Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

How is the vram viewer supposed to look? I can see the textures and flats, but not the sprites.

Edited by marver0PS

Ok, just tried the thing I'm always doing when trying to create new map for console Dooms.

I've created a simple box, spawned a Doomguy & Cyberdemon, did everything needed to put into CD and...

"Map 01 not found". The size of this map is 1 kb, it uses only 2 textures + firesky + Cyberdemon sprites + Doomguy's sprites. I've used the latest tools from OP.

Something is definitely wrong here. The game does not recognize my map as Map01 without reason

Please don't forget to put the Date WHEN EXACTLY you did the update. I mean, after a month it will look like you did updates every hour because every link is "updated".

At present time I have a very limited Internet connection, so I can't download every time every archive without knowing it's really updated and I'm not trying to download the already downloaded archive.

UPD: Redownloaded everything. Same problem Map01 is not found.

Edited by DeXiaZ

One thing I will say, it took so little work to get Well of Souls into a playable state that I can only assume there was no technical reason why the level was cut. Either they just didn’t like it, didn’t have the time to make the tiny changes I’ve done, or opted to keep the level count limited to 30. Do we know any development timeline on Final Doom PS1?

1 minute ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

One thing I will say, it took so little work to get Well of Souls into a playable state that I can only assume there was no technical reason why the level was cut. Either they just didn’t like it, didn’t have the time to make the tiny changes I’ve done, or opted to keep the level count limited to 30. Do we know any development timeline on Final Doom PS1?

I assume that they got bored of doing it, you know the limitations, coloring, fixing and besides they wer also developing Doom 64 as well.

Sent your map to me via PM, i'll check it up, BTW, did you run the MAKE PSXDOOM CD.bat twice as was shown in the video and copied the PSXDIR to ABIN file and then running the PSXHAKIGN.exe?

1 hour ago, Erick194 said:

Sent your map to me via PM, i'll check it up, BTW, did you run the MAKE PSXDOOM CD.bat twice as was shown in the video and copied the PSXDIR to ABIN file and then running the PSXHAKIGN.exe?

Yes, I did. Ok, I'll sent my map to you.

@DeXiaZ map:

529u2ghb4ihm68czg.jpg

Excellent map, I've haven't played it at all, though. I think you need to practice how inserting everything calmer, try once again from the beginning. besides, I deleted the Chaingunners because the Cyberdemon consumes too much space in MAPSPR01.IMG. If you don't do it, it'll give the the ZMALLOC error. 

LMAO! GODDAMIT YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE ME WHAT WAS WRONG.

While doing the new insertings I was brainstorming what's wrong.

Ok, I'm using the PSX emulator called "Xebra" (in old times it was Abrex-Xebra).

The Game says that "Map 01 is not found". Why? Possibly because the EXE file inside the ISO doesn't know anything about my map. That's strange, you say? The next thought - WAIT, DOES XEBRA USE "NEWPSXDOOM.EXE" instead of just "PSXDOOM.EXE"?

So, I just run ISO in ePSXe and IT WORKED.

Xebra emulator just loading the wrong exe, I think. That's why I've got this error even if I did everything right.

Omg. Sounds like this PSX Doom project have special SOURCEPORT requerements. Guys, only ePSXe. No other emulators, *^&$ them.

Never give up @DeXiaZ because your map is great. Keep the faith. Happy you managed it!!!

I'm so happy to see you guys struggling with this. As @CoTeCiO said, this is all unexplored territory.

2 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Omg. Sounds like this PSX Doom project have special SOURCEPORT requerements. Guys, only ePSXe. No other emulators, *^&$ them.

Now I'm actually curious if this modded version would run on the console. I'll get blank CDs tomorrow and try it out. I found some CD-RWs that I could've used, but that damn console doesn't even realize there's a CD inserted when using one. Actually, having the ability of reading CD-RWs would have been great for modding.

