Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Hard maps with low enemy counts?

Those seem to be rare, probably because it's far easier to make a challenging encounter by just throwing dozens of enemies at the same time. What maps do you know that can kick the player's ass with only a handful of well-placed enemies?

I will just mention some wads, because I can't remember map names right now.

I think Plutonia (especially the early levels) and Going Down have low monster counts, while being challenging, but Going Down also has smaller map lengths iirc.

Swift Death comes to my mind, it has tiny maps and low monster counts but it will kick your ass.

- Lots of Dobu's stuff (Saturnine Chapel, etc.)

- Mayhem '16's later maps (especially m18 and m20)

- The hardest of maps made by Obsidian (Ave Exitium, etc.) 

- Some of Ribbiks' stuff

Going Down is quite spammy within the confines of its tiny maps. I wouldn't classify it among these.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Those seem to be rare, probably because it's far easier to make a challenging encounter by just throwing dozens of enemies at the same time.

Nah, if you know what you are doing, it's easier to make challenging stuff by restricting the player's space a lot and skewing monster placements toward the more dangerous species. Anything with dozens of enemies necessitates more setup time and testing in principle.  

The 'rarity' is misleading. Even big slaughtermaps sometimes have occasional harsh fights with low numbers of monsters. The answer is actually just 'because most people who make and enjoy hard maps tend not to arbitrarily restrict themselves to using low monster counts as often as they just map what they feel like designing'. 

1 hour ago, Battle_Korbi said:

Why do I have a feeling most of these "hard low monster count maps" are just archviles in open fields?

Because you are completely uninformed.

None of these maps are like that. 

Edited by rdwpa

No one mentioned Moonblood yet ? Seriously, that's the whole wad basically, well the end gets a bit slaughtery i guess.

SlaughterMAX Map07. If you read the stuff after Map06, this would be even funnier. (Well, probably not that well-placed, I guess)

Some of the later 50monster maps like Map28 and Map29.

E4M2, wait... It's easily done without taking damage though.