Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

- Since it's an Earth setting, it's obviously going to have bigger maps than 2016, and I really hope the player will move fast, maybe ditch that Speed power-up and make it the regular player speed.
- Weapons that are already useful without requiring upgrades (looking at you Chaingun and Shotgun)
- More than 20 shells starting limit.

Just now, Danarchy said:

A better editor, hopefully.

Definitely. I am not expecting something capable of doing TC's, but at least something that allows us to freely draw room forms and make outdoor areas, and allow to interconect maps as custom campaigns.

Less Arenas / More Level design variety.

Better Multiplayer.

Better Level Editor.

more Doom.

EDIT: also Coop! not through SnapMap or whatever the new Map editor will be called please.

Edited by dmg_64

More sprawling intricate levels where the big encounters aren't put into contained arenas strictly, etc. Just any cool dazzling fun to traverse interesting level design, and the gameplay flow therein. That's the only improvement I'd need.

2 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

This too. I liked the occasional area, but the game seemed to overdo it.

Coop would be nice

Doesn't even need to be the singleplayer campaign but a separate one.

If it has the same competitive multiplayer from Doom '16, no thanks

-Level design more familiar to the originals. I don't exactly mind the arena gameplay but the level design you see in say The Foundry starts to be less common by the second half of the game.

-A more robust editor at launch would definitely be an improvement. It took SnapMap like a year of updates to get somewhere, but there are still things that make it felt incomplete, like not all enemies available to choose from and too many bugs to count.

-A better starting Shotgun. Give it some range and power, why should a shotgun have some short range?

-Better multiplayer.

-Chaingunners.

Edited by GuyNamedErick : Chaingunners

17 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Better Multiplayer.

Better Level Editor.

more Doom.

This. Also i'm not sure about faster speed, the game is fast paced enough. I'm hoping for more variation and strategies during the encounters. Some High-tension moments with great and memorable maps. Most of Doom 2016 dev was about getting the combat sistem right, hope they have more time to focus on level design.

I already expect a high quality singleplayer, besides that, a good multiplayer mode would be a nice distraction. I don't think the game will be much faster, considering the super detailed graphics, but even though I liked the arena based combat of the first one, I would like if they had less of that to differentiate the former from the latter. Also: Daisy references.

An Improved Multiplayer

Improved Snap Map

Possibly Mod Support?
I Also Kind Hope They Ditch The Arena Style Combat. Wasnt A Fan Of It. Not Sure Why

Less reliance on arena lockdowns. I like the arena gameplay, but I'd rather they make it difficult to leave thanks to monster usage and layout design, rather than having a door unlock after the room is cleaned up. I'd also like layouts to be more interconnected, and loop around more, with less quiet corridors bridging the gaps between arenas.

Would also like a COOP mode.

Edited by Mason.

I'm desperately hoping we see a "non power armor" assault rifle and a zombie to wield it. A 7.62x51 weapon with a big drum magazine working as an "SMG" of sorts could be a fun addition to the arsenal, or alternatively a retake on the Burst Rifle.

Gorramit, plasma-toting power-armored undead is fun, but at one point you just want the old security vest, carbine, and green flat-top guys to brawl with back.

MODDING. PLEASE.  DID I SAY MODDING? 

More levels like the Foundry, less levels like Lazarus Labs and onward. The later levels were very linear for some reason. I made a lengthy post speculating why this was the case: 

Less reliance on Glory Kills, more usage of medkits and ammo pickups. It feels like these were added at the last moment. Resource management is super important in Doom.

HITSCANNERS! A proper classic shooter has perfectly balanced Projectile, Melee and Hitscanning enemies. Doom 2016 did a pretty good job with the first two but lacked hitscanners. Since this is basically Hell on Earth, it would be a good time to introduce Chaingunners.

No useless upgrades please. Everyone picked the ones on the right and ignored the ones on the left.

Proper difficulty modes, at least one. The unlockable one should increase enemy count and introduce tougher enemies faster, like the originals.

More varied Hell levels. What we got in 2016 was great and very authentic but could have used more variety. 

The Blood Fueled rune should be on by default. 

That's all I can think of right now.

Edited by DooM_RO

Longer story, more open areas, a little more serious. The combat system was fine the way it already was in Doom 2016, and I couldn't care less about the MP component.

Definitely more level design like Foundry and Argent Facility, less lockdown arena parts that became a bit too frequent in the second half of Doom '16. 

Quality singleplayer DLC.

48 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

MODDING. PLEASE.  DID I SAY MODDING? 

If there's a plan to release DLCs, there's no modding support. Period.

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

If there's a plan to release DLCs, there's no modding support. Period.

Why? TES and Fallout have DLCs but support modding.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

Why? TES and Fallout have DLCs but support modding.

Doom 2016 didn't have it, so why should we expect modding? And even if it gets in, I doubt it will be as moddable as OG Doom is.

Seems like many of us felt like The Foundry was the best designed level in Doom 2016. I'd definitely like to see more non-linear maps like that.

That plus slightly bigger fights and I'll be a happy bunny!

I thought in a DLC with classic skins for demons but then I saw that it wasn't necessary. They did an awesome job with all of them but I dont feel the same with Cyberdemon.

I know they'll keep his design but they could give him legs with more minotaur's style.

Or the way he dies in E2M8. I would love to see him explode except his feet or give the option to do him a glory kill.

15 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Seems like many of us felt like The Foundry was the best designed level in Doom 2016. I'd definitely like to see more non-linear maps like that.

That plus slightly bigger fights and I'll be a happy bunny!

For me, it was the first half of the game, meaning up until Advanced Research Facilities but even that level was pretty good because after you go outside, it feels like a different level, making it feel larger than it actually is. The game only starts going downhill once you reach Lazarus.

What it absolutely needs is larger, more complex levels with truly challenging keycard hunts.  Now that they're doing "Hell on Earth," this is the perfect opportunity to open up the levels big time and get away from the straight-forward chain of arena battles that DOOM '16's later levels devolved into.  I would also like to see more interactivity in the form of switches, lifts, elevators, etc.

Of course SnapMap must also be massively improved and expanded.  All singleplayer content should be available, from weapons and enemies (including bosses) to basic, but essential features like the automap.  Additionally, the absurd 12-demon limit must go and players should be given more freedom to create unique rooms and environments.  Blocking volumes are cool and all, but they just aren't good enough.

And yes, mod tools would be nice.  Realistically though, even if we got them I doubt the vast majority of us would ever be able to do jack squat with them.  Modern editors tend to be stupidly complex and time-consuming which, in my experience, all but sucks the fun out of designing levels/custom content.