Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Post Apocalyptic Currencies

What do you think will be used as currency once the world ends and we're all driving around a Mad Max-ian wasteland? I theorize Baja Blast will be the driving force of the post apocalyptic economy. 

Old video games that collectors have gathered over the years. Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt combo will be the new $1.

I think a likely scenario would be an economy dominated by barter, instead of currency.

"Nice thick stack of dollars, man, but if you want some of our water, you'll need to give us something more useful than that."

Still awaiting the inevitable bottle caps answer.

45 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Still awaiting the inevitable bottle caps answer.

What is this the 50s? We all know it will be pop tops.

Water, Rice (and similar food), medicine of all sorts, gasoline for sure, weapons and ammunition, sex (duh), alcohol, drugs, tools... High heels

In all honesty, if someone had a case of Baja Blast and were trading for food or something else I had, I'd probably make the trade.

As for everyone else, I don't think there'll be a currency but rather just straight trade for goods. If I have a ton of corn and you have some extra munitions, it would make sense to trade those for each other and not have to rely on a separate currency.

If there is an actual trade route with some sense of government, then I could see bullets or something equally important being the general currency. Really depends on which exact post apocalypse scenario we are looking at.

Currency requires some mechanism to control the supply and distribution (and guarantee the nominal value).  There are unlikely to be much in the way of such mechanisms in a post apocalyptic situation, so barter and payment in kind would be the norm, I expect.

Edited by Capellan

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Water, Rice (and similar food), medicine of all sorts, gasoline for sure, weapons and ammunition, sex (duh), alcohol, drugs, tools... High heels

you're forgetting some form of entertainment besides alcohol and drugs.

Crystal Pepsi for me. I'd trade anything to have another taste of colorless soda. 

Maybe old flash drives, game boxes and discs, dollar coins, books, those would be my barter. 

Music formats for me. Anything except those old shellac 10" records and 8-tracks. Vinyl records would be the $20s, CDs the $5s, cassettes the $1s. The only issue that would come along is that it would only really be feasible if I at least have interest in the music.

Call me a hipster all you want. I collect that stuff.

Bionicles.

"You need some corn? Give me that Rahkshi and we have a deal. Add a Visorak and I'll throw in some beef."

Rahkshi.jpg.191d47ef969e217a865a102fb20760c0.jpg