Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonologist

First-try Demo Contest #18 (June 23rd, 15:00 UTC)

So, I'm the evil puppet master now.

This time the map is going to be for Ultimate Doom in limit-removing format so make sure you have the appropriate IWAD and engine. And yes, it's going to be manageable.

Spoiler

Detailed info & rules:

General information:
1. Map format - Limit-removing, demo format - Ultimate Doom (-complevel 3 in PrBoom-Plus), IWAD - doom.wad, author - Demonologist, tester - skepticist.
2. Recommended EXEs:
PrBoom-Plus/GlBoom-Plus with complevel 3

3. Recommended command lines:
prboom-plus -iwad doom -file phlegwvs -complevel 3 -warp 3 5 -skill 4 -record YOURNICK
glboom-plus -iwad doom -file phlegwvs -complevel 3 -warp 3 5 -skill 4 -record YOURNICK
(replace YOURNICK with your nickname)

Players are permitted to use the "-longtics" parameter if they want to.

Contest plan:
1. At June 23rd 14:00 UTC the link to passworded .ZIP archive containing the WAD file and the additional link with .bat files containing the command lines above will be posted in this thread (to speed up the recording process).
2. At June 23rd 15:00 UTC the password to the archive will be posted in this thread. You should immediately unzip the archive and start recording your demo (use the command lines above).
3. During the demo recording it's forbidden to:

- use any TAS tools and features

- pause the game

- switch between applications

- enter the in-game menu.

More than 30 seconds of WT tics (being idle) will count as foul play.
4. If you die, press USE instead of restarting the demo. There is no limit for deaths, but all attempts should be in a single demo file.
5. After you have finished recording, archive your demo into a .ZIP file with the same file name immediately, upload it to a web hosting of your preference and send it to me via a private message or in any other way available to you. Use only Latin letters and underscore symbol for file names.
6. After the 3 hours the contest will be declared over, and the demo processing will start.

Results processing:
1. I'll compare your upload time and your demo time. The difference should be no more than 4 minutes (e.g. contest starts at 15:00 UTC, your demo time is 12:34 and you've uploaded your demo at 15:15:00 UTC, so that's OK). If the difference is more than 4 minutes, then every extra full minute will cost you +5 minute penalty to your demo time (e.g. contest starts at 15:00 UTC, your demo time is 34:56 and you've uploaded your demo at 15:42:00 UTC, so you will have +15 minute penalty and your total time will be 49:56). But if the difference is more than 15 minutes, your demo will be out of contest.
2. I'll watch all your demos and form the final results table. The demo with the shortest total time wins (death count is not taken into account).

If you're not familiar with the event - here's the previous contest's thread:

This is it. Come one, come all!

fdc18batfiles.zip

fdc18map.zip

Replace YOURNICK with, well, your nick.

The participants around here are all experienced folks, nevertheless I'm feeling obliged to remind a few things before the contest starts:

- don't forget about the time limit for uploading and sending your demo (you can attach files in PMs here as well, but still), so start composing your PM beforehand;

- don't use another complevel (it's -complevel 3 this time around) and don't change the difficulty setting (-skill 4), violations in that regard are reason enough for disqualifying your demo;

- don't forget to visit the restroom.

Good luck everyone. I'll be happy with any kind of exit at all, regardless of time :).

Welp, for some reason I thought that killing the cybers will cause these bars to lower. Only when pretty much everything was dead I realized that there is more to do, so I spent a lot of time running around with these cryptic switches. Overall I played rather carefully, stopping for almost every fight, so I guess I can expect to be fifth or something.

The map was good! Pleasant castle design, nicely spacious areas suitable for running fast, very trappy but never really overwhelming. I felt sliiight ammo shortage at the beginning but there were always more shells to find. Thanks for this contest and I'm looking forward to watching the winning demo!

1 minute ago, Demonologist said:

Is it? Seems like everything worked for other people, and I also double-checked before going public with it...

I used WinRAR, sorry for not adding that in my post. But still, is there something wrong when using WinRAR?

when copy-pasting from this thread, there are some invisible encoding characters before the @ and after the password that messed things up for me.

typing out the password manually worked for me (using 7-zip)

37 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

when copy-pasting from this thread, there are some invisible encoding characters before the @ and after the password that messed things up for me.

Thanks, but I'm too late anyway. It's on me though because I forgot all about this. :(

41 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

That's strange, no idea what might be causing it. Regional encoding issues?..

The contest is over, thanks to all the participants. The results are going to arrive soon enough, stay tuned.

Not sure about invisible characters but it is true that there is a space after the password in your post, which I had to remove after copying.

There are random \ufeff characters in a copied text when I do this:
First double-click some word (it gets selected) and afterwards select some arbitrary text and copy it.

Happens to me in Chromium and only on Doomworld. Tried Firefox but it doesn't seem to happen there. Very weird bug...

And I thought I was crazy when the first time I copied the password it didn't work but it worked the second time.

@blob1024

It's E3M5.

Results:

Congrats to all the winners!

As sad as it is, this time around some participants managed to gather some penalties, Plut in particular lost his leaderboard position that way. Password issues are also weird, things like those must've been really embarrassing, can't remember anything like that happening before.

Demos:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3krj23tur6n49aj/fdc18demos.zip/file

Thanks a lot again to all who participated!

@Memfis As far as I can tell - spaces appear at the end of every string in here, so I'm not the one to blame. Try copying any other message and you'll see.

Not sure I understand the whole upload thing cause I thought I pmed you right away after making the demo/renaming it but either way was fun. :D

Congrats to Memfis on the win, and thanks for organizing Demonologist! Always happy to participate in these, so let's hope the next one happens sooner rather than later. Until next time...

Wow, thanks! Quite surprised with this result. I thought that since I used a safe/slow approach of basically killing almost everything I would arrive 4th or so. Maybe stopping to fight isn't such a waste of time after all...

@Bdubzzz not really, as there has been notable delay, sorry. But yeah, having fun is the main thing.

@NoisyVelvet It's 4 mins of the delay allowed and then 7 mins bringing 5 mins to your final time each, which makes 35 mins penalty in total. But yeah, I guess it's +10 mins more, heh. I was rather sleepy by the time I was counting all that, yikes.

So it's better not to use the "@" in passwords to avoid this confusing mess huh... So very useful instead of "a" for increased password strength, but oh well.

Edited by Demonologist

@Demonologist does this delay timer start as soon as you unzip the file? If so then the 7 minutes makes more sense because I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out where this program called "unpacker" put the damn file, it was in a folder called unpacker instead of just creating a new folder like everything else does... I used this program because normal windows 10 7-zip gave me error with passworded file.