Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
USK GOV

Could a intelligent animals play doom

Could intelligent animals play doom

I think it is highly likely that monkies  could play doom there are human's ancestors 

and are very related to humans maybe dolphins could play doom using an underwater computer however this would require advanced dolphin mussel moment 

because of there flippers so what is your opinion on this 

The smartest primates (with which we have over 98% of DNA in common, IIRC) there ever were have just barely been able to learn a little bit of sign language. That said, the answer to your question is "no".

This reminds me there was a fish trying to play Pokemon or some sort...

In my opinion, I still don't think humans are direct evolution result of some sort of monkeys or similar animals (don't know how to express my views clearly, but feel free to think I'm crazy/stupid). Therefore, the question is a no to me.

28 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

that poor fish; how did he press the buttons?

From the video, it seems the fish tank is divided into 9 parts that are corresponding to buttons. When the fish swims to a certain block, probably there's a sensor to capture input or something. It's quite popular that so many people watched this. (Of course, I heard of this because of I was watching non sense videos around YT.)

23 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

The one animal that plays it now isn't even intelligent, so no.

Hmm, you must be the most intelligent one of that kind to find out such a good answer ;P

For what it's worth, in a study published in 2014, chimpanzees were shown to do fairly well in navigating a virtual reality maze. From an article describing the study (entitled "Chimpanzees Can Play Video Games Better Than Kindergartners" -- make of that what you will):

Panzee, a 22-year-old female chimp, significantly outperformed 12 children and 4 adults on a complex maze in a virtual-reality computer game.

Researchers pitted four adult chimps against twelve human children ranging from 3 to 12 years old, and four adult humans. The chimpanzees tended to do about as well as the kids between 3 and 6 years old, completing the maze in a similar amount of time. The scientists were also recording "travel efficiency," or how much distance the gamers covered before beating the game. That's where Panzee shined: on the most difficult maze, she took a significantly shorter route to the prize than the kids -- and even the adults.

Whether this means that chimps could play Doom is not clear, as Doom gameplay is about more than just navigation of a virtual maze -- but that is one central aspect of it. The article quoted above ends with the following:

So, will humans one day be fending off Panzee in Skyrim? "If you gave a chimp who liked doing the task enough time, maybe," said Dolins. "They're curious, and intrinsically motivated to find more information about the world."

There is also some evidence that orangutans, cats and pigs have the ability to play and enjoy video games to at least some extent -- although not necessarily without a fair amount of human intervention, and not necessarily anything analogous to Doom.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The smartest primates (with which we have over 98% of DNA in common, IIRC) there ever were have just barely been able to learn a little bit of sign language. That said, the answer to your question is "no".

Not sure that follows necessarily -- there definitely is a sense in which proficiently using human language is a far more complex process than playing a Doom level. Also, I get what you're saying with "just barely been able to learn a little bit of sign language", but that's one way of viewing the issue. I'd say it's rather amazing just how much of the language of another species chimps have been able to learn.

Edited by hedgehog : Corrected a typo: accidentally wrote "There is also other some evidence" before. Because I type with all the elegance of a hippopotamus.

I'd like to try a deathmatch game against that chicken that plays tic-tac-toe.

Well, if you had a infinite amount of monkeys playing doom by just pressing random keys, at least one of them would beat all the speedrunning records.

6 hours ago, USK GOV said:

I think it is highly likely that monkies  could play doom there are human's ancestors 

I disagree with this statement. Monkeys are separated from humans in taxonomy (like every other living species on the planet). There are New World monkeys, which are separated from the parvorder Catarrhini, which contains Old World monkeys, great apes, and humans.

The most likely candidates to be able to play Doom specifically are, obviously, actual humans (citation: at least most of us are humans), so human ancestors and "sibling species" (like Neanderthal Man) would likely be capable of understanding the game and playing it.

So, I'm going with the general consensus and I'm going to say no.

13 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I disagree with this statement. Monkeys are separated from humans in taxonomy (like every other living species on the planet). There are New World monkeys, which are separated from the parvorder Catarrhini, which contains Old World monkeys, great apes, and humans.

The most likely candidates to be able to play Doom specifically are, obviously, actual humans (citation: at least most of us are humans), so human ancestors and "sibling species" (like Neanderthal Man) would likely be capable of understanding the game and playing it.

So, I'm going with the general consensus and I'm going to say no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ttRaXlnfs

7 hours ago, USK GOV said:

Actually modern day primates are at the same step of evolution as we are!
It's not that humans evolved from chimpanzees but that we and our primate cousins evolved from other primates which are now "extinct" :D

1 hour ago, Forli said:

Well, if you had a infinite amount of monkeys playing doom by just pressing random keys, at least one of them would beat all the speedrunning records.

