Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FyreOnix

What's the best Quake source port?

I've been wanting to try Quake for a while, but WinQuake doesn't meet my needs with it's resolution and etcetera. What's the best Quake source port?

If you want pretty graphics and shadows then Dark Places, not sure about there others as I haven't tried them yet.

This seems to come up with some frequency these days.  Definitely give Quakespasm a try.  It can look and behave just like oldschool pixelated Quake, or it can look more modern with translucent water and texture filtering.  There's also an up-to-date fork of it called vkQuake that uses Vulcan instead of OpenGL if you want to give that a whirl.

Darkplaces has the fancier graphics, for sure.  But it hasn't been updated in a long time and has performance issues in places where Quakespasm doesn't.  Plus most modern levels and mods that need extended capabilities are going to target Quakespasm.

I'd like to sort of throw out the same question, but with Quake 2. I've been using Yamagi but I really don't know about any other options.

To the OP: If you are looking for fancy effects and looks, go for Darkplaces. If you are looking for a more vanilla experience, use Quakespasm.

I cannot recommend Darkplaces. This is a classic case of a port going too far with effects so that they get in the way of the original level design.

The lighting model is totally different from what was used when the levels were made which often results in a rather messy visual presentation. I quickly switched to Quakespasm and I am really happy with that port. It does what it's supposed to do: Stay reasonably close to the original look and feel and make improvements where they really count without hurting the presented material.

I prefer Darkplaces. You can use textures with parallax what looks amazing. There are two best texture pack, and if I good remember both are belongs to Rygel. I prefer that older version, cause new one are bit to dark to me.

@Jerry.C you can turn off sfx and have fun with original GL version, also the light, if my memory serves me well, there are 3 types of lighting - quake style, quake style with dynamic shadows and last - full dynamic lighting - I love them all.

Mark V Winquake is my favorite for the software rendering, though the water transparency effect isn't pretty. (Quake II's software renderer handled that sort of thing better with a transparency look up table.)

But as others have mentioned, Quakespasm is basically the goto sourceport. It runs pretty much everything, and some of the most recent high detail maps made by the community often specfically target it as their platform of choice.