Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Best Map in All of Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment

2 hours ago, Xfing said:

No idea why Odyssey of Noises is so loved. The gameplay is perhaps great, but aesthetically it's waaaay too brown. Brown everywhere! [emphasis added]

Are you sure you have no idea?

And it's hardly more monotonous than a great many maps from over 20 years ago.

Well personally I think even Downtown and Industrial Zone are way nicer to look at.

Doom 1, E2M8. A simple map, but it contains a very nasty surprise the first time you get that far, and if you limped your way there, you're quite boned.

I've also got a soft spot for E2M3 and E2M6.

Doom 2... couldn't care less really. Only a handful of maps stuck out to me.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, Beelzethoth said:

least favorite: the evilution maps with mandatory secrets. Fuck that noise!

LOL... I agree with you. I despise mandatory secrets so much because such way of playing is just total bullshit! Even though Fortress of Mystery could also be considered yet another ass map because the area with all the keys is just too short and not interesting and yet it's yet another example of a fucking mandatory secret!

On 6/22/2018 at 7:12 AM, Xfing said:

No idea why Odyssey of Noises is so loved. The gameplay is perhaps great, but aesthetically it's waaaay too brown. Brown everywhere!

It doesn't matter if it is brown; it is still an amazing map. I love exploring a city-like map endlessly!

Oh, also honestly my favorite maps in Ultimate Doom are mainly those in Knee-Deep in the Dead. I don't even fucking know why, I am just so obsessed with them, because they are totally solid gameplay, and also designed by John Romero.

My favorite maps in Doom II would probably be, aside from all the John Romero maps (excluding tenements because it is not fun compared to the rest):

• Those by Sandy Petersen would be Tricks and Traps and Downtown.
  • Those by American McGee would be The Crusher (it is just too interesting, and humorous when the spider mastermind is getting crushed) and The Catacombs (IDEK why)

My least favorite maps in Doom II would be certainly The Chasm, The Pit, and Refueling Base (because I am sick of looking for all the countless secrets there).

My favorite maps in TNT Evilution would be Nukage Processing and Dead Zone, because they are just too great, as well as their music being extreme good.

My least favorite maps in TNT Evilution would definitely be Metal, Administration Center, HABITAT (of course it's the biggest pile of bullshit out of all the official iWADs, that's why I highlighted it with all caps), Mount Pain (that one is too unfair, 1000 times unfairer than The Chasm), and Last Call (that one has one of the dumbest TNT ideas ever, which is the platforming at the start, and also it has one of the dumbest music lumps out of all of Doom).

My favorite maps in The Plutonia Experiment are all of them. They are just so fun, and not a single one is even remotely bad in the slightest! :-D

PS - If you think that I am a fan of Altima Mantoid or BigMacDavis, then you are correct. I agree with their opinions on these, even when I was playing these maps back in 2006.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:43 PM, nxGangrel said:

You know what? The great thing about entertainment is that every thing is subjective. People have different likings, different opinions, and that's fine. Your opinion doesn't mean more than mine, and mine doesn't mean more than yours. Neither of us is wrong nor right. Even down to single level within a 32 level map set, no opinion is objective and that everyone has to believe it. That's the wonderful thing about all of this :)

Reveal hidden contents

Actually go fuck yourself.

Uh, that post wasn't addressed to you. It was addressed to someone else. You're fine. Hope you have a better day.

1 hour ago, superchargecacodemons799 said:

Fortress of Mystery... [is] yet another example of a fucking mandatory secret!

Uh, no, it's not. It's a secret level, which means progressing through it isn't required to complete the episode.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Secret_level

If Fortress of Mystery is a mandatory secret, then so is Military Base, Warrens, Fear, Wolfenstein, Grosse, TNT MAP31-32 (whatever they're called), Cyberden, and Go 2 It, among many others.

Welp, call me simple, but dead simple stroke for me the first time i played it. And for that i like every intepretetion of Doom M7 be like that.

