Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JBerg

Feedback for my map

Looking for feedback for a map I made. It's still WIP.

It's a boom compatible Doom 2 map. I've tested it in GZDoom.

Don't jump, mouselook is not required.

Additional Textures taken from the community chest 4 texture wad

Updated the map: Tweaked monster placements. Added music made by Wintertowns

download

Screenshot_Doom_20180614_212807.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180614_212823.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180614_212908.png

Edited by JBerg : added credit for texture wad

Useful link for you and please, add some screenshots, so people will help you more. 

Sorry for the previous oversight.

I'm still hoping to receive feedback for the map!

Edited by JBerg

Screenshots look interesting, but it looks like you haven't built nodes for your level, judging from:

P_SetupLevel: Level wad structure is incomplete. There is no ML_NODES lump.

Levels that are Boom-compatible (or any Standard Doom 2 format map) must have their nodes built. See this article for more information.

The screenshots look good. From the three shots you showed, the detailing looks nice. There is some misalignment on the SFALL textures on the nukage pouring from one pipe to another.

***On a side note, have you ever noticed how incredibly unsafe UAC facilities are? Can you imagine what workplace safety oversight body would say about open containers and pools of radioactive waste or radioactive slime just pouring from one pipe to another, easily accessible to the general populace of the facility?***

But I digress. The level looks good. I'd be interested to see the encounter design, too.

@Pegleg, now that we're back to join date, I can refeel the affinity with those who joined around the same time as me. I always think of you, therektafire, and me. Apparently JBerg too. I wonder who else...

Definitely another digression. But the good news is the video is done. I'll post it you know where when I'm somewhere with a hint of upload speed.

13 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I wonder who else...

bonnie minus a year

i mean that basically makes us identical twins at that point, right? ;~;

37 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Pegleg, now that we're back to join date, I can refeel the affinity with those who joined around the same time as me. I always think of you, therektafire, and me. Apparently JBerg too. I wonder who else...

It looks like the four of us all joined within almost the same week (9/8 - 9/17). Good times.

22 minutes ago, bonnie said:

bonnie minus a year

i mean that basically makes us identical twins at that point, right? ;~;

Why not? Bonnie, JBerg, Therektafire, Pegleg, HAK3180--wouldn't we be a motley crew?

@JBerg

Back to map...

It looks like there are non-iwad textures in the screenshots. You should credit where you got those from, unless you made them yourself. And if you made them yourself, you should say that, too.

8 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

@JBerg

Back to map...

It looks like there are non-iwad textures in the screenshots. You should credit where you got those from, unless you made them yourself. And if you made them yourself, you should say that, too.

I will definitely give them credit in the readme. But I'll add it to my first post too. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Definitely another digression. But the good news is the video is done. I'll post it you know where when I'm somewhere with a hint of upload speed.

Thanks man. I look forwards to it!

8 hours ago, mun said:

Screenshots look interesting, but it looks like you haven't built nodes for your level, judging from:

P_SetupLevel: Level wad structure is incomplete. There is no ML_NODES lump.

Levels that are Boom-compatible (or any Standard Doom 2 format map) must have their nodes built. See this article for more information.

Will look into this thanks!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Looking forwards to it!

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

The screenshots look good. From the three shots you showed, the detailing looks nice. There is some misalignment on the SFALL textures on the nukage pouring from one pipe to another.

***On a side note, have you ever noticed how incredibly unsafe UAC facilities are? Can you imagine what workplace safety oversight body would say about open containers and pools of radioactive waste or radioactive slime just pouring from one pipe to another, easily accessible to the general populace of the facility?***

But I digress. The level looks good. I'd be interested to see the encounter design, too.

These facilities are super unsafe ... I think the UAC do it to save out on having to increase salaries for long time workers.

Played through the map. I did play with GZDoom since the map doesn't work in PrBoom atm. You should test it in Boom-based port definitely to make sure doors and elevators work and some actions don't block others (ex. walkover action blocking door's use open-action). There are other considerations, but they probably don't apply to map (infinite height etc.)

