Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMPhobos

Multiplayer speculation

What do you guys think we are gonna see for the multiplayer on the new game? Are we gonna see competitive multiplayer at all considering the lukewarm reception it had on the last game? (not to mention that id's MP muscle is busy with Quake) or are we going to see an overhaul?

Personally i would love to see a Coop mode on the main campaign, i loved the previous game but the lack of coop was notable and snap map was a terrible substitute for it, i really REALLY hope id makes a proper coop mode

Coop mode

FFA Weapon pick up mode

Arcade Horde mode

Spoiler

how do i delete this mother fucking box!!!!

Echoing coop mode. But if competitive multiplayer makes a reappearance, I'd wish for it to feel more like classic Doom than Quake or anything else. A dozen marines sliding around like hovercars and dying, respawning, and dying again every 10 seconds is something you can't get anywhere else.

I really hope they update Doom 4 and not segregate the pool of players.  I could see the same thing happening with SnapMap.

coop would be neat, an official hoard mode would be bad ass. I like the mp, I hope they expand off of it in some form at least. My number one concern for multiplayer is any kind of form of anti cheat, haveing someone whip out a bfg 2 minutes in the map and fire off 10 rounds really sucks.

I hope they ditch competitive MP. I mean they already have Doomslayer in Quake Champions. Just play that if you want Doom MP. Focus on COOP this time.

I have ceased caring about MP completely a while ago, but even so, I'd be a bad liar if I said I wouldn't want to see co-op, I'm a sucker for that thing.

5 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I hope they ditch competitive MP. I mean they already have Doomslayer in Quake Champions. Just play that if you want Doom MP. Focus on COOP this time.

Quake Champions was dreadful to play, though, I found even Doom 4's multiplayer more entertaining and stable.

I want to see something a lot like how Halo 3 did it back in good 'ol 2007.

Competitive multiplayer was vanilla arena shooter. No create-a-class. No 1 minute long queue times (srsly wtf...). No dancing Doom-Marines at the end of the match...

Developers did really fun community events pretty weekly. Ie. Griffball, Shotties vs Snipers, etc... in their own casual "event" playlist.

> This is where DOOM 2016's main multiplayer mode belongs. The entire thing was party-mode through and through. Not even a hint of that classic DOOM spirit was present. Demon transformations are fun, but not competitive at all.

Forge mode with a massively customizable game modes in their own "Custom playlist" section. This combination allowed for the most fun I have ever had in a video game with other people.

At its surface, Infection was zombies, but its real strength was that it was a highly configurable asymmetric gametype. Doom needs this if I'm ever to experience the kind of fun I had with Jenga, Halo on Halo, Fat Kid, Smear the Queer, Gravity Well, Shark Attack, Duck Hunt...

Ultimately, DOOM Eternal is in a unique place to satisfy this in my life; as there are no other contenders for arena shooters in the public eye right now. None have the publicity or attention-grabbing brutality that DOOM 2016 has generated.

Plus, DOOM 2016 tried to do this with Snapmap. They were trying for this, but failed because of dumb resource limits.

5 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Quake Champions was dreadful to play, though, I found even Doom 4's multiplayer more entertaining and stable.

I agree. I was so hoping that when the dude wearing a Quake hat and shirt came on and was trying to hype the crowd up for some "news" that he was gonna tease a reboot. Figured it wouldn't happen, but one can dream right?

Personally I wish for same multiplayer with more guns to pickup or third gun in loadout. With spectator mode, ladder e t.c. shit that made Doom more playable, more competitive. Doom MP must be simple, fast and brutal. Doom was mother of all deathmatches, deathmatches must be in Doom and possibly better than in Doom '16.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:08 PM, Jaxxoon R said:

Quake Champions was dreadful to play

Have you tried it recently? I'v been really enjoying it, I feel they've made some massive improvements. Speaking of Doom Eternal's mp (if there will be any) and quake champions, pretty sure sabre are the ones working on Quake Champions, so it's hard for me to see them working on Doom Eternal's (goodness that's a mouth full, gotta find a way to abbreviate that.) Multiplayer. Who knows, but I doubt id's main team will be the ones working on the mp, could be wrong. Bethesda has been pulling in so many teams for so many projects, it's very hard to speculate on how this will turn out.

Also, D16's mp was absolutely nothing like call of duty, so don't know where you're drawing that one from.

17 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Hopefully they don't cheap out and outsource it like last time. I want id to develop it this time. This is DOOM dammit not "Call of Doom-y".

Other than the "Custom classes" with 2 weapons loadout, Doom 2016 played nothing like Call of Duty, that said, i do hope that if there's a competitive multiplayer in the new doom, id develops it this time, since D16 Multiplayer did got better once Id started calling the shots

I'm ok with multiplayer if they can do it right. I would actually be perfectly ok if they didn't include any multiplayer in Doom Eternal at all. I wouldn't miss aa thing about it.

The only thing that will make me buy it is if co-op campaign is a thing. I really dislike snap map as a substitute as well. 

I loved how other Doom games had coop campaign, especially the third, on Xbox

I bet they will export it again because they don't want to deal with it. It probably will be still with loadouts and such so I am not interested. They know that the single player campaign is enough to make a good profit.

There is a chance they might change their tune because the multiplayer gave Doom bad press before it came out. But now that people know the single player and multiplayer were and probably will still be basically two separate games in one package they are probably not to worried about doing it again.

Hopefully, they learn their lesson this time and don't outsource it. They might just go for singleplayer now, since that's what it was famous for.

I would like classic style doom multiplayer, though.