For Doom 1: E1M8 and E4M2

e2m4>e4m2

I wanna second Deimos Labs. It really feels like a modern level. Its got atmosphere and logical layout and secrets galore. Did I mention traps?

e1m1 is obviously a fantastic classic, but e2m4 stands right besides it. I dont think there is another stage in the original game as open-ended as e2m4. It begs to be made sense of, too. The beginning appears to be a reception area and then you have rooms with various experiments and a system surrounded by nuclear sludge that connects it all. Cuz there is nukage on mars, duh!

Onbviously. anything from episode 4 is likely better done than elsewhere. Might as well vote for e1m8b.

Innermost Dens occurs within the most boring stretch of Doom2. Beautifully done, but the author rightfully spurned his 'immitators'.

The latter stages in DOOM2 also really hit the mark. But, again, I think that is more of an aethetic compliment than one regarding map design.

Turns out I never actually answered the question..

Ultimate Doom

E4M2 Perfect Hatred

Honorable mention for E1M9 Military Base and E3M6 Mt. Erebus

Doom 2

Map 15 Industrial Zone takes the cake

Honorable mention for Map 16 Suburbs, Map 28 The Spirit World, and Map 29 The Living End

TNT

I make no apology for really liking TNT. It's hard to pick a favorite because none is as good as my favorites from other iwads but there are so many I really like, especially

Map 11 Storage Facility

Map 15 Dead Zone

Map 18 Mill

Map 26 Ballistyx

Map 27 Mount Pain

Plutonia

Map 29 Odyssey of Noises

Honorable mention for Map 05 Ghost Town, Map 10 Onslaught and Map 23 Tombstone

18 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

TNT MAP31-32 (whatever they're called)

Pharaoh and Caribbean

Pharaoh btw is WEIRD because the yellow key is only available in multiplayer. Nvm though because I have tnt31.wad fixing it

On 6/28/2018 at 5:57 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Uh, no, it's not. It's a secret level, which means progressing through it isn't required to complete the episode.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Secret_level

If Fortress of Mystery is a mandatory secret, then so is Military Base, Warrens, Fear, Wolfenstein, Grosse, TNT MAP31-32 (whatever they're called), Cyberden, and Go 2 It, among many others.

All I said was that it CONTAINS a mandatory secret, just like Dead Simple and some others. I never said that the LEVEL is a mandatory secret.

I have a soft spot for Doom 2 M16 "Suburbs".  I mean come on!  A map that starts off with an Arch-Vile right outside the door in front of you at the start?  What's not to love about that?  And then of course what happens when you pick up the Blue Keycard especially playing on UV difficulty. 

I also have a love-hate relationship with Doom 2: No Rest For The Living M5 "Vivisection". 

Barrels of Fun from Doom II is and will always be my favorite map because it feels so out of place in the game and I love it

On 7/1/2018 at 11:50 AM, Maser said:

I have a soft spot for Doom 2 M16 "Suburbs".  I mean come on!  A map that starts off with an Arch-Vile right outside the door in front of you at the start?  What's not to love about that?  And then of course what happens when you pick up the Blue Keycard especially playing on UV difficulty. 

I also have a love-hate relationship with Doom 2: No Rest For The Living M5 "Vivisection". 

Suburbs is surprisingly hard, the number of monsters is scary and the music is pulse-pounding, definitely a great Sandy map, that one!

Doom 1: Favorite: E2M2, cause i love me berserking imps and crate mazes
Least Favorite: E3M5, don't think i need to explain why

Doom 2: Favorite: Map 10, open ended maps are a thing of beauty
Least Favorite: Map 9, mostly for the pointless rooms with the elevators

TNT: Favorite: Map 13, cause on a fundamentals level it's absolutely genius (sequence break at the beginning and computer map right at the end to encourage multiple playthroughs)
Least Favorite: Map 25, just cause you can just skip map 22

Plutonia: Haven't finished it yet, but thus far my favorite map is 4, and i haven't found a level i dislike yet

Edit: wow, i revitalized this post...

