Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Rush

I'm glad (and proud) to announce that I haven't killed myself with my rockets this time:

Category 1, I died (from UV to HNTR) on map 2-3-10

I'm still not a fan of slaughterwads especialy when there's Arch-viles in the mix.

Cat 2. Out of all ironman wad picks throughout history, this is the third wad that I was familiar with, the other two being Jenesis and BTSX way back.

...I need to play more stuff.

UV: Reached MAP04 in 42:14, then died killing 212/602 monsters. I'm... not actually sure what happened there? A revenant missile circled around my back? PROBABLY???? Bleurgh.

HMP: Reached MAP08 in 41:50, then died killing 161/163 monsters. "Okay, I've survived this map. The last room is easy, there is no way I'll fuck it up." *BLAM*

HNTR: Reached MAP11 in 34:00, then died killing 31/276 monsters. An even more blasphemous boast, an even more embarassing failure. At least this time I learned to keep it until AFTER the last room is cleared.

Oh, and, by the way, this run is keyboard-only, same as all my past ironman runs, and all my future ironman runs unless specified otherwise. And Now You Know

2 hours ago, HexaDoken said:

this run is keyboard-only

And Now You Know

image.png.9a9938d4b1d55e72023906b880641f47.png

So who all is in the Keyboard Cup now? (Assuming such a thing exists and wasn't just Steve D's invention last month.)

You, @Steve D, @Jaws In Space, anyone else?

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

image.png.9a9938d4b1d55e72023906b880641f47.png

So who all is in the Keyboard Cup now? (Assuming such a thing exists and wasn't just Steve D's invention last month.)

I think HexaDoken said that he wouldn't want to participate in the Keyboard Kup. But maybe he changed his mind. 

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

It was Jaws who invented it by calling me out in January. He promptly won every Kup until I finally got a win last month. Jaws plays blind and I play Cat 3, so I always have to get into the map beyond the one he died in to get a win. Btw, I forgot to mention that I did a blind practice run of Khorus's map Warlock's Hearth, but a month after the competition was over. I managed to kill 100 monsters before I died. Jaws killed 117 that month, so he'd have won yet again. I suppose this means that on single-map months, I probably can't win by doing a Cat 3 run, so I might have to play blind, which is pretty much a guaranteed loss, but at least it will be a measurable competition.

Given that we have a slaughter set by Archie this month, I'm guaranteed to die early and often. :D

As for members, any keyboarder can join, or not, as they prefer. It's like the BritBowl. Luckily for all those who participate, Bloodite Krypto is not a BritBowler, or he'd get the win every time. ;)

I'm not in the Kup, I'm restricting myself solely for my own amusement. The Lone Keyboard, if you will.

It is not as if I have any real objections against joining, I mostly didn't join because nobody asked... do you particularly want me to? If we look at past runs I'm yet to lose to any of you (fortunately it appears both of you missed April and my utterly disastrous showing) (but May features Steve being dangerously close to beating me, soooo)

As a keyboarder and Brit, I have vowed to never drag the competition down by my awful playing. So have graciously decided to never join any of these mini contests because I would never win. :P

I just have to find a few hours to attempt this. Oh I meant minutes.....

@HexaDoken The Keyboard Kup is open to all keyboarders who'd like to join. Beating up on Steve D is, of course, a delightful bonus for all participants. When Jaws called me out the first time, Dobu said he'd like to join, too, but he never showed up. He knew better than to mess with me and Jaws, I guess. ;) But seriously, getting more participants is a bonus for those months when I or Jaws may not participate for some reason. We can't let it be just The Steve & Jaws Show, can we?

@cannonball Wait, you're a keyboarder? Cor blimey!!!!! Okay, so that means you, me, Dobu and gggmork are all keyboarders who make slaughtermaps. Well, "hardcore slaughtery," in my case. You know, if you'd entered the Keyboard Kup, you'd have notched several wins by now, and perhaps even a few BritBowls would grace your brag shelf. So I'll keep my eye on you. ;)

51 minutes ago, cannonball said:

So have graciously decided to never join any of these mini contests because I would never win. :P

Review of this year's score table reveals that if you were in the Kup since the beginning, March would be your only loss; additionally, you bested all Britbowl participants in May. Would never win, hmm?

@Steve D Alrighty, then, you asked for it. The bar for June is set; get to cracking!

UV 01-08* / HMP 08-12* / HNTR 12 (prepared)

PgIQsa3.gif

In practice, I had defeated this pair of cyberdemons cleanly, so underestimated them; before, they had approached me in tandem and I was not expecting to have to dodge rockets from both at once. (I was not invulnerable because I was saving the powerup for the pair at the exit, by whom I had been killed in practice.)

