Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

How much will Doom: Eternal borrow from Doom 2? And how much should they borrow?

Seems to me this will borrow some ideas from Doom 2 (like how Doom 2016 borrowed some stuff from Doom 1), so answer and discuss the thread title. I just want "Doom 2 the way id did" style abstract hell make a return, but that's a bit far-fetched so how about Doomguy/Doom Slayer/Doom whatever's destroyed hometown (mentioned in Doom 2 text screen)? 

My guess?

There will be a rendition of D_RUNNIN, a homage to Gotcha and you can bet the Icon of Sin will make a return.

I would like to see Mick Gordon borrow from the soundtrack of Doom 2 much like he borrowed from the soundtrack to Doom 1. It would be great to hear his own rendition of "Running from Evil" and various other tracks.

I honestly want to see a part of MAP09: The Pit remade into one of the game's levels, thus begins the flow of "this is the worst level in the game because the pit is in it."

Tie this game in with that new gloomy wolfenstein series (The New Order onward). That would be hilarious!

So far the plot setting and the missing doom 2 monsters are in, and maybe some musical callbacks like how waltz of the demons and suspense appeared on the previous game

Other than that not much else

Mostly i want hear gordon rendition of few music tracks and see some remade parts from original maps will be awesome.

We immediately need to make them change it from "Eternal" to "Hell on Earth" or something along the lines

I mean, why name it "Eternal"? THATS JUST WEIRD!

I want more Nukage but that was really a thing for Episode 1.  Doom 4 didnt' have any other than the MP map.

Classic Zombieman, Shotgun guy and heavy weapons dude would work in the Earth setting.  But I still want to see the Doom 4 zombies appear where it might be relevant.

They need a full giant-texture-on-a-wall Icon of Sin.

Seriously though, the Icon of Sin should appear in some form or another. If they could also work in Romero's head somehow that would be pretty awesome.

7 hours ago, Poncho said:

I want the Chasm... though, for a modern game, it could do without ledge-walking.

So...you don't want The Chasm? 

9 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

I honestly want to see a part of MAP09: The Pit remade into one of the game's levels, thus begins the flow of "this is the worst level in the game because the pit is in it."

Off topic, but I did a recent playthrough of Doom 2 and had this exact thought. I really enjoyed pretty much everything that wasn't the pit. The pit is so un-fun that it kinda makes it a bad level overall. The pit is...the pits.

8 hours ago, Job said:

So...you don't want The Chasm? 

Well, what I mean is a level that feels and looks like a chasm, ya know?

to me that's a hard question. While Doom 1 took place in space bases and eventually hell, Doom 2 is more a psychedelic mash up of levels which are fun to play but are very forcefully trying to fit into a starport, a city, and hell again. Levels like the courtyard (a giant courtyard) or the citadel make you wonder what life on earth looks like at the moment Doom 2 takes place. Not to mention some abandoned mines located in hell, or a damned condo.

I wonder if "Idthesda" will go with a realistic depiction of earth (and if so, will include anything from the classical levels) or be fully faithful to the original material -Not to mention that I have a hard time trying to fall again for 1 guy alone dealing with a planet-wide invasion of hell forces.

But if I have to summarize, yeap, like they said above: D_RUNNIN, IoS, and I'd like to see those dusky skies from the first levels

1 hour ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

I mean the last game already had the super shotgun, what else is there?

Super Duper Shotgun.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:18 AM, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Upgrades for the super shotgun.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:18 PM, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

That quadruple barreled shotgun from ROK that can quadruple itself.