Edited by yunogasai666

Doom 1

Favorite: E2M4 because of the atmosphere and replayability

Least favorite: E4M4 because it's an uninspired filler map

Doom 2

Favorite: Map 15, because it felt epic at the time, and finding the secret chain to secret exit was very rewarding

Least favorite: Map 30 because it's ugly and anticlimatic (no new boss, just a wall spawning all the monsters we already know)

TNT Evilution

Favorite: Map 20, because it felt like an epic adventure at the time

Least favorite: Map 24, because it's short and pointless

Plutonia

Favorite: map 23 because it feels like The Shores of Hell on steroids

Least Favorite: map 31, because it's basically doing the same Cyberdemon fight 4 times in a row + some uninspired progression in between. Arguably the least inspired of all official secret maps. (together with E4M9)

On 8/9/2017 at 10:40 PM, wheresthebeef said:

Yeah, I might say E4M2, pistol start.

When I'm feeling particularly masochistic... I'll agree. 

I even have a save file dedicated to E4M2.. 

Ultimate Doom: Perfect Hatred 

Doom II: Inmost Dens 

TNT: Carribean/ Stronghold 

Plutonia: The best iwad. Really can't pick one map. My answer will change every time.

Some of my favourites - Caged, Ghost Town, Onslaught, Speed, Twilight, Go 2 it, Neurosphere

Edited by paturn : Formatting

Ultimate Doom

Favourite: E2M9 - A lesson on the power of infighting.

Least favourite: E1M1 - :monkaHmm:

Doom II

Favourite: MAP08 - A box of surprises with high replay value.

Least favourite: MAP30 - Good concept but that's all it has going for it.

TNT: Evilution

Favourite: MAP07 - Lots to explore and lots to fight without being a slog.

Least favourite: MAP24 - Quick and pointless.

The Plutonia Experiment

Favourite: MAP11 - Manages to provoke a strong emotional response with a simple layout and a single enemy type.

Least favourite: MAP24 - Too long and too easy.

E3M2 & honorable mention: E1M1!

Least favourite: E2M2.

* Oh, i haven't played Plutonia, and only once TNT, so their levels are not in the running for me, but i doubt it'd make a difference.

Edited by dei_eldren

-Ultimate Doom

Favourites:

E2M3 because is pumping actions since the very start,

E2M4 because its creepy as hell and those face on the walls really fit the choir in the music,

E3M6 excellent sandbox map,

E4M2 epitome of aggression with the one of the best midi of the game.

Don't like much:

E2M2 is a slog and the music made it drag a lot and the starting area just remind me of how large is it and makes me yawn.

Half E1 after M4, it becomes really repetitive.

-Doom 2

Favourites:

map04 really good map with interesting areas,

map05 probably the best map of the first episode; spooky and cool,

map13 sandbox map with a really sense of dread and melancholy to it,

map15 tall tall building of an industrial area,

map16 ravaged location full of dread and danger,

map17 awesome map with interesting areas,

map20 the episode ending awesome intro and awesome progress,

map26 similar to map17, good offering in all aspects,

map28 most mind fucking map of the set,

map29 most epic map of the set

Don't like much:

map03 just boring;

map07 boring;

map09 (midi is best part) its just a pit with side areas and not much good looking, almost the same as map08;

map12 where is the factory?;

map18 interesting starting area but its just another map08 style of map;

map21 nope, just nonsense boring;

map22 fuck this, it makes no sense, at least is kinda fun;

map23 one of the wors on the mapset for me;

map27 big undetailed room after big undetailed room;

map31 joke and bad;

map32 joke and bad, at least offers a little challenge and a creepy end area;

-TNT: Evilution

Favourites:

map01 perfect intro map;

map02 nice start that turns into a corrupted military zone;

map03 awesome collector map;

map04 epitome of atmosphere;

map05 aggressive and atmospheric;

map06 episode ends in a really spooky note;

map07 its not a dead simple clone and its probably one of the best and more atmospheric maps on the mapset;

map08 fuck all the wimps that cries at METAL, this map is sheer glory of abstract design;

map09 hitscanner hell and well done;

map10 only two areas, and perfect challenge;

map11 awesome take on storage sneaking;

map12 and open side of the hellship over a crater, interesting progression, awesome optional areas;

map13 waste dispossal area of the ship, really good looking areas with awesome progression;

map14 the second most atmospheric map on the set, totally bonkers on how good it is on represent the furnace that fuels the hellship;

map15 a watchtower on the high end of the hellship, deadly silent and with multiple paths to tackle;

map31 the atmospheric map that change everything out there and blowed most people minds, fuck the bug, this map is great;

map32 rough vacations after the pharao test, now this get spicy;

map16 another high point on atmosphere, just amazing how deep this map can go;

map17 its come out of nowhere after the awesome map16, and it really short for this mapset, but is fun as hell;

map18 a multi area map that let us take a glimpse on the different areas of the hellship, probably another part of the engine area;

map19 the cargo bay of the hellship, with a cargo truck and everything;

map20 the longest map on the set and a erfect adventure;

map21 the hellish and corrupted administration area of the hellship, just awesome;

map22 the habitat deck, corrupted and twisted by hell, neat details, but ugly progression;

map23 really cool map with good looking areas and awesome arena;

map24 a deathmatch arena turned into a proper map, awesome layout reminiscent of map16 and interesting challenge;

map25 kinda ugly and rough mazey map that still offers a good gameplay and neat understanding of the corrupted ship;

map26 simply awesome map full of interesting areas, some mazey corridors, dark and atmospheric details;

map27 rough around the edges but awesome in showing how we are reaching the core of the hellship;

map28 another map18 style map with awesome challenge and really good areas;

map29 one of the best atmospheric intro areas and then a really neat and challenging puzzle;

map30 the puzzle to the core area, the challenge, and the final call to end this voyage...

...but it really ends?

Don't like much:

people that don't understand how amazing TNT: Evilution is.

-The Plutonia Experiment

Favourites:

map11 to 20 are just perfect

map21 to 30 are really good.

Don't like much:

the music used for this is a pastiche of UD and D2, and the selection is not the best either, the midipack help, but it tries to emulate the feel of the original music, too;

map01 to map10 are kinda boring and repetitive, not much derivative of Doom 2, so a real let down.

map31 switch-cyberdemon-kill-repeat;

map32 not original enough for me, just kill all on sight.

Some of my favorites

• E4M1, E4M2, TNT MAP 4 Wormhole [awesome music]

Some of my Least favorites [ones that i hate]

• Doom 2 Nirvana and barrels o fun

Ultimate doom: e1m1, e1m3, e1m8, e1m9, e2m2, e2m3, e2m8 (awesome music), e3m2 (music), e3m6. The rest... meh

DOOM II: Map01, Map27, Map07, Map09, Map19, Map29.

TNT: The whole wad, especially MOUNT PAIN (a lot of people say it sucks, I like it)

Plutonia: Hadn't finished it yet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maps I don't like that much: TNT map16 (it's fine for me, but it could have been better), Doom II: The inmost dens Bloodfalls (good map, but a little boring for me)

Maps I hate: e2m5,e3m5, Doom II map 21,23,24,13. HABITAT (fuck habitat, that's the only map I hate of TNT) Maybe Plutonia Map29? I mean, it's an awesome city, but I get lost

There's something I really love about Gotcha's "Multiple islands in a lava lake" layout.

Plutonia's Speed is just downright beautiful and any map with similar theming to it tends to be an instant fav of mine.

10 minutes ago, Sharkbrain said:

There's something I really love about Gotcha's "Multiple islands in a lava lake" layout.

Plutonia's Speed is just downright beautiful and any map with similar theming to it tends to be an instant fav of mine.

My favourite map on all the set :)