Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

If Doom had a Battle Royale mode??

I would think of the exact same gameplay style of PUBG/Fortnite in Doom, without building, and driving vehicles. Could be a fresh and unique variation which still delivers on everything we love about the ‘Last Man Standing’ multiplayer template alongside new stuff such as lootboxes and bigger maps.

Well, I can't tell much more about it, so suggestions are always welcome. 

I think this concept wouldn't be fun to play because of the inherent limited movement. And loot boxes sound like a horrible idea.

Just my two cents.

It's about execution. In my opinion Battle Royale success is not about the loot or whatever mechanic you put around it. Instead I think the strong point of BR is that death is the end for you (bringing tension and excitement) BUT that you can keep playing after dying by starting a new game.

This can be put in contrast to traditional deathmatch where you can respawn almost immediately in the same match (death is casual and a mere point in the score-board) and to LMS/Round-based systems where the game punish you making you wait to the next round if you die (death is important, but it is boring)

There is also the "you vs the world" element that is a nice refresh from all the team-based toxicity-filled games that are out there

If you know the original Japanese novel/movie with the same name, you know the most of ideas about PUGB and BR style games.

I just tired these games after PUGB and everyone just try to copy it with/without their own style and shit. :(

On 6/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, TFK said:

I would think of the exact same gameplay style of PUBG/Fortnite in Doom, without building, and driving vehicles. Could be a fresh and unique variation which still delivers on everything we love about the ‘Last Man Standing’ multiplayer template alongside new stuff such as lootboxes and bigger maps.

Don't give ideas for a next Brutal Doom update please?
jk :D

Personally, I think that it wouldn't suit the style of the game. Besides...isn't DM, CTF, Invasion and other modes not enough already?

Can you describe the gameplay for those of us that don't know what you're talking about?

On 6/2/2018 at 12:26 PM, Worm318 said:

It's about execution. In my opinion Battle Royale success is not about the loot or whatever mechanic you put around it. Instead I think the strong point of BR is that death is the end for you (bringing tension and excitement) BUT that you can keep playing after dying by starting a new game.

This can be put in contrast to traditional deathmatch where you can respawn almost immediately in the same match (death is casual and a mere point in the score-board) and to LMS/Round-based systems where the game punish you making you wait to the next round if you die (death is important, but it is boring)

There is also the "you vs the world" element that is a nice refresh from all the team-based toxicity-filled games that are out there

I don't know the game, but the way you describe the death mechanic is interesting in general, and, you're right: the way death is handled plays a big role in how a game is received. For Doom:

• Standard play: Play till you die, start over with nothing at the beginning of the level
  • Standard, w/saving: Play till you die, start over with everything at last save point
  • DM: Start with nothing at a random spot, but retain fragcount (which is all that really counts)
  • Coop: Restart at beginning, losing weapons, ammo, and armor, but without losing killing progress

What I'm getting at is this: The results of dying are very different in each of these scenarios, and it contributes greatly to how each game mode feels. You seem to infer that Battle Royal is also interesting, due to how death is handled. Can you elaborate? And, would it be good in Doom? (I'm always looking for different, interesting gameplay modes for Doom)

Most Battle Royale games avoid the frustration of waiting for the next round to start after you die by making it so that there's nothing keeping you from just leaving a game after you die, and also by using matchmaking so after you drop out you can just hop into another queue and quickly get into another game.

Doom's current multiplayer ports don't exactly allow for this sort of thing all that well. It'd be possible to set up something like a personalized Painkiller or whatever the current hostbots are to emulate this, though there's still an issue on whether or not you'd get the playerbase to support that kind of system.

That said, that sort of system would be really nice for ZDoom Wars, but again, playerbase is still a concern ...

9 hours ago, kb1 said:

Can you describe the gameplay for those of us that don't know what you're talking about?

I'm impressed you've managed to avoid knowing how Battle Royale games work! It seems like they're everywhere right now.

But in a nutshell, they're 100 player last-man-standing deathmatches where you have just one life. The 100 players are parachuted into the map (which is huge, think miles across. You have some control over where you land). You land with no weapons or gear, but the map is strewn with upgrades and armor and weapons etc. Slowly, a giant damaging forcefield closes in on a single, random point in the map, and if you walk into it you die. So as the game progresses the forcefield forces the remaining players closer and closer until the last two are fighting it out in a tiny arena. Games typically last 20 minutes or so.

The maps are a combination of open space, forests, cliffs, buildings, that kind of thing. And often there are vehicles for getting around quicker. To play well, you have to strike a balance between being agressive to get the best gear and stay away from the forcefield, but careful so you don't expose yourself to unnecessary firefights until later in the game. 

The top two games in the world are both Battle Royale games, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite (the latter is Epic Games' creation). Fortnite alone has over 40 million unique players every month.

Zandronum or a new source port are probably the best choice (And last man standing + some modding does the rest), doesn't mean it won't lag like crap. 

Well i do think if doom had a battle royal it would change the history of battle royal games not only would doom been the first first person shooter it would also be the first battle royal it could have an effect on the reliese of serval games though out history  

16 hours ago, kb1 said:

Can you elaborate? And, would it be good in Doom?