Spoiler

MAP01    UV  EXIT   107/107    0      1/1  4/4   6:30+09     6:30
MAP02    UV  EXIT   207/206    0      2/2  2/2  16:26+12    22:56
MAP03    UV  EXIT   364/333    0      7/7  2/2  10:32+26    33:28
MAP04    UV  EXIT   616/602    0      1/1  2/2  17:25+16    50:53
MAP05    UV  EXIT   173/160    0      5/5  1/1  10:32+33  1:01:25
MAP06    UV  EXIT     97/97    0      5/5  3/3  15:07+26  1:16:32
MAP07    UV  EXIT   124/122    0      4/4  1/1   6:51+10  1:23:23
MAP08    UV  DEAD   175/236   61      2/7  0/1   6:44+01  1:23:23

MAP08   HMP  EXIT   164/149    0      7/7  1/1  10:36+34    10:36
MAP09   HMP  EXIT   352/310    0      5/5  3/3  19:21+18    29:57
MAP10   HMP  EXIT   520/514    0    35/35  0/0  15:36+33    45:33
MAP11   HMP  EXIT   308/276    0    23/23  1/1  10:29+27    56:02
MAP12   HMP  DEAD  744/1052  356   90/125  4/7  56:04+06    56:02

MAP12  HNTR  EXIT   952/946    0  117/128  7/7  50:54+01    50:54
MAP13  HNTR  DEAD      0/24   24      0/0  0/0   0:04+34    50:54

Oh damn RjY that's a bad way to die but great job on surviving at least!. Those two are kinda tricky. I'd have hoped that, in your practice, you'd discover how cheesable the MAP08 final cyberdemons are and there's really no reason to fear them - so you really could've used the invul here. 

Rip, Map 03 got bum rushed by a crap ton of revenants after the fight with the cyber demon on UV I knew there were monsters but I was hoping it wasnt a bunch of angry skelly bobs. D:
Will post the video in a bit when I have more free time to do so. I'm kind of disappointed in my self, I know I could have done better but oh well. I'm not used to excessively using the Plasma weapons I'm one of those who overly tries to conserve the power weapons for a fight im expecting that usually never comes up i.e 2 -3 cyberdemons at once. :C Im not a smart man when it comes to slaughterish mapsets. 

Edited by Fiendzy : Video added

Category 3, I did a casual playthrough on UV until half of MAP09. I never have played this mapset before. Even if it's slaughterish, the short size of the maps makes them fun to play. I find that most of the secrets areas were rather easy to find. Also, some maps reminds me of Whitemare 2.

Deaths :

Spoiler

* UV -> I died in MAP06 (Kills : 15/97) after being weakened by the cyberdemon at the end of MAP05. Starting MAP06 with little health and ammo didn't help me. Runtime : 59min54sec.
* HMP -> I played quite seriously until MAP09 (Kills : 143/310) where I've done dumb things. I kill myself the the rocket lancher iirc. Runtime : 32min13sec.
* HNTR -> I didn't play seriously there. I still died in MAP09 (Kills : 257/275) to a hellknight. Runtime : 11min53sec.

File : Malrionn_Ironman_rush.zip

Did my run.

Spoiler

I think my record was 2-10-11 - at least, those are the maps I died on. I'm not that much of a fan of Rush, although I really enjoyed myself during the stream. Now for Suitepee to sneak his way to map 03 on UV somehow...

Category 2, I was familiar with the earlier levels from times past.

UV - Dead on map02 (Rockets cause splash damage duh)

HMP - Dead on map03 (Backing yourself into an inescapable corner with revenant rockets isn't a good idea)

HNTR - Dead on map08 (Burns unit in meltdown)

Not much to say really, this was a pretty poor performance even for me. :P

rushcb.zip

Rush Ironman, aka Roll the Bones

This is a baaaaaaddd performance for me. Died on map 05 in a "I have reverted to my skill level in 1993" moment while vastly overarmed and charged up with health/armor. Kill me now.

Protip, kids: to beat the cyberdemon, simply shoot it until it dies.

Category is 2, as per normal; I played this once the week it hit the Archive, haven't touched it since. Probably wouldn't have made it much farther anyway, in truth, as after m06 there's a long stretch of the WAD that I remember literally nothing about up until m12 (which is the one almost everyone remembers, of course).

1cc ruleset is of course a huge reference to SHMUPs and particularly Border Down though of course adapted for use here.  (Difficulty goes up with each death in Border Down).