Anyway. The gameplay is good and map flows intuitively enough, giving a nice sense of progression with the various keys and weapons. Quite linear ordeal, but that is not really an issue. The combat encounters are fair and have good thought put into them, like teleporting baron behind you and coercing you into the room with the revenants. It is quite easy map, but that's not really an issue, if that was intention.  

There was one enemy stuck, but it is rather inconsequential. 

jYPrFCy.png

Although, my biggest gripes are with texturing. You have lot of unaligned textures around and they really started to ache my eyes - columns in particular very aggravating. In Doombuilder 2/GZDoombuilder you can auto-align them with A/ctrl-A or whatwasit. 

The exit-teleporter is also not at the middle of room which really rustles my jimmies. But that's kinda nitpicky, although you could get it in middle by adjusting map's position and so forth - but I do like the first thing you see is the exit teleporter. 

Played the map, I agree with most of the previous posters. Thought it was pretty fun to play so I wrote a MIDI to replace D_RUNNIN aswell: 

Wintertowns - RefineryMIDI.zip

Spoiler

It may have been more interesting if the secrets on UV were like a berserk pack and a green armor respectively, instead of the current contents. I felt a little bit too tanky.

9 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Played the map, I agree with most of the previous posters. Thought it was pretty fun to play so I wrote a MIDI to replace D_RUNNIN aswell: 

Wintertowns - RefineryMIDI.zip

Reveal hidden contents

It may have been more interesting if the secrets on UV were like a berserk pack and a green armor respectively, instead of the current contents. I felt a little bit too tanky.

I haven't implemented difficulty levels yet, so I'll probably end up using your suggestion.

Also, the tune is to my liking! I'll will use it. It will probably going to be a while before I release anything though as I think I'm going to try to string enough maps together for a megawad (or until I get sick of working on it :P)

You shouldn't try for a megawad as your first project. I'd suggest keeping this to about eleven levels at the most (about enough for a full Doom 2 "episode") and getting a little more practice with the editors and refining your mapping style before that. Release a few singles first, then, when you've got a lot of ideas for maps that could work together, give a megawad a try.

How ironic it is that I'm saying this when my two primary projects are a megawad and a TC.

You've got a lot a potential, but one-man megawads tend to be a source of mapper's block in the end (I usually start getting it after about seven or eight maps), and a lot will almost surely be scrapped (I can't tell you how many I attempted and ultimately scrapped for any number of reasons).

Not trying to dissuade you, just suggesting you start smaller, first.

Let's see, the one I'm working on now is HURedux, and it was based on one I completed in 2012. I restarted HUR (after a false start in '16) at about May 25, I think, and I've built E1M1, M2, M3, and M9, and M4 is about halfway complete as of June 11, when I put it on hold to build my latest map (you've probably seen it on the Post Your Doom Picture thread).

HU, the original version I finished in '12, took about three to six months to complete, I think, when I finally set down and started working on it again, but I started it in '08, then I ran into mapper's block on E2M2. Looking back, I could probably crank those levels out now in a matter of days, given how terrible they really were.

My first ever took literally a week, I think, but it was so short and easy it could be done in about twenty minutes.

My TC, Awakening, actually has fifteen completed maps, but I'm going to end up replacing all of them, because they're terrible, and each of the later ones has taken a week to construct in their entirety. I started it in 2014 and have actually been working on it nearly constantly since, so that should give a rather accurate figure of how long a large TC or megawad might take to build.

So, for time frames, we're looking at five months until HUR is finished (40 maps) at best, and a year/18 months until Awakening is complete (42 maps), in theory. In practice, doubling the time frames seems safe.

Yes I have seen your stuff on that thread, and you're quite the productive one! Maybe 32 maps is a bit overly ambitious, but I thought to myself that since this community doesn't seem like it's going to die anytime soon, I'll just take 3-4 years to make it. Figured that if I got bored of it or blocked I'd just release the work done sort of like what Eric Alm did with Scythe X.

Though I'm kind of a newb at this, so I'll reconsider.