Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Soul

JDoom colour Pallete

When I change a colour in the pallete when making a JDoom leve, I can't eve make the damned wad work. I get a message saying invalid pallete or something to that effect. Is there some way to make a custom pallete work for JDoom editing? Should I save the .bmp I'm using to make the textre from as a .tgra first? Something esle perhaps?

The palette can't just be changed, as to get the new texture into the wad it must first be converted into 256 colours.

Create a folder under your data\jdoom folder called 'textures', and save your new texture there as an uncompressed TGA file (make sure it is named after the texture you want to replace, otherwise Jdoom won't find it). When you run Jdoom, it'll automatically pick up any new stuff from the \textures folder and use it instead of anything in the wad.

So, If I make a texture that has say more shades of green then are available to the standard Doom pallete, I can import it as a 256 colour TGRA image and it will appear just fine? Or must I convert it to the Doom 256 colour pallete specifically? (I'd rather not)

JDoom supports hicolor/hires textures when they're saved as TGA's, so just save it as a 32bit TGA and it'll be fine.

Lost Soul said:

So, If I make a texture that has say more shades of green then are available to the standard Doom pallete, I can import it as a 256 colour TGRA image and it will appear just fine? Or must I convert it to the Doom 256 colour pallete specifically? (I'd rather not)

No, don't import it into the wad. Simply save the texture as a .TGA file in the "data\jdoom\textures" folder (create it if it ain't there - and DON'T use compression options when saving the file). As long as it's named exactly the same as the texture in the WAD that will be replaced, Jdoom will find it and use this instead.
Repeat : Don't import it into the WAD.

Okay, so how would I make the registry in DeePsea recognize this? I thought when using this program all textures hadda be imported?
When designating a wall texture, tell DeePsea where the texture is located?

(I'm new to JDoom editing in case it's not obvious ;) )

Lost Soul said:

Okay, so how would I make the registry in DeePsea recognize this? I thought when using this program all textures hadda be imported?
When designating a wall texture, tell DeePsea where the texture is located?

(I'm new to JDoom editing in case it's not obvious ;) )

It's ok, it took me a bit of time to figure it out too (txt files aren't always that helpful)...

Ok, step-by-step.

1)Let's say you want to replace the texture 'ASHWALL3'. You would create your new texture, or manipulate the existing one, with a paint program. Bear in mind that these hi-res textures aren't restricted to the old 256x128 pixel sizes.

2)Ok, you've created your new texture. Save it as a .TGA file - remembering to turn off data compression - to a new folder called 'textures' which will be placed under "doomsday\data\jdoom". Make sure you name it EXACTLY the same as the original texture - in this case, 'ASHWALL3.TGA'.

3)Now, in your editing program, set any walls you want to contain this texture to 'ASHWALL3'.

4)Hey-Presto! When the WAD is read, Jdoom will automatically use the 'ASHWALL3.TGA' file in your 'data\jdoom\textures' folder instead of the 'ASHWALL3.BMP' found in the WAD.

Does this help?

You're not still trying to change the doom colour palette are you? this isn't required...

Nope. I actually just tested it out by soind what you said to ASHWALL3 and saved another version of Map01, and tried to boot that one up. I get to the title screen, and when I pick my difficulty and press enter, The game crashes and I get the message "Doomsday has encountered a problem and needs to close." Every time! The texture is in .tga format, and does have more colours than the doom pallete, but That's not the problem, is it? repeat, I have NOT tried to alter the pallete of the game for this.