Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HolyHominid

Doom Eternal at Quake Con.

Who all's going to Quake Con to check out Doom Eternal? What do you think they'll show? 

I'm personally on the fence as to whether it'll be playable or not. On one hand it seems a little bit too early, on the other hand I'm just hopeful and optimistic that they'll give us more than a trailer.

What do you guys think?

I think they'll show us a gameplay. This game is not being made from zero. It's like big dlc a bit. I really hope to play it on x-mass.

EDIT:

today I was thinking about glory kill on arachnotron - that would be cool. They for sure will show new monsters behaviors and how improved guns work.

I'll be there, but I go every year I can regardless. I'm sure they will do it the same way they did it for Doom 2016. Show us the teaser from E3, then gives a ~30 min game play demo performed by one of the developers on stage. After that maybe do a quick panel with the developers followed by a brief Q&A, as long as none of the answers pertain to spoiling anything about the plot. I'm hoping they will announce an actual release they are thinking of, as well as a collector's edition. Also if each member of the audience gets a free exclusive shirt like last time that would be awesome too.

I honestly doubt there will be a playable demo on the show floor as it still seems to early, but you never know. So far it seems likely that Rage 2 and Quake Champions are the best bets for what to expect to be playable there this year.

I reserved a room at the Gaylord but I am waiting until I see actual tickets on sale before I really make the commitment.  With flight, hotel, tickets and meals it is going to cost me nearly 3k to do it.  Just too much money.  Maybe next year.

3 hours ago, Zemini said:

I reserved a room at the Gaylord but I am waiting until I see actual tickets on sale before I really make the commitment.  With flight, hotel, tickets and meals it is going to cost me nearly 3k to do it.  Just too much money.  Maybe next year.

Yeah they've really dropped the ball on ticket sales this year. "April" my ass.

With all the uncertainty Ill just wait till next year.  I doubt Doom Eternal will be released before the next QuakeCon and I would rather go when it is playable.  3k is about two cases of Mercury Head.  I think I would rather take the wine while watching the stream online instead.  Sounds more relaxing!  In case you want to know, I always measure my expenses in Mercury Head bottles as a lost opportunity cost.  I am a big time wino

Im still salty about this. I know it's been 4 years, many people have forgotten about it, and that it's kinda ridiculous, but ever since they pulled that off, no amount of "WATCH THE LIVESTREAM AT QUAKECON" will make me regain my trust on a QuakeCon reveal

Hope you guys that make it have a great time tho

10 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

Im still salty about this.

It's funny reading the comments on that YouTube video.  Everyone was so sure it was going to be crap.

Lets just hope some hero brings in some hidden cameras for us.  My trust died in 2014.

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

Im still salty about this. I know it's been 4 years, many people have forgotten about it, and that it's kinda ridiculous, but ever since they pulled that off, no amount of "WATCH THE LIVESTREAM AT QUAKECON" will make me regain my trust on a QuakeCon reveal

Hope you guys that make it have a great time tho

I mentioned this in another thread but basically, letting us see it first was just a thank you gift from Bethesda and id for all the past years of them promising information and things about the new Doom and never delivering.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Lets just hope some hero brings in some hidden cameras for us.  My trust died in 2014.

Sounds like they will be streaming the whole thing this time around. Last time they had so many employees and volunteers standing in the aisles, if even got your phone out to check the time, you got your ass thrown out. They had that room locked down lol. 

3 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

Sounds like they will be streaming the whole thing this time around. Last time they had so many employees and volunteers standing in the aisles, if even got your phone out to check the time, you got your ass thrown out. They had that room locked down lol. 

Really? That's insane! Explains how there were literally no leaks back then though.

It literally says Gameplay Reveal Livestream in the teaser and they said during the reveal that you can tune in online to 'catch all the fun'. What's not clear about that?

EDIT: Also a quote directly from Bethesda Softworks Twitter:

"Witness the worldwide unveiling of #DOOM Eternal at #QuakeCon 2018 August 10th! The reveal will be live for attendees and livestreamed for everyone. #BE3"

Edited by Touchdown

Considering I live in the UK it'd be a wee bit of a swim to go there in person, and I don't have the kind of money to fork out to get there otherwise. Oh well, guess it's the livestream for me.

I really hope they do show the footage to EVERYONE this time. Making us wait an extra year was BS and almost killed all the hype and confidence in the game before it even came out. 

1 hour ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

They said they will so unless they're liars we can expect to see footage ;)

Some people believed they lied in 2014.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Some people believed they lied in 2014.

It was definitely pretty shitty that they announced it would be shown at QuakeCon, and then almost immediately "clarified" that it would be exclusive to attendees. As if they couldn't have said that from the get-go. That would've generated a lot less backlash.

At some point they really should have released the footage they showed at QuakeCon 2014, just for historical interest, but modern id doesn't seem to really care about that, so whatever.

11 hours ago, Linguica said:

At some point they really should have released the footage they showed at QuakeCon 2014, just for historical interest, but modern id doesn't seem to really care about that, so whatever.

I thought it was the same foundry footage from the following e3? It seemed to match all the descriptions of the QuakeCon footage that I read.

Even so, it would have been from an earlier build which would be fun to see. I'd imagine there were differences between what they showed then and what they finally showed to the public at e3 

I find it hard to believe that the game in August 2014 looked exactly the same as the game in May 2015, especially since "E3 crunch" is a well known phenomenon.

Right. I'd love to see what they all saw behind closed doors and compare it to what they finally showed off. Then compare that to what we got in the end :D

They supposedly gave some of the footage to Noclip for their documentary, but it was about ten seconds worth and I'm not even entirely sure it was the actual gameplay they showed at QC as it looked VERY similar to the footage we got in 2015.

4 hours ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Even so, it would have been from an earlier build which would be fun to see. I'd imagine there were differences between what they showed then and what they finally showed to the public at e3 

There really wasn't that much of a difference honestly.

During my Doom 4 obsession of 2015/2016 I found a article which talked about that very QC2014 reveal trailer in some detail.  Apparantly some of that video was cut up and reused for the initial game reveal trailer.  Most of it took place in the Foundry and some of it in a unknown (snapmap like) level.  I guess that might suggest that parts of Snap Map might actually be rejected levels during development.  Would love it if ID would confirm this.