Not sure if I can elaborate it well, but: 

The thing about death in the other modes is that it's an annoyance. You die in single-player? You lose a lot of progress, but you kinda get an information reward as you now know what you're gonna encounter further ahead. In Coop? You must recollect resources, but dead monsters are still dead. In DM? A mere right-click and you're back, and now you know how the other guy plays.

In Battle Royale death is a hard punishment. You actually care a lot about not dying, not because it's annoying that you must wait, repeat a section or because of the scoreboard, but because if you die, you simply lose. It's maybe annoying because you must start again the process of looting, but it's different because now you have new opponents and you will get different resources to survive. Other important aspects: starting with no equipment is important to avoid too early kills that can frustrate players. And the player number being high enough: being the only survivor of 100 players is a good meaty reward in itself I think.

About being good in Doom, I don't know. Vanilla arsenal is mostly for close combat, which motivates players to get in close quarters, but it's either too deadly (and players die fast) or inefective (fighting is boring). I think fast movement should be granted as a sort of powerup to promote looting and lower the power of weapons (or make powerful ones really scarce or ammo limited). I'm also unsure about simply using similar layouts to existing BR games but mostly because copying them would not be interesting and because they're outdoors and Doom is mostly about closed spaces imo. I would make it like a giant space station, with sectors being filled with poisonous gas and then lockdown to force players to get close to each other

Edited by Worm318

39 minutes ago, Worm318 said:

The thing about death in the other modes is that it's an annoyance. You die in single-player? You lose a lot of progress, but you kinda get an information reward as you now know what you're gonna encounter further ahead. In Coop? You must recollect resources, but dead monsters are still dead. In DM? A mere right-click and you're back, and now you know how the other guy plays.

In Battle Royale death is a hard punishment. You actually care a lot about not dying, not because it's annoying that you must wait, repeat a section or because of the scoreboard, but because if you die, you simply lose.

Fortunately in here we have the ironman session each month (if it's related) which, you must played a designated wad and you have only one chance. If you die, game over and wait for the next month. Talk about not dying to reach the highest goal...

42 minutes ago, Worm318 said:

I think fast movement should be granted as a sort of powerup to promote looting and lower the power of weapons (or make powerful ones really scarce or ammo limited).

Correct me if I'm wrong but...isn't Zandro have special powerups which allows to increase speed, power and defense in all MP modes???

3 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

What's with the talk of Battle Royale?

Because that specific gameplay mode is like the trending topic of games now.

31 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Fortunately in here we have the ironman session each month (if it's related) which, you must played a designated wad and you have only one chance. If you die, game over and wait for the next month. Talk about not dying to reach the highest goal...

Huh yeah, but one thing is for the players to force themselves to not respawn and another one is for the game/mod to force that. I wanna clarify though that death as a definitive game over is not a new thing, roguelikes are old and have had the mechanic forever. I only said it was the most important aspect BR had (not the looting, vehicles, map structure, whatever, but they help)

Correct me if I'm wrong but...isn't Zandro have special powerups which allows to increase speed, power and defense in all MP modes???

I think so. At least Skulltag had them, not sure if Zandro inherited them and has them out of the box or if it needs the skulltag PK3 

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Because that specific gameplay mode is like the trending topic of games now.

Well umm...battle royale isn't really new actually. It's been done before, known as last man standing.

5 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well umm...battle royale isn't really new actually. It's been done before, known as last man standing.

Yes, I know but looks like it's more "popular" now and newer players are discovering that

10 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Yes, I know but looks like it's more "popular" now and newer players are discovering that

Yeah.

2 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I'm no Battle Royale fan, but this isn't really accurate. Last man standing is certainly one part of what defines a Battle Royale game, but it also necessarily includes other things like: large numbers of players (100 is typical), large outdoor map that shrinks over time, scavenging for upgrades during the game, and player chosen spawn points.

It owes it's history as much to the Survival genre as deathmatch.

You mean Death Match? It does. Just put it to one death. I mean you do scavenge for weapons in death match.

I think it would play like crap without massive rebalancing. Other than initial map set ups, doom is so fast paced and in your face, that it would just lead to pure frustration if you didn't get the right spawn. for one life deathmatch ideas, I remember this custom map in halo 3, where 8 people would all spawn in 1 of 4 boxes, then after 20 seconds two of the four boxes would connect, and then the new found boxes would connect to the top of the pyramid. I think this would work far better for doom.

I don't think a PUBG-styled battle royale would work very well. I could see a large scale last man standing game with lots of players being pretty fun if you could get enough people, but Doom is definitely not made for the format most battle royale games are built around.

No thanks, Battlefield and Call of Duty are already bowing down at the feet of contemporary trends and they're going to pay for it when the bubble quickly bursts. I'm glad that id Software is content to give us more of what we already love rather than seeking to abandon us for the sake of trend chasing. You don't build a legacy by chasing trends, you build a legacy by making trends. The Original Doom wasn't content with being like everyone else, everyone else wanted to emulate Doom.

That's the problem, the industry finds a concept that was successful for a single game and think ripping it off is going to make their own franchises better. If someone wanted a Battle Royale, they already have Fortnite and PUBG. Instead of being more like them, games should be wanting to do their own thing and try to innovate in their own ways.