Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

UPDATE: The European Parliament has just passed these two articles! Don't give up yet though, see what you could do below!

The new Copyright Directive has two problematic articles, Article 11 and Article 13.

Article 13, in short, "requires that all websites check posts against a database of copyrighted work, and remove those that are flagged". This is very harmful because it's very costly for websites to perform these checks, and smaller content providers might not be able to handle this at all. Derivative works (parodies, memes, mashups, etc...) are at great risk because they could easily be deleted for not asking permission from the copyright holder that has copyright of the work that is being derived. (This in the US is often protected under Fair Use.)

Article 11 states that content providers who uses snippets from news sources must obtain permission from the said news sources. This means that if you use even just a small part of a news article, you still have to ask for the news source's permission.

Non-profit encyclopedias and code-sharing websites are excluded from being affected by these articles, but this only means the impact of this article will be toned down a little.

These two articles still have to go through a negotiation session which will end around December or January 2019, so there are things you can still do to avert these major problems:

For European users: Reach out to your MEP(s) (Member(s) of the European Parliament) here to convince them these two articles should be removed.

For non-European users: There's not much you can do right now, but you can help spread awareness of these dangerous articles through social media. You could also sign this petition here at Change.org.

I know that laws similar to this that have been turned down before (SOPA/PIPA act for example) but with the recent repel of net neutrality in the US there are reasons to take action.

Edited by mun

I created a thread about this a couple of weeks ago and it got locked for being "alarmist". I also think one of the mods said in somebody's blog that this would never pass.

Still think I was being alarmist? I assume Doomworld won't fallow these laws since it won't want to censor itself or because it simply can't afford the means to do so. I guess then that all doomers living in the EU will soon enough find themselves unable to visit this site after the EU has blocked it for now fallowing these new laws. Ditto for every other Doom site or even just the doom wiki and zdoom wiki. Even Moddb will probably be closed to Europeans so those living in the EU will have no way at all to make or play Doom mods. It was nice knowing ya all.

Okay, while this legit worries me, and I seriously hope some action is taken against it, how the everloving fuck do they even plan on enforcing this? How do they check if a site isn't following the proper procedure for testing if content is in the copyright database? How do they manage the copyright database? Are they going to rely entirely on volunteer reports or the like? I'm getting this feeling like they don't realize how big of a job enforcing this would be.

I guess we'll wait and see. I hope for the best, seriously...

8 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

Okay, while this legit worries me, and I seriously hope some action is taken against it, how the everloving fuck do they even plan on enforcing this? How do they check if a site isn't following the proper procedure for testing if content is in the copyright database? How do they manage the copyright database? Are they going to rely entirely on volunteer reports or the like? I'm getting this feeling like they don't realize how big of a job enforcing this would be.

I guess we'll wait and see. I hope for the best, seriously...

The true motivation here is to merely destroy the internet's ability to threaten the people with power (big companies, politicians etc) via spread of free information. They don't expect this system to work, they are probably just hoping that most sites will simply decide to take the easy route by banning any commenting and uploading of content which would have that very effect. The link tax also serves the same purpose since it will make it impossible for small sites lacking large amount of advertising to grow via word of mouth thus basically killing them.

This really has nothing to do with copyright, they just want to kill off the free flow of information because they are starting to realize how big of a threat this is to them.

It was nice knowing you European internet users. If this stuff sticks, I expect there will soon be a "Great Firewall" between the US and the EU. Please do everything in your power to make it known that it's not acceptable.

9 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Will this affect the US in any way?

You probably won't be sharing the pond with us UK and EU scum, that is all.

I imagine, if worst comes to worst, online platforms like streaming sites, forums and even online games will see a noticeable decline in (or segregation of) EU/UK members.

With these being the only things that keep me going in my sad existence, the real question is should I swallow a bullet now or wait to see how bad it gets?

16 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Will this affect the US in any way?

While arguments can be made about enforceability, from a liability POV and from the likelihood that the EU will interpret the law as applying to any site that is made available to EU citizens (aka, any site on the internet, period), US sites will have to either comply when used by such citizens, or will have to stop offering their services to them.

That's not the only thing this will do. Indie game development will probably also die in Europe because of this. How will they create awareness of their games without forums, youtube, social media and with people not being able to post links?

In fact, seeing as most of the tools used for game development (Modo, Zbrush, Autodesk maya, Houdini, Unreal etc) come from the USA, how will they even make games at all? And what about websites teaching how to code? All of this will be blocked...

EDIT: And holy shit let's not forget about steam. What the fuck will happen to steam? Don't all steam store pages have links to some other places as well as forums? Just lmao if steam gets banned in europe and the shitstorm this would create.

EDIT: Oh, and this will also mean wikipedia will get blocked as well.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

That's not the only thing this will do. Indie game development will probably also die in Europe because of this. How will they create awareness of their games without forums, youtube, social media and with people not being able to post links?

In fact, seeing as most of the tools used for game development (Modo, Zbrush, Autodesk maya, Houdini, Unreal etc) come from the USA, how will they even make games at all? And what about websites teaching how to code? All of this will be blocked...

EDIT: And holy shit let's not forget about steam. What the fuck will happen to steam? Don't all steam store pages have links to some other places as well as forums? Just lmao if steam gets banned in europe and the shitstorm this would create.

EDIT: Oh, and this will also mean wikipedia will get blocked as well.

You're just assuming that no one will implement the requirements; this isn't true for large platforms. YouTube already has the exact kind of filtering this law is demanding that everything adopt, so, it's just not affected at all. Places with forums as a secondary function might just choose to remove the forum feature, or place filtering of some sort on it.

Please don't get hysterical.

