Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

5 hours ago, MAJ said:

Julian Nechaevskyfabian, thanks for answers. I hope you can add correct translation from Russian Doom.

I want this. :3 So Crispness menu in settings app should be enable again and there must be an option wich disable or enable in-game Crispness menu.

P.S. And also would be great to add aspect ratio choice in settings app. Full screen option better be move to Advanced menu instead Force correct aspect ratio option.

Replace the "stretch to 16:9" option with a "stretch to aspect ratio of display resolution" and I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. Unfortunately, the devs of Chocolate Doom decided to remove support for pixel perfect 16:10 in the setup program because they don't want to "add a ton of useless options to support an aspect ratio that's wrong in the first place", as explained here

6 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I know your main priority is Doom here, but could you please add kill/item/secret counters to Crispy Heretic's automap? It's a small thing that'd make all the difference for me.

I am absolutely not opposed to this, and the required code change would actually be pretty easy. However, this is a pretty invasive change to the look of the Automap and thus the feature would need a switch in a Crispness menu which has yet to be added. Altogether, this would be about half a weekend of coding work for me to get it right - and this for a game that i don't even play myself. But, I am looking forward to pull requests! ;)

6 hours ago, MAJ said:

I want this. :3

That'd be Chocolate Doom.

6 hours ago, MAJ said:

P.S. And also would be great to add aspect ratio choice in settings app. Full screen option better be move to Advanced menu instead Force correct aspect ratio option.

You may try your look with a pull request at the Choco issue tracker, but as @Danfun64 already stated, chances are pretty low that only seldomly used  configuration options will find their way into the setup tool.

47 minutes ago, fabian said:

That'd be Chocolate Doom.

Yep and I want an option which bring back this vanilla menu view in Crispy Doom.

Sorry, no, I find it absurd to force users to find an option in the setup tool to activate a menu in the game to activate an option they are looking for. This is out of question.

Just now, fabian said:

Sorry, no, I find it absurd to force users to find an option in the setup tool to activate a menu in the game to activate an option they are looking for. This is out of question.

You misunderstood, in-game Crispness menu stay enabled by default and I want just an option in settings app to bring back vanilla menu view. Other words, I want to see completely vanilla Doom with Crispy graphic features. :)

Edited by MAJ

I apologize if this is a dumb question that is answered a trillion times.

Since I'm used to the gamma setting like Competition Doom, I want to change the gamma in game, but I can't find a way to change it. Where can I set this up?

Oops, I've found it...

Edited by GarrettChan

Also I noticed that Crispy Doom don't have exit sounds. It will be good to see an option in Crispness menu which enables it among vanilla menu view option.

It only omits the exit sounds if you have the ENDOOM screen disabled. 

Better be to add a separate option. I don't like an ENDOOM screen, but I love exit sounds.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:33 PM, MAJ said:

You misunderstood, in-game Crispness menu stay enabled by default and I want just an option in settings app to bring back vanilla menu view. Other words, I want to see completely vanilla Doom with Crispy graphic features. 🙂

Still, I don't see much value in this. Crispy has developed into much more than just high-resolution Chocolate Doom.

12 hours ago, MAJ said:

Better be to add a separate option. I don't like an ENDOOM screen, but I love exit sounds.

And I don't like menu options for each and every change. 😉

In this case, can you release please a "lite" version of Crispy Doom, which is Chocolate Doom + enhanced resolution with high resolution rendering + uncapped framerate + extended automap colors (optional) and that's all. Is it hard to make it? I have long dreamed about this. Or just add "lite mode" in current version, if you don't like extra options. 😉

P.S. Given the number of changes, it's better to designate new version like 6.0 :)

Edited by MAJ

@MAJ you have a real sense of entitlement, all you can do is suggest options, they wont necessarily be implemented - especially if you badger people.

I'd just like to say - THANK YOU for making the changed automap colors optional in the new release. It's what kept me from using this source port for a long time, since it's one thing to fix obvious bugs and not provide a menu switch, and quite another to change such a subjective feature like the automap look. I'm sure lots of other people find the original colors essential for the vanilla experience.

Right now this is definitely my favorite "vanilla enhanced" port. Are there any plans to bring back the support for Heretic and Hexen in their SDL2 incarnation? Either way, thanks for giving us purists less headaches after playing so much chunky 320x200 Doom in Chocolate. ;)

On 5/10/2018 at 9:45 AM, Lila Feuer said:

Or you could just make your own source port.

Because that's an easy thing to pick up right?

