Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Don X120

Doom Episode 1 v1.2 - 2 disk floppy

Paging @Linguica and @fraggle, they'll know for sure.

It's hard for me to find hard figures, but going by this ebay item, which is Doom v1.2 registered, not shareware, I'd say they're probably worth a couple hundred at least, possibly more because those copies are shareware, but I don't know how many of those were ever manufactured, so I can't say with any amount of certainty.

Shareware disks are rarely worth a whole lot, because the whole purpose of shareware was that literally anyone could make their own copies. I actually have no idea if id Software ever commissioned their own, uh, "first-party" run of shareware disks or anything.

True, the software itself is probably near worthless, but the physical items themselves could have some value, couldn't they?

Though, the possibility exists that the software could've been copied onto other diskettes (which I'd be willing to bet happened a lot) for people to, well, share, thus vastly inflating the number of physical copies in the world.

Minor edit: A minor variable just struck me, and that's the fact that diskettes aren't manufactured anymore, so I imagine that even if there were a million diskettes with the shareware on them, they'd be worth more than a nickel, especially today, since they were replaced and stopped being manufactured and support was beginning to be phased out starting in about 2002.

The value in these disks would them being the actual disks that came in an actual shareware box with an "authentic" label and so on. How much value that would be is another story.

My understanding of the shareware disks is that there were never any "official" shareware disks made by id / GT. If you have shareware disks they're made by shareware distributors, of which there were dozens all over the world. Anyone could legally make and sell copies of shareware Doom.

Like @Pegleg said, if they came in a nice box along with other stuff then you might find someone willing to pay a fair bit for them. If they're just a couple of old floppies, they're probably not going to fetch much.

Thanks All, that all makes sense they’re probably from a distributor. I have had them from new but the box (if they came in a box) went the journey a long time ago. I guess it’s back to work next week! Thanks for the advice. 

For these types of things, boxes and instructions (if any) is where most of the value comes from. As you know, the box generally gets tossed so the box makes it much more rare. Just look over ebay and see what sells. Even some shareware items can fetch some decent money, but it needs to have the box.

I have the registered floppies of doom doom2 heretic and hexen but I doubt they work