This is a likely an unforeseen application of the Infinite Monkey Theorem (no, I didn't make that name up, go look), but it would require that those infinite monkeys be playing Doom for an infinite amount of time, in which case, yes, they would beat every speedrunning record.

6 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

This is a likely an unforeseen application of the Infinite Monkey Theorem (no, I didn't make that name up, go look), but it would require that those infinite monkeys be playing Doom for an infinite amount of time, in which case, yes, they would beat every speedrunning record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Quite unforeseen, and quite improbable.

Also, this little section was gold:

Real monkeys

In 2003, lecturers and students from the University of Plymouth MediaLab Arts course used a £2,000 grant from the Arts Council to study the literary output of real monkeys. They left a computer keyboard in the enclosure of six Celebes crested macaques in Paignton Zoo in Devon in England for a month, with a radio link to broadcast the results on a website.

Not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five total pages largely consisting of the letter S, the lead male began by bashing the keyboard with a stone, and the monkeys continued by urinating and defecating on it. Mike Phillips, director of the university's Institute of Digital Arts and Technology (i-DAT), said that the artist-funded project was primarily performance art, and they had learned "an awful lot" from it. He concluded that monkeys "are not random generators. They're more complex than that. ... They were quite interested in the screen, and they saw that when they typed a letter, something happened. There was a level of intention there."

2 hours ago, SOSU said:

Actually modern day primates are at the same step of evolution as we are!
It's not that humans evolved from chimpanzees but that we and our primate cousins evolved from other primates which are now "extinct" :D

Yeah now i think about it you are right

When did this turn from "Can animals play Doom?" to a discussion about Darwinian Evolution? Which, for the record, I think is full of holes.

9 hours ago, hedgehog said:

Not sure that follows necessarily -- there definitely is a sense in which proficiently using human language is a far more complex process than playing a Doom level.

Yes, that follows necessarily, because in order to play a Doom level you first of all need to get past barriers such as input devices, you also need to be able to solve more complex problems in Doom than what the most intelligent primates have been able to solve after spending several minutes worth of thinking and experimenting.

Did you see one of those experiments where scientists dangled some bananas in front of Orang Utans, but so high up that the primates couldn't actually reach the food? Maybe you should have a look, because it took a relatively long time for the primates to figure out that stacking some empty crates and then climbing on top of those will solve that problem. And that's a task our toddlers can do, our youngest children are able to figure this out faster.

That's how large the gap between humans and primates is. And I'm not saying humans are all that brilliant, humans voted for Trump after all, but I'm saying that's how large of a gap there is between humans and primates when it comes to solving problems.

9 hours ago, hedgehog said:

I get what you're saying with "just barely been able to learn a little bit of sign language", but that's one way of viewing the issue. I'd say it's rather amazing just how much of the language of another species chimps have been able to learn.

Your are too wasteful with your optimism. The simple fact of the matter is that learning a few very simple gestures over a long period of time (like weeks and months kinda long for just a few) is nowhere near as demanding, complex, and abstract as understanding what's required to finish even the most basic iWAD maps.

8 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Darwinian Evolution? Which, for the record, I think is full of holes.

Oh yeah? Where would those holes be, and what has less holes to begin with? Creationism, or what?

When did I ever mention Creationism? That's a little presumptuous. The Scientific Community at large is admitting that there's an abundance of contradictory evidence, such as the Cambrian Explosion, genetic limitations, irreducible complexity, and the like.

Back on topic, I think an animal could theoretically play Doom if you found a way to map a control system to how they'd react to enemies and somehow detected their movements. Like a virtual reality kinda thing. The hard part would be fooling their other senses.

I think you misunderstand the phrase "But can it play Doom?" It was meant for pieces of technology, not for primates and dolphins.

I'm kinda sad to see some of the responses. This could be a decent conversation about animal intelligence. I think it's possable for many different animals to play more basic games, but the input would have to be accommodating to said species. Also Due to different instinctive behaviors, video games don't really hold much of interest for most species, something external would have to motivate them to do so. Many species are much more intelligent than people understand.

13 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

The one animal that plays it now isn't even intelligent, so no.

the currant social infrastructure stops natural selection from taking place by a good amount. 

Seeing as though animals have been conditioned to react in certain ways to stimulation such as colours and sounds, I do believe we indeed could get them to play at least a basic watered down version, but again it would seem almost evil and barbaric to force an animal to go through this level of extreme conditioning for something so trivial and worthless.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And I'm not saying humans are all that brilliant, humans voted for Trump after all

I know I shouldn't be laughing... :-P