Fabian doesn't have to add shit... but they're not bad suggestions. Especially the exit sounds one.

I noticed that in Icon of Sin, the dsbossit.wav doesnt seem to play unless I idclip past the teleporter

So, it does not play if you walk *through* the teleporter? Please note that the IOS is a special case and may behave differently after loading a savegame or entering the map a second time...

yeah it doesnt play when I go in the intended way.  I wasnt loading a save file, but I was using idclev to test some things.  it's not an issue that I've noticed in other ports and I dont remember it being in previous versions of crispy

I have just entered the map twice in a row (by using IDCLEV) and walked through the teleporter and heard the sound.

Single play sounds are tricky in Doom. Could be a SlientBFG-type issue, where the sound being played in a particular sound channel is being swapped for another sound (like the teleport sound). Maybe try the test again, and try to do an open door action while entering the teleport. Also, check it out with different channel settings (number of channels being mixed, surround/stereo, pitched sounds, etc.) Not sure how many sound options are there, but it seems like a good place to start.

This source-port began to sink even when the support of the heretic was thrown out. All that people post is complaining.

5 hours ago, riderr3 said:

This source-port began to sink even when the support of the heretic was thrown out. All that people post is complaining.

The fact that people are taking the time to post suggests that a lot of people love the port (which suggests that, no, it's not sinking.) And, asking for something to be added or changed is not the same thing as "complaining." Sure, it could be labeled as such. That's like labeling "I'm hungry" as a complaint. Calling it a complaint infers that not enough food has been served, when, in fact, blame was not included in the statement.

It's a matter of degree. Notice the difference between these two statements:

1. When I'm using (source port P), and I do (action X), (result Y) occurs. This can be annoying, because (reason Z). Could you consider adding (option Q) to your menu?
  2. (Source port P) sucks, because every time I do (action X), (result Y) occurs. That's just stupid - why would you make it work like that? Fix it, or I'll have to switch to (source-port S).

Yes, both could be considered complaining. But, in #1, the user takes responsibility for being annoyed, explains why it's a problem, and asks the author to consider making a change.

In #2, the user insults the port, the functionality, and the port author. And then proceeds to threaten to abandon ship (good riddance) if the port author does not comply.

Both types of posts can and do occur in most all source port threads. Why do you single out Crispy Doom as being the port that receives complaints?

Here's a tiny thing that could possibly be port related:

So I was doing a status bar for myself to use in other mapper's megawad, namely Zone 300. The thing is, when I finished the bar I went to test it using Crispy (4.2). This is what's shown at first:

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png.23a53f930c50596a0aef89d05d10a973.png

Looks how it is supposed to be. Then if I grab a weapon or type idkfa, this is what's shown:

Spoiler

DOOM0001.png.980956eddcc5a4349b01bbe157d48ffc.png

Lumps STYSNUM0-9 don't have any brown pixels originally as you can see in picture 1, just the gold pixels. This is very odd to me, I don't know what that happens. To make sure it wasn't related to SlumpED, I tested on GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4. and ZDoom, and in both there are no weird overlapped pixels. 

Spoiler

QpCF8dN.png

Lastly, tested in Crispy 5.1 and Choco 3.0.0, to see the issue in picture 2 is there too. Any idea why that happens only in Choco and Crispy?

Also here's the bar if it's needed: statusbar.zip

10 hours ago, fabian said:

Is this possibly some part of the "FRAG" part of the status bar lurking through? This should be fixed in Crispy Doom since this commit

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/443673e3658ea9d12956be5dd04ce97055d54cb7#diff-48bb0195e81b3a6b8c186164690090c1

I guess so, the FRAG part is all brown so what you're saying makes sense, thanks!

Update June 20, 2018: Crispy Doom 5.2 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatibile with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.2 has been released on June 20, 2018. This release introduces many new features and sections in the Crispness menu, including a new "Rendering" section, a "Crosshair" section for crosshair options including health-based coloring and highlighting on target, and a "Demos" section with options for demo recording and playback timers as well as the demo progress bar. Furthermore, there is smooth diminishing lighting, additional gamma correction levels, increased number of sound channels and support for taller textures as well as numerous other improvements and bug fixes.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom#History_of_changes

The Crispy Doom source code is available at GitHub:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_5.2.zip
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom-music-pack_5.1.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Very nice. Thanks fabian. Will check out the new features now.

Edit: Really love the timer for demo recording, so I'll use more Crispy Doom for D2/Final Doom compat maps.

Edited by GarrettChan