Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Eternal is a game, that exists

I'm actually curious about how long this game is after the first (reboot). I mean, it's clearly been a while since earth was invaded, how long was the Doom Slayer trapped before this?

MANY CLASSIC ENEMIES. MUCH WOW!!!

Though those Arachnatrons and Imps look awfully a lot like their Doom 64 counterparts. Which is strange considering the other "new" demon shown (for the new series anyways), the Pain Elemental looks extremely Classic DOOM 2. (so does the archvile, but it cant possibly look anything other than classic.)

And that classic-style DOOM Marine armor... also noticed his sleeveless attire. SUNS OUT, GUNS OUT!!!

2 minutes ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Was at Quakecon for the world premier of the last one, can't wait to see this new one there!

See ya there!

It's 4am as of now and I'll just say it was worth staying up for that reveal alone.

Arachnotrons, Pain Elementals, Archviles, angry looking worm monsters... I hope SnapMap returns with those fuckers at my disposal.

1 minute ago, Heks said:

I smiled rly hard when I saw the arch-vile. They NAILED the look.

Thought this teaser really pretty much nailed everything, tbh. <3 <3 <3

It was incredibly well done. Seemed like it was really borrowing elements and paying tribute to many monsters and designs from all eras of DOOM thus far.

And even as a teaser, the music was perfect.

I'm just glad they won't be showing it behind closed doors like they did with Doom (2016). 1095733552_Screenshot(712).png.7ce3e84d448c26a844a4321b846466a6.png

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

It appears that the Barons are going to have laser swords akin to the Cyberdemon, the Arch-Vile makes a glorious return (as does the Pain Elemental), Arachnotrons are back (and actually bear a resemblance to their Doom 64 version but with their plasma gun being like a scorpion's tail). Also, the Imps have more spikes and are far closer to their classic appearances (complete with red eyes).

We're in for a full homecoming.

If it has hitscan rifle-toting classic-style zombies to fight absolute horde battles with, I'm buying it day one.

2 minutes ago, Eligos said:

I'm just glad they won't be showing it behind closed doors like they did with Doom (2016). 1095733552_Screenshot(712).png.7ce3e84d448c26a844a4321b846466a6.png

I get why people didn't like it, but I understand one of the reasons they did it. For years they had been teasing us for or being aloof when asked questions about a new Doom game at Quakecon and by showing it there first was kind of like a thank you and "sorry for the wait" reward to the Quakecon die-hards. 

I'm optimistic and excited. 

Don't hurt me (plenty), Marty. Please be gentle (hey, not too rough). 

Tbh, i haven't played any of the newfangled doom games. All welp, 3rd time's a charm? 

39 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

Though those Arachnatrons and Imps look awfully a lot like their Doom 64 counterparts

From what little we could see of the arachnotrons, they looked straight from doom 64 (biggest difference being the cannon)

Eternal Doom already existed. Good remake.

Anyway...

Teaser looks awesome. Just happy to see arachnatrons and they have a gun on top now! It makes sense since its already towering. Pain elemental?

Anyway... Doom 4 was the first day 1 $60 purchase I made in 10 years. Doom 5 will be the same.

On further inspection, it appears that Doomslayer’s SSG actually has a bayonet. 

EDIT: It even looks like the bayonet from that scrapped rifle bayonet from the Doom Alpha. 

Edited by Man of Doom

58 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

From what little we could see of the arachnotrons, they looked straight from doom 64 (biggest difference being the cannon)

Now in discussion I had with some of the id developers last year (both in person and via messenger), they did confirm that a lot of elements from DOOM 2016 were directly borrowed/influenced by DOOM 64. In fact, a lot of the later hell/d'nur levels were designed in comparison to hell levels from DOOM 64. They would actually boot up D64 on one screen, and observe the styles used in certain areas and build their own variations and layouts on another with the DOOM 2016 toolset. There seemed to be quite a few that really enjoyed DOOM 64 as their personal favorite in the series.

Now, how that plays out in the story of DOOM 2016/Eternal, I do not know, but it all makes sense now seeing how we are seeing a variation of DOOM 64-inspired enemies as well as those of classic DOOM 1/2. Though the DOOM Slayer we see standing here in this teaser, as he points his super shotty at the demons looks extremely reminiscent of the sleevless DOOM 64 marine (though of course, its hard to tell, but that armor does look quite a bit more classic in style than the praetor suit. It could also be compared to the DOOM attire from Quake 3 Arena model). I've attached both below for comparison

maxresdefault.jpg

doomslayercompare.jpg

Edited by Buckshot

So doing a little bit of math, if Doom Eternal is going to have twice the amount of demon variants (including bosses), then that should amount to about 40 types of demons. 

Just for comparison, Doom 3 has the most diverse cast of demons so far, and it has about 24 types (including bosses). 

That is actually quite impressive. 

3 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

So doing a little bit of math, if Doom Eternal is going to have twice the amount of demon variants (including bosses), then that should amount to about 40 types of demons. 

Just for comparison, Doom 3 has the most diverse cast of demons so far, and it has about 24 types (including bosses). 

That is actually quite impressive. 

I was wondering if they were implying demon types or demon count, as in "more demons on screen attacking you". Intersting that I didn't consider the former for some reason.