Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Wadauthor Gurus I thank you...

i just wanted to thank the members who helped me with my wadauthor problem...it may seem a bid deal to make a thread about this, but it was so fruistrating to me and took away my will to map for days, thanks to them I'm back on track..

I haven't run into any problems since they helped me to group my sectors properly and my E1M2 wad is on schedule, and it's coming along wonderfully, I was ecstatic. I am still, so happy, *glee!!!* because after this my woes were over, i quickly fixed the current errors and just smooth sailing from there on....I can't wait to finish this level, Thanks, especially go out to Biffy and Lobo who helped me with this.

Just be sure to make plenty of backups. Wadauthor has been known to throw fits and completely rearrange the entire map to the point where it cannot be salvaged. I'm not sure why it happens (there's a few theories that might explain it), but just to be on the safe side, make some backups.

Ichor said:

Just be sure to make plenty of backups. Wadauthor has been known to throw fits and completely rearrange the entire map to the point where it cannot be salvaged. I'm not sure why it happens (there's a few theories that might explain it), but just to be on the safe side, make some backups.

I think if you use WA exclusively for a map and no other editors this will not happen. It has something to do with the way other editors delete sectors, leaving the sector space behind, and removing all the linedefs that refer to that sector. i know it's fucked up, but in Zdoom these phantom sectors give the error 'Sector ### has no lines'. If you try to build the nodes or do an error check with WA on a map with these problems it may go bye-bye. backing up is always a good idea.

Ichor said:

Thanks for the tip! it just so happens I have 3 backups, hope that will suffice...

Use3D said:

I think if you use WA exclusively for a map and no other editors this will not happen. It has something to do with the way other editors delete sectors, leaving the sector space behind, and removing all the linedefs that refer to that sector. i know it's fucked up, but in Zdoom these phantom sectors give the error 'Sector ### has no lines'. If you try to build the nodes or do an error check with WA on a map with these problems it may go bye-bye. backing up is always a good idea.

And I'm not, Wadauthor is the only one that would run on my system it turns out, but i'm accustomed to it so it's ok. Got used to not using lines like before, and its okay. Yes ichor dck did the same thing as the older version, but it's ok, wadauthor will do nicely :)

Ichor said:

I'm not sure why it happens (there's a few theories that might explain it)

In my experience it happens when deleting a sector by changing the references on its last linedef(s) to that of another sector, rather than actually deleting the linedef(s) in question. (this is some sort of nodebuilding bug)

Xanthier: make sure you have the 'make backups' feature on (if not already on), as this will make a .bak file every time you save.

You're welcome man!

If it helps get that Resident Evil TC done faster then that's all the thanks I need ;)

I use Wadauthor sometimes, and indeed it seems to dislike when you get another editor in the mix. I've stayed faithful to Wadauthor recently and thus my map hasn't been screwed up in the last 30 or so saves. I do a backup each time I've playtested and seen that everything works, though.

I think a trick worth considering is to always do editing on an un-BSP'ed version of the map, since BSP might renumber sectors and stuff, depending on your version etc. This would be just as bad as using another editor on the map.

I do this:

* Edit mymap.wad
* BSP mymap.wad temp.wad
* doom2.exe -file temp.wad
* if temp.wad looks ok, I back up mymap.wad.
* Resume editing of mymap.wad, never temp.wad

Using this method I've never ever had Wadauthor screw with my map.

I used it for a bit. But reinstalling it to avoid the registration protection is stupid, so I dumped it. Plus I've always been used to DEU, so moving to DETH was natural.

ukiro said:

I use Wadauthor sometimes, and indeed it seems to dislike when you get another editor in the mix. I've stayed faithful to Wadauthor recently [...]

* myk wonders if ukiro is working on something new...

Yes Myk, I am. I probably shouldn't say too much as I'm very slow and months can pass where I never even start the editor. I have this very unfinished SP map with some 8000 sidedefs, but I plan on scrapping most of it and starting over. I have about a hundred new textures done too. But it could very well be over a year until I get it done, sadly.

ukiro said:

Yes Myk, I am. I probably shouldn't say too much as I'm very slow and months can pass where I never even start the editor. I have this very unfinished SP map with some 8000 sidedefs, but I plan on scrapping most of it and starting over. I have about a hundred new textures done too. But it could very well be over a year until I get it done, sadly.

Not if you really get into it. :)

DooMBoy said:

Not if you really get into it. :)

You clearly don't realize the size of this thing :) ...Or the number of textures I have drawn and still need to draw for it. Or my workload at the office, or...

you get the point. I have a fairly demanding job. I have a girlfriend. I have a whole bunch of hobbies apart from DOOM and some, if not most, are more timeconsuming. So considering all that, things are looking quite good :)