I hope there are no issues running it on the actual hardware, that's really the point of a project like this. I've never liked ROM hacks that are restricted to a single emulator.

Ok, finally I've tested my map and got some things to be fixed.

With pistol start it's impossible to defeat Cyberdemon from the entryway. You need to get through the passage on the right and get through some demons (and soul spheres). But you can kill Cybbie after getting RL and BFG9000.

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

Spoiler

yXGg2eWh.jpg

fhkaU2yh.jpg

4x1Bk8yh.jpg

7GtGWZhh.jpg

XH6PBHMh.jpg

BTW, I forgot that floor_sky is not working. Do not repeat my mistake:

LoWwnjNh.jpg

Well of Souls is more or less finished at this point, I'm just finishing up the lighting (reusing my brightness and color values from Lost Levels is really speeding this up, though I've made some small color changes) and making sure all the unexpected rendering issues are gone.

I did find out that SW1SKUL2 is not properly set up to animate, which is annoying. I purposely freed up enough space in VRAM so I could keep that texture. Hopefully it can be fixed,the regular skull switches don’t look right at all.

Put me down for Caged, too. My Lost Levels conversion added sight blocking walls in anticipation of poor framerates--I wonder if they're actually needed!

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

I'm having troubles with stretched textures. The most annoying is this:

vMNYhjel.jpg

I've tried many things, but it doesn't help.

5 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I hope there are no issues running it on the actual hardware, that's really the point of a project like this. I've never liked ROM hacks that are restricted to a single emulator.

I could run my custom CD image fine on retroarch, but there might be other errors.

Please put me down to "Black Tower" from Master Levels - I've got an idea how to create the BIG Black Tower from PC to PSX without taking too much Vram (an texture errors). It will be impressive, better than in The Lost Levels (I hope). Anyway, I'll do my best with this

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If I can, mind if I try to give map 32 of plutonia [Go 2 It] for a spin?

It's yours now, remember showing results with screenshots.

45 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Please put me down to "Black Tower" from Master Levels - I've got an idea how to create the BIG Black Tower from PC to PSX without taking too much Vram (an texture errors). It will be impressive, better than in The Lost Levels (I hope). Anyway, I'll do my best with this

Black Tower level was gonna be ours, but upon seeing your last map, this slot is yours now. Go ahead! I wanna see that Big Black Tower!

6 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

I'm having troubles with stretched textures. The most annoying is this:

I've tried many things, but it doesn't help.

Is that a door, and is the texture Y offset? If so, make sure you're using a negative value, positive values will scale the texture instead. (Yay another fun rendering quirk!)

Here are (near) final screens of Well of Souls. The level is fully playable and I'll likely only make minor light changes at this point. The geometry is actually truer to the original than my Lost Levels conversion, and the framerate is very good (but I want to test this on hardware/a more accurate emulator).

141354097_PSXWellofSouls-Start.png.4a832e59ee0ff7ca6f2ecc0b95cd0b5a.png

Start area with the water lowered. The sky and water height in this area changed to avoid stretched textures on the walls.

1135416662_PSXWellofSouls-Hall.png.121cae3b4d9633600f42464e0c967e13.png

One of two "significant" geometry alterations. This wall prevents a point overflow error that occurred when looking down the unaltered version of this hall. Thankfully, the level design here lends itself really well to having the wall, the gameplay is barely altered!

149171757_PSXWellofSouls-Bridge.png.500822b07b3d195635e0ede94a3a0650.png

The other big change--the invisible bridge doesn't seem possible to recreate with this renderer, so rather than the bridge always being there, the shootable switch raises it along with the bridge posts.

Don't be surprised if I have to bail on map 32... Avast is cock-blocking me every few seconds :l

Also, is there any form of time limit I should worry about?

13 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Not sure if this comment is serious or not. ePSXe is a fairly inaccurate PSX emulator, and aiming for compatibility with at least Mednafen and XEBRA would be a lot better.