Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

Enemies you don't want to return

Are there any enemies from Doom 2016 that you do not want reappearing in Doom Eternal? Perhaps the summoner or a few possessed humans. Maybe something really annoying to face or perhaps a monster so unique to fight, you don't want it to be worn out?

Personally, I don't want the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind to return. They were fun to fight but I feel that if they are reused as bosses, it will betray a lack of originality and if they are used as ordinary enemies (as in Doom II), it would really ruin how unique they were to fight. 

What does everyone else think?

40 minutes ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Personally, I don't want the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind to return. They were fun to fight but I feel that if they are reused as bosses, it will betray a lack of originality and if they are used as ordinary enemies (as in Doom II), it would really ruin how unique they were to fight.  

A Cyberdemon wouldn't fit in Doom Eternal, since he basically was a unique result of UAC research if I remember correctly.

8 minutes ago, DestroyerNori13 said:

just those regular zombies. such a pointless enemy. 

Disagree here, enjoyed them :)

Maybe the Summoner, considering the Arch-Vile is making a comeback I don't know how they'll manage to use both of them effectively.

The Cherub. IMO the most godawful enemy design ever created, for any game (damn you Tim Willits)

14 minutes ago, geX said:

The Cherub. IMO the most godawful enemy design ever created, for any game (damn you Tim Willits)

I kinda liked it. 

I really wasn't fond of most of the new monsters from doom 3, the cherub, trite.

Edited by MrGlide

Those two rock elementals that looked like they had stepped out of World of Warcraft.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Maybe the Summoner, considering the Arch-Vile is making a comeback I don't know how they'll manage to use both of them effectively.

Archviles resurrecting Summoners summoning Archviles?

Edited by Urthar

6 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Better not.

Not exactly omitting anything, but I'd like to see the Possessed Soldiers have a rework. They were too tough in the early game but became too easy once you obtain the Super Shotgun.

Got to have summoners AND Arch Viles.  In fact I dont want to see any demon removed for Doom 5.  Or at the very least keep them in the map maker.

Cyberdemon might need a skin change since it was a unique monster.  Perhaps a Cyber Balgar instead?

1 hour ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I always took it as summoners replaced archviles due to engine limitations (no bodies remaining). I think it would be very painful to have both at the same time.

Always thought it's about fast gameplay. The Arch Vile forces you to hide alot, which slows down gameplay severely. I remember in Doom 2 you even had to run for cover to avoid his flame attack.

I liked all Doom 2016 monsters from a gameplay perspective, but I generally prefer the visual design of the Doom 3 demons.

I would like to see Doom 3 enemies in Eternal, although the likelihood of this is questionable. The pinky demon design, in both the classic games and Doom 2016, is great, but I really like the Doom 3 pinky demon. 

1 hour ago, Reaper8888 said:

I would like to see Doom 3 enemies in Eternal, although the likelihood of this is questionable. The pinky demon design, in both the classic games and Doom 2016, is great, but I really like the Doom 3 pinky demon. 

Could still add it as either a cyberpinky or a new monster completely.  Flesh Hound?

Keep all of them except the stupid possessed wielding riot energy shields. An annoying enemy that can sometimes one shot me and is a pain to fight. Sometimes their shield goes down quickly after being shot, sometimes it seems it just soaks up every single thing you throw at it. Just get rid of them.

Any sort of hit-scanning enemies. One of the changes from Classic DOOM to DOOM 2016 I definitely think was for the better is the complete removal of such enemies (except the Possessed Security, but even then they barely count since their shotgun blasts act more like extended melee attacks because the bullets literally collide against a surface or outright evaporate in the air after 3 meters or so resulting in you being completely safe at rather short distances between them even when you're in their lines of sight), since the only way you were going to avoid their attacks is if you either have incredibly quick reflexes, or you hide behind a wall, so they were more irritating more than anything. With their absence in DOOM 2016, you're allowed to be out in the open much more often as the enemies only use entirely dodge-able projectiles and melee attacks, making the combat flow much more nicely in that respect IMO.

Speaking of the which, not a specific enemy, but I hope the new Arch-Vile doesn't have that flame attack like in the classic games for similar reasons why I hate the hit-scanning foes (plus the classic Arch-Vile is even much much worse due to their durability, the meat shields created from resurrected enemies, and the sheer amount of damage said attack can do), but instead they have projectiles similar to their DOOM 3 incarnation or the Summoner.

On 6/22/2018 at 5:24 AM, Agent6 said:

Honestly, I think them showing Archie in the trailer(other than to stur hype) was to show that the summoner was gone since they were pracitcally the same enemy give or take a few features.

36 minutes ago, Michniko said:

Honestly, I think them showing Archie in the trailer(other than to stur hype) was to show that the summoner was gone since they were pracitcally the same enemy give or take a few features.

I was thinking about the same thing.

It doesn't need to be the same enemy if the Arch-Vile resurrects the dead, while the Summoner summons lower level demons and/or heals them.  Maybe the Arch-Vile can summon summoners as well!  I hope we get to battle that out.  Don't take it away from me!

Edited by Zemini

On 6/22/2018 at 8:35 AM, Urthar said:

I'm on board with this idea. 2016 wasn't hard enough.

Also:

Those two rock elementals that looked like they had stepped out of World of Warcraft.

This, arguably. Cool fight, but ridiculous. Keep those out.

Outside of the Boss enemies from Doom 2016 (for reasons already covered by others in this thread), I'm hard pressed to think of any single enemy from that game that I don't wish to see again.

I could live with the removal of the Shield Guys, however, annoying as they can be, I mostly didn't think of them as unfair and I'd rather see the mechanics surrounding them be improved upon instead of outright removing them. Like, make it possible to temporarily disable their shields if you deal enough punishment to them.

I'd also be fine with different Possessed Soldiers (wearing Earth-based armour, but still keep the Soldiers projectile based), as well as a different type of civilian Possessed as long as they feel consistent with the ones introduced in Doom 2016.

I'd be fine with replacing the Hell Razer with a Chaingun Commando, though with the minor caveat that I liked the Hell Razer's appearance and that it would feel odd if it was removed, unless it appears evolved into a different type of enemy that's still recognizable as a bigger, nastier Hell Razer.

I know I'd miss the Summoner if it is indeed omitted, even though the return of the Archvile is potentially quite awesome. I thought the Summoner made a great Archvile replacement and was a more versatile enemy than the classic Doom Archvile (certainly tasted a lot less of bullshit, while still being a good threat to overcome).

Hell Razer is pretty much a exact duplicate of the Possessed Soldier.  I would vote for a major change for him.  Probably would of been better to give teh Soldier a a real machine gun.

Get rid of all the red plasma projectile "zombies" and give us proper hitscan Zombiemen with actual guns, and Zombiepeople and Chaingunners.

I also made a WOW comparison when I first saw them. They were jarringly out of place with Doom's monster design tendencies.

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

Get rid of all the red plasma projectile "zombies" and give us proper hitscan Zombiemen with actual guns, and Zombiepeople and Chaingunners.

I second this.