Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dark1x

Console Doom Ports

May be you even can find this infamous texture cache overflow error in PSX Doom. When I encounter this myself in 90s, I thought my console getting crazy.

17 hours ago, Velcrosasquatch said:

Remember to include that John Romero officially deemed the PlayStation version of Doom to be superior to all other versions.

I tossed my diskettes out when I learned this, but some people still play the antiquated version on PC.

It's strange. I'd be at least a little bit offended if someone did to my maps what was done to Romero's maps in Jaguar Doom, which was the predecessor to PSX Doom.

with regards to the texture cache error, there's nothing too remarkable about that error, the game just tried to load too many graphics than what can fit into video memory. Kaiser once told a tale of having to go into the automap when using the BFG on Suburbs since that would frequently cause it. At least I think that's how the story goes...

9 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

At least it's got the best soundtrack rendition of the original Doom music though.

Oh it's very good, you're right, but I think this is my favorite rendition of the original tunes. This is the soundtrack I've been using while playing "Silent Doom" on the Jaguar.

36 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

May be you even can find this infamous texture cache overflow error in PSX Doom. When I encounter this myself in 90s, I thought my console getting crazy.

Had this happen on Sever The Wicked on UV mode more than once. Easiest way to trigger it is by going up to the far end of the map where the invul is without killing anything and then turning around to face all the monsters.

I've never managed it on Suburbs.

22 hours ago, Velcrosasquatch said:

Remember to include that John Romero officially deemed the PlayStation version of Doom to be superior to all other versions.

I tossed my diskettes out when I learned this, but some people still play the antiquated version on PC.

psx.jpg

I had to ask John about this via email just to see what his real thoughts were ;)  While he did love the way the Williams guys handled the port, he said it's pretty obvious the PC port is the best simply because of its controls being an overriding factor. I can't really disagree since, as much as I do love the PSX version myself, that d-pad is not a fine tool for moving around in Doom, and fumbling for the right weapon punching on all the shoulder buttons repeatedly while a Baron of Hell rips your face off is somewhat suboptimal. :P

I don't know how much into the weeds you want to get, but I should also link you to "Calico," which is @Quasar's backport of Jaguar Doom to Windows: 

One thing seeing it on PC really drives home (besides the horrendous 15fps framerate) is how the renderer was rewritten to use the Jaguar's special "CRY" color mode, which meant all the graphics had to fit within a particular limited palette but you got graduated lighting and color tinting effects basically for free.

I went through all console ports and condensed what ones are worth playing in this list.

I'd highly recommend the PSX version. It's the most unique port that offers a change from the original game. The color lighting effects, new sounds and ambient music offers a completely different experience from the original. 

On 6/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, VGA said:

Yeah, I don't own a iDevice but they basically took advantage of prboom, one of the most respected source ports and added several control schemes with configurability.

https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-iOS

They had to GPL-release the code, too.

There is something really bizarre about developing a product, releasing its design for free, waiting a few years, then scooping it up and reselling it! It kinda cool, actually, but, what a bizarre concept. It takes some effort to wrap my head around cause and effect here!

@dark1x I anxiously await your episode, and I'm off to check out DF Retro.

EDIT: Woah, didn't notice the post date. Looks like it's been released, for a while now:

DF Retro: Doom - Every Console Port Tested and Analysed!

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 12:29 PM, Da Werecat said:

It's strange. I'd be at least a little bit offended if someone did to my maps what was done to Romero's maps in Jaguar Doom, which was the predecessor to PSX Doom.

JagDoom was done in-house, so it's entirely possible that he altered the maps himself. It's neat looking at the betas of 32X Doom and seeing the maps go from more or less slightly retextured PC maps to their finalized Jag versions in mere days. And you can tell they were struggling to get E1M6 to run within the 32X memory requirements, while the seemingly more complex E1M7 was barely altered at all.

Obvious marketing hype aside, I really did miss the colored lighting, sounds, and music from the PSX version when I got Doom for the PC. It was easily the best console port available at that time, the only one I ever go back and play.

The PSX version is definitely something special and unique up to this day.  If you really want to double your fun you can play coop or deathmatch with the serial link cable.  I really miss the null modem days of fun. 

5 hours ago, kwkbox said:

The PSX version is definitely something special and unique up to this day.  If you really want to double your fun you can play coop or deathmatch with the serial link cable.  I really miss the null modem days of fun. 

I got 2 PSX units and serial link cable :)

Who edited the maps for Jag and 32X originally is actually one of the major things about Doom we still don't know - some of the articles on the wiki are currently claiming it was American McGee but to my knowledge there is NO evidence for that and it shouldn't be stated there (haven't had time to go through and challenge it on every single article...)

If somebody could coax a story out of one of the id devs about it, somebody that was there back then *must* know who was responsible. Last time I talked to Romero about it, he was oddly mum on the issue.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:37 PM, Medis said:

I got 2 PSX units and serial link cable :)

I have the same setup for myself.  I just wish the PSone mini had a serial port on it.  That was such a wasted opportunity on that revision.  

1 minute ago, kwkbox said:

I have the same setup for myself.  I just wish the PSone mini had a serial port on it.  That was such a wasted opportunity on that revision.  

Hehe, shall we play COOP someday online? I heard that we can use raspberry pi to just act as a modem and connect...

1 minute ago, Medis said:

Hehe, shall we play COOP someday online? I heard that we can use raspberry pi to just act as a modem and connect...

I don't have a raspberry pi because I am kind of an original hardware snob but having that ability is tempting.  I will have to look into it.

Raspberry is super-cheap, its just a tiny microcomputer... They say you can connect the Serial I/O so its GPIO pins and just send it over network. But I haven't investigated further either

On 6/1/2018 at 5:36 AM, Quasar said:

Who edited the maps for Jag and 32X originally is actually one of the major things about Doom we still don't know - some of the articles on the wiki are currently claiming it was American McGee but to my knowledge there is NO evidence for that and it shouldn't be stated there (haven't had time to go through and challenge it on every single article...)

If somebody could coax a story out of one of the id devs about it, somebody that was there back then *must* know who was responsible. Last time I talked to Romero about it, he was oddly mum on the issue.

I would think they'd be credited in the manuals, but IDK if there are in-game credits. By that point there usually were, but I feel like most devs still either used pseudonyms or went uncredited.