It's sites like GitHub, Wikipedia. and yes, Doom Wiki, that have the most to worry about:

• Any sort of filtering would break the basic content model
  • In the latter cases, the software required to implement it cannot be afforded anyways
  • It is a complete abridgement of the freedom of expression afforded by these platforms currently
  • In the latter cases, it may become an unacceptable liability to do something so basic as use a news website as a source. There are hundreds of links to news articles on the Doom Wiki alone.

18 minutes ago, Quasar said:

It's sites like GitHub, Wikipedia. and yes, Doom Wiki, that have the most to worry about

Specifically not, apparently:

The committee also sought to ensure that copyright law is observed online without unfairly hampering the freedom of expression that has come to define the internet.

Thus, the measures put in place by upload platforms to control that uploads do not breach copyright, must also be designed in such a way so as not to catch “non-infringing works”.  These platforms will moreover be required to establish easy redress systems through which a person can request the reinstatement of an upload if he considers that it was wrongly taken down due to an alleged breach of copyright.

The committee text also specifies that uploading to online encyclopaedias in a non-commercial way, such as Wikipedia, or open source software platforms, such as GitHub, will automatically be excluded from the requirement to comply with copyright rules.

Now, I'm not defending the text here, as I haven't read it yet, but this claim assuages the worst fears.

Mandatory filters, even with some exceptions, are still a terrible idea.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Specifically not, apparently:

Now, I'm not defending the text here, as I haven't read it yet, but this claim assuages the worst fears.

Mandatory filters, even with some exceptions, are still a terrible idea.

OK that is a new development that I hadn't heard made it in; I knew that the relevant interests were trying to make sure it happened but never heard that they succeeded. And indeed it's still awful on the whole, but at least we would have less to worry about given this.

This is terrible. The internet rights are eternal fight, because some old and greedy people, who don't know how this place works, demand to reduce already our short privileges. I'm scared more that there is a little exposure in my country as this never existed. Also they chose right timing for this due world cup football stuff and this got unnoticed by most people. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

3 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It was nice knowing ya all

Amazing that you just give up on this. I mean, what's the true extent of this? do you actually know about it? Will you try to search another way to chat with someone?...

Yeah...simply amazing that you throw the towel...

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It was nice knowing ya all.

Anyone willing to give up this easily at the first sight of bad news and not continue to fight bullshit policies like this don't deserve things like net neutrality and an open internet.

Just now, Nems said:

Anyone willing to give up this easily at the first sight of bad news and refuse to fight don't deserve things like net neutrality and an open internet.

Good thing that I live here where it has net neutrality. And yes, that mentalism of giving up is pathetic

Look I don't want this to happen anymore than you do but there are some things that are just not possible to control. The ONLY thing that could save us is that the outrage this could create coupled with the other problems the EU currently faces causes it to collapse in the next 4-8 years thus removing this law. Otherwise, I just fail to see what we can really do other than just weep.

3 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Look I don't want this to happen anymore than you do but there are some things that are just not possible to control. The ONLY thing that could save is that the outrage this could create coupled with the other problems the EU currently faces causes it to collapse in the next 4-8 years thus removing this law. Otherwise, I just fail to see what we can really do other than just weep.

Yeah.....you depend too much of the net. Net dependency is something that the majority of folks here can have, especially you apparently.

Look, I can be independent of the net anytime and still get most of the info. 
And, while I'm here, I'll say this. I hate people who wants to give up before trying ALL options.

14 minutes ago, Pegg said:

crucial info

Nice. Now we know that for europeans there's still a lot of time. 

Fight!!!

2 hours ago, Nems said:

Anyone willing to give up this easily at the first sight of bad news and not continue to fight bullshit policies like this don't deserve things like net neutrality and an open internet.

couldn't agree with this more. a lot of millenials who are our age won't even vote. next thing you know, they lose things like healthcare, right to vote, and other stuff. Because they didn't vote.

I stopped caring a long time ago. If this upsets you before its happened... good at least someone cares so I don't have to. I used to care about stuff... then I realized the world will not end if I stop caring. Life will go on.

13 minutes ago, geo said:

I stopped caring a long time ago. If this upsets you before its happened... good at least someone cares so I don't have to. I used to care about stuff... then I realized the world will not end if I stop caring. Life will go on.

we don't care (or even want) you to stay up all night thinking about it. it's not good for your sanity or mental health. 

but at the same token, you must care enough to vote. just find out how to get eligible wherever you are, register, and get off your rear end and vote. if you want to use doomworld, you must support legislation and candidates that will enable the survival of this site. regardless of where you are from, and regardless of what else you think. otherwise, you won't get it, and nobody will care what you think since you didn't care.

Edited by Pure Hellspawn

32 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

we don't care (or even want) you to stay up all night thinking about it. it's not good for your sanity or mental health. 

but at the same token, you must care enough to vote. just find out how to get eligible wherever you are, register, and get off your rear end and vote. if you want to use doomworld, you must support legislation and candidates that will enable the survival of this site. regardless of where you are from, and regardless of what else you think. otherwise, you won't get it, and nobody will care what you think since you didn't care.

Funny you mention voting to me, because I come from a family of active politicians. I go to vote on the lesser elections as its more of a family obligation. I would hate to embarrass my family by not voting, even at the elections that I know nothing about.

I was awfully disappointed I couldn't vote on my first Presidential election as the DMV I registered to vote decided that it wasn't going to send in the voter registration that year. That alone was mind blowing how they'd drop the ball. It seemed scandal worthy, but no one cared like I did.

However, I am not in Europe. In America we are free to care or not care as we please.

1 hour ago, geo said:

However, I am not in Europe. In America we are free to care or not care as we please.

And of course we see the end results of that every day lately :/