Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pagb

About Dck...

After a long time, last week i decided to run dck and do some editing, just for fun... but after a long while I realised that my USB mouse won't work under DOS...
I tried Wadauthor and it's like a pain in the ass...
Probably this question has been already in here more than once... but... ¿is there a way to run dck under win9x?

No. I think it even says in the readme.txt that it was never designed to run under Windows 95 or higher. I think it might be possible to run it with Windows 3.1 though. The best bet is to get the mouse to work in DOS mode and run DCK there. I use version 3.62 all the time to make my Hexen maps.

And yes, WadAuthor is a real pain, and until someone adds a line draw feature (DCK has it), I will not use it to make maps.

Ichor said:

...And yes, WadAuthor is a real pain, and until someone adds a line draw feature (DCK has it), I will not use it to make maps.

And this is why DCK is the ONLY map editor on my HDD. I'll figure how to edit for zdoom soon.

I don't use line-sector draw, I add rectangles and then I move and add vertexes at will

Ichor said:

...and until someone adds a line draw feature (DCK has it)...

...and what's your objection to DeePSea, aside from its restrictions on size in the shareware version? (Or is that it?)

pagb said:

After a long time, last week i decided to run dck and do some editing, just for fun... but after a long while I realised that my USB mouse won't work under DOS...
I tried Wadauthor and it's like a pain in the ass...
Probably this question has been already in here more than once... but... ¿is there a way to run dck under win9x?

I’m pretty sure if you find a good dos mouse driver for your mouse it will work. If you don’t know where to find one online than most small computer stores will give you wone.

That's would be one of them. Another is that I've been using DCK for so long.

there is always VMware... or buying a ps/2 mouse.
the DPMI module prevents DCK from running under windows.
on the plus side, there would be a LOT more maps of mine on the net if it did work; so consider yourselves lucky. ;)

This is why we should get Ben Morris to either:
a) Write a Windows version of DCK
b) Release the source code
Unfortunately, both of these are unlikely, as Ben has moved on to bigger and better things. Last I heard, he was working at Valve. Mind you, that was during the development of Half-Life, so maybe he's moved on.

I couldn't get VMware to work on my comp, keeps asking for a .dll I don't have (does it need win2k?).
I tried Connectix VirtualPC, but the virtual comp. hangs when i try to run either DCK or Waded.

Gonna try that Shuttle driver then...

DCK won't work on Windows 95 or later. If you want to run it, you will have to shut down Windows and go into DOS mode. It may sound like a bit of a chore, but this program is worth it. I use it all the time, despite the fact that I need to go into DOS to use it and go back into Windows to test the maps.

Yes, so far dck is the easiest level editor and worth going to dos for but I have win XP and I have no idea how to get to dos mode. Can someone tell me how?

You essentially can't. If you have DCK on your hard drive, you probably can't access it from DOS anyway.

Your only chance is to get a Win98SE (yes, it has to be Win98SE or WinME) boot disk and boot to that. This will allow you to access FAT32 partitions, and thus to access DCK on your hard drive. But, you will also need a few things 1) Legacy USB emulation, which can be enabled in your BIOS (if you don't know, I'm not going to bother explaining) and 2) a generic PS/2 mouse driver. If you've got all that, you should be able to boot to the boot disk and run DCK from there.

Oh boy! That sounds like a lot of work. That doesn’t look like much fun and I don’t know if I would like to put all that stuff in my computer because I don’t understand how any of it works. I guess I just have to say good by to my old comrade. Fare the well Doom Construction Kit.

Same here. When I got my computer, I had a choice between Windows 98 and Windows 2000. I chose Windows 98 for that very reason. Sure, I sacrificed a few nice features, but I wanted to use DCK and play DOS games.