My attempt is done.  Gets progressively worse as it goes.  Type 1 - blind

UV: Map 2 - After clinging on to life through nearly the whole thing, finished off by rocket splash while at low health.  No bonuses for having less than 10 monsters left alive.  Or was it 15.  Doesn't really matter.

HMP: Map 3 - I pick a terrible position when archviles come, try fleeing for safety and a megasphere, fried.

HNTR: Map 3 - Died in opening room.  Was going to erase it but losing 200 health to 3 revenant rockets is at least mildly interesting so this fail is preserved for posterity.

dwiron_rush_cnr.zip

Well, there's no table yet :P 

So far Ancalagon is winning but @WH-Wilou84 or @dt_ may still beat him and snatch their first wins (yes, Wilou never won so far! kinda difficult to believe that). Also, @Alfonzo, @42PercentHealth and @Bdubzzz (possibly even @Catpho and @leodoom85) did their runs, but didn't post in the thread yet.

Also, trivia: Whenever Ancalagon bested Krypto, he won :P 

My run was embarrassing. I'm trying to pretend it didn't happen for as long as possible. :-P

(Actually, I'd post it now, but I have the wrong OS booted... maybe later today or tomorrow.)

Oh I died on map 2 on UV because super mancs are dumb and well I was trying to go fast since I know Rush pretty well :p, Don't think i even saved the demo since it was so terrible but ill tell you what, ill do another run just for fun on UV later today ;p

We can count that as my HMP playthrough I guess? I never attempted HMP

Oh fuck, I completely forgot about this wad :/

I'll try to post the three demos today if I have time....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

7 hours ago, NaZa said:

Also, trivia: Whenever Ancalagon bested Krypto, he won :P 

This happened a grand total of 1 time.

GODDAMMIT........I just died at map 08, in UV cuz of stupid decisions from myself for not taking care of the monsters properly......

I'll post the other 2 runs soon.

With the beta releases of Struggle and both MAYhem 2018 versions I barely found any extra time to play this... Still, here’s my demo archive for this month.

Spoiler

UV : Died on map 12 due to eye fatigue and darkness and a surprise Arch-Vile appearing in aforementioned darkness.

HMP : Barely managed to survive. I almost got killed in a trap including two Cyberdemons and heaps of Hell Knights, but then a teleporter allowed me to escape to (relative) safety and attack the Cybs from a secure spot. Phew !

Rush is certainly an interesting level pack.

I somehow mistook it from Newgothic Movement or some Slaughterfest subset, even having completely forgotten about the mid-course snowy levels. Still, the run is category 2, since I’ve played the wad a long time ago and also watched some UV Max demos for it (not on all maps though, and I definitely should’ve watched a playthrough on map 06 beforehand as I spent ages trying to find the red bars during my run).

The wad is indeed easier than most other wads in the slaughter niche, as there aren't many fights that you can't escape from and health / ammo distribution is fairly generous.

Rush-Ironman-demos-wh.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/279093368 = died on map 2 on UV, then map 4 on HMP/HNTR. (run starts at 1h 30 mark, cat 3)

This was the moment I realised how useful PRBoom is.

My PC and/or GZDoom's version (was using version 3.4, not aware of version 3.4.1....I've been out of the Doom loop for a few weeks) conspired against me on map 2 to crash each time that custom Mancubus was infighting, preventing me from completing the map. I was not happy, since I was doing so well. I tried to fix the problem, but to no avail.

So I had to play on PRBoom + for the first time ever as a Doomer. It was quite an.....odd experience. Then I died at the start of map 2 from a trap I'd managed to avoid twice in GZDoom, being unfamiliar with PRBoom's hitboxes. Just gave up after that and played recklessly for a bit. I was also fatigued from a long, hard day at work.

From now on I think I shall do my Ironman runs on PRBoom. GZDoom has messed around with my Ironman experience for the last time!

Edited by Suitepee

My own unofficial Ironman run.

Unofficial because I don't have a demo or recording for you to verify.

Used GZDoom 1.8.2.

Died on MAP03, UV, to the first horde. Staying inside was a bad idea. Didn't attempt HMP or HNTR.

Cat 2, saw Suitepee's stream first.

Stats:

MAP01: 107/107 kills, 2/4 secrets, 11:32

MAP02: 209/209 kills, 2/2 secrets, 18:28

MAP03: 67/333 kills, 0/2 secrets, 0:56

I felt bad for kind of accidentally fucking up Suitepee's HNTR attempt, so I figured I should try my hand at it and get brutalized.

Next month I should have the capacity to submit a proper run, so I'll do that when I can.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos