Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pre

Graphics card for Doom Eternal

I'm running a 1070 on 4k right now.  It's an amazing card for the price but it barely runs Doom on low at 55 FPS and down to 40 FPS in the really "rich" levels.  The 1080ti is the top card at the moment and no end is in sight.  I hope by the time Eternal releases they will have a new card ready because I'm already making financial plans to upgrade my 1070 when Eternal comes out.  I want a card that will give me the most longevity.  Maybe they will have the next gen Titan.

1080p on high or max settings is more than enough imo.

I don't understand what people find so cool at 4k.

Edited by Agent6

14 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I don't understanding what people find so cool at 4k.

This is the same thing people said about 1024x768 when 640x80 was normal.

But yes, the advice here for @Pre is reduce the resolution, it will greatly improve your framerate and save you needing a new card.

If you're insisting on playing at 4k, wait until the game spec is announced before making any purchases. 

19 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

And they probably did the same when 1080p first became a thing. I actually did that, but being stuck on 1280x1024 for almost a decade was a nightmare, due to that 1080p still feels incredibly futuristic for me sometimes. 5:4 was cancer, and getting a 16:9 monitor was a game changer.

Yet, 4k is likely never going to become an attraction for me, 1080p does its job very well when the games are maxed out and for everything else. For that it first needs to become the standard, and that's not happening anytime soon.

Edited by Agent6

As long as I aim for higher frames, I will never need 4k. Can't have both without practically running a workstation. I would rather play at 144hz then 4k everyday of the week.

@PreOn 1070 you can play on ultra high with 2k resolution. Playing on 4k in low it's not a good idea, cause you miss very nice stuff. What is your CPU?

BTW: for example on 1070 Rage runs as hell in solid 60 fps in 4k

I've never understood the appeal of 4 and 5k resolution. It's a rediculous leap from 1080p that's just really not needed, at least not yet.

to those who dont get the need for 4k, ive got a 1070 as well and i run doom16 at 4k with dsr on my 1080p tv. the image quality is really much better than standard 1080p. all settings are maxed and fps stay in the 50s 90% of the time. textures are more defined and aliasing artifacts are greatly reduced. i could see dropping it down to 1080p for multiplayer but otherwise there is honestly no going back. clearer textures, almost no aliasing...

5 minutes ago, rampancy said:

4k with dsr on my 1080p tv

so when you turn, the screen turns 5 seconds later?

10 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

But yes, the advice here for @Pre is reduce the resolution, it will greatly improve your framerate and save you needing a new card.

If you're insisting on playing at 4k, wait until the game spec is announced before making any purchases. 

Yep I will.  We still have a year and a half so I'm in no rush.  I won't sell my liver, yet.

55 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I've never understood the appeal of 4 and 5k resolution. It's a rediculous leap from 1080p that's just really not needed, at least not yet.

I love gaming at 4k.  I still use my old 1080 monitor for my 2nd pc and I tried Doom on it.  You see pixels easily, settings won't cover up pixels, so even on low settings my 4k screen is better than the 1080p on the highest settings.  But this is just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Teder said:

@PreOn 1070 you can play on ultra high with 2k resolution. Playing on 4k in low it's not a good idea, cause you miss very nice stuff. What is your CPU?

BTW: for example on 1070 Rage runs as hell in solid 60 fps in 4k

Using the 4790K.  If you believe my CPU is causing this, I don't think that is the case since it exceeds the system requirements.  Even my 2nd pc which has a FX4350 and a 1070 runs doom fine, all it changes is how fast it loads.  I built the gaming setup for a different game and well, now it's time to upgrade to something that can play Doom.

58 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

so when you turn, the screen turns 5 seconds later?

lol no 

op, how much vram does ur 1070 have? how much system ram, and is the game installed on an ssd or what? 

bc i have same processor and dont have to run on low.

Edited by rampancy

I bought a 970 for DOOM, my rig is from 2012 with an ol i5 etc. With a little energon, and a lot of luck, I will attempt to run Doom Eternal with this computer.

I played Doom 3 with really really low specs and performance at the time as I recall, still enjoyed it though.

3 hours ago, rampancy said:

lol no 

op, how much vram does ur 1070 have? how much system ram, and is the game installed on an ssd or what? 

bc i have same processor and dont have to run on low.

8GB vram, 16GB system ram, installed on an ssd.  Put everything back on ultra and the 2 options for nightmare in Kadingir Sanctum and it runs at 56-60 in some areas, and then 45 in some areas, and during fights 45.  So depending on where you are standing it changes and very rarely I get 60FPS if it's in a spot that isn't very demanding(start of the level, or looking at the sky).

And if I'm in a huge fight with possessed soldiers shooting those charged orb attacks it stutters and causes me to die in some areas/levels.  This is the main reason I put it on low.

Pre, since we both have about the same setup, have u tried setting the quality to high and the resolution scale to around 80%? i never usually mess with resolution scaling, seems like a console problem lol... but it does allow 4k with higher quality at 60fps by scaling the resolution during intensive scenes. 

i changed my settings to ultra with 90% scaling and its smooth enough for me although im still fooling with it atm. since im downsampling 4k on a 40" 1080p tv i really cant even see the scaling at 90%, esp since its usually during scenes where im constantly in motion. 

neways ive been fooling with the settings since this thread and thought that might work for you. 

Edited by rampancy

I will use my current video card - GTX 970. I hope it will be enough for Doom, but I'm looking for 1170 or something. I don't care about 4K, 1080p is enough, but I can play at 720p without any problem if my PC will be slow. I think it will be fully playable in singleplayer and with good graphics too(like Wolfenstein 2). I only hope for good optimisation in mutiplayer.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:59 PM, rampancy said:

Pre, since we both have about the same setup, have u tried setting the quality to high and the resolution scale to around 80%? i never usually mess with resolution scaling, seems like a console problem lol... but it does allow 4k with higher quality at 60fps by scaling the resolution during intensive scenes. 

i changed my settings to ultra with 90% scaling and its smooth enough for me although im still fooling with it atm. since im downsampling 4k on a 40" 1080p tv i really cant even see the scaling at 90%, esp since its usually during scenes where im constantly in motion. 

neways ive been fooling with the settings since this thread and thought that might work for you. 

I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the help.  Gonna sell my 2 1070 FEs at 300 bucks each for my Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme watercooled GPU fund.  The price keeps going up and down, it was 1,100.00 now it's 950.00.  Hopefully it goes down to the 8's by January 2019.

Looks like GPU's will return to normal soon.  ASIC's are now slaughtering any chance GPU's have of competing in the arms race to dig up more bitcoins.  OPEN UP YOUR WALLETS BOYS!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:08 AM, Pre said:

Looks like GPU's will return to normal soon.  ASIC's are now slaughtering any chance GPU's have of competing in the arms race to dig up more bitcoins.  OPEN UP YOUR WALLETS BOYS!

Thank god. The price for GPU's has been ludicrous for some time now due to the bitcoin miners. Hopefully RAM prices will drop as well.

10 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Thank god. The price for GPU's has been ludicrous for some time now due to the bitcoin miners. Hopefully RAM prices will drop as well.

Ya the nvidia turing gpus have been announced, can't wait.  GDDR6, 12GB of vram, higher clock speeds.  Here is a video of what a 1070 FE does on Ultra/Nightmare settings.