Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

How to install ZDoomGL

To 'stem the flow' of n00b questions about ZDoomGL, I've decided to post a thread with step-by-step instructions for running ZDoomGL (Kokak's ZDoomGL v1.22, not the new one, whenever it comes out).

1) Firstly, you will need ZDoom v1.22, which can be downloaded here. Extract ZDoom to your Doom folder, and set it all up the way you want. If you already have a later version of ZDoom in your Doom folder, I find it a good idea to create a new folder for ZDoomGL (outside of your doom folder). If you decide to create a seperate ZDoomGL folder, remember to extract ZDoom v1.22 to that folder!

2) Now you will need ZDoomGL v0.66.2 itself. Download it here. Extract this into your Doom/ZDoomGL folder too.

3) Lastly, download the latest md2 packhere (4.63mb). If you already have a previous model pack installed in your Doom/ZDoomGL folder, delete it. The latest model pack uses a different folder structure than the old one/s (which had no folders at all :P). Extract the model pack into the ZDoomGL folder.

Before running ZDoomGL, make sure you have the "vid_defbits" setting in the zdoom.cfg file set to 16 or 32.

Now, to run ZDoomGL, go into DOS, or an equivalent (in WinXP/2000 for instance). Go to the Doom/ZDoomGL folder in DOS, and type one of the following lines, depending on what type of video card you have.

3dfx cards:
"ZDoomGL -3dfx -paltex"

Non-3dfx:
"ZDoomGL -paltex"

This should work, as long as you have a valid Doom IWAD in your ZDoomGL folder. If you don't, add " -iwad %path%\doom2.wad" (where %path% is your Doom folder's path.
If it still won't run, try deleting md2.ini, renaming the alternative ini file (in the latest md2 pack) to md2.ini, and run ZDoomGL again.

If it STILL won't run, please let me know (reply to this post), and I'll try my best to figure out how to fix the problem...

(oh, and no off-topic posts here please)

What does -paltex do?
If I'm playing ZDoomGL with a Geforce 4 AGP, shall I run ZDoomGL with the -paltex command than?

You could try it, but I think it screws up if you have mipmapping enabled. Running ZDoomGL on 32bit gives the same effect as -paltex on my Gf2 MX400...

I can get the game to work with reg .exe but when I run it under zdoomgl it loads fine but when I start a new game... I get an error message W_GETNUMFORNAME: STTMINUS NOT FOUND! Do you know what that means??? If you could help I would appreciate it. Thanks -flashburn

GuntherDW said:

i have 1.666 since i can't update it to 1.7a or 1.9
EVERY PATCH DOESN'T WORK! :(

I had that problem with Doom2, too. You have to patch the wad explicitly with the patch utility. I think it's "patch -file:doom2.wad" or something like that.

ok i followed the instructions but am still having problems...

When I run zdoomgl by double-clicking on the .exe file, or running it in Command Prompt with the "ZDoomGL -paltex" line (WindowsXP dos thingy) the Doom screen appears, but the colours are all green and pink and it looks like its a negative of what it should be.

The game itself won't get to the point where you can actually play it (you can't get the menu up by pressing escape)as it gets stuck on the Doom screen, with what looks like several loading command lines slowly appearing on screen, like the md2 files (sorry for the vague description of this, I don't know the technical term for this).
When it eventually crashes/quits i get a "zdoomgl.exe has encountered a serious problem..." box up (the usual XP box asking if u want 2 send error report to Microsoft) and the desktop has reset itself to 8bit colour and whatever screen resolution was being used in Doom (on desktop i use 1024x768, so i used that in Doom, but i also tried 512x384 in Doom which resulting in the desktop changing to this resolution after Doom quit/crashed.)

My PC spec is:

1ghz amd duron processor
ABIT KT7A MotherBoard
640mb ram
hercules 3D Prophet 4500 gfx card
WindowsXP OS

Probably don't need this but i'll include anyway:

Iiyama LA702UT, VisionMaster Pro 1411 Monitor
soundblaster Live! 1024 sound card

ZDoom itself works, but not ZDoomGL, whether i use the md2 models or not.
I'm using zdoom1.22 as specified, with zdoomgl 066 and the 066.2 patch, and the lights.ini file aswell.

I tried this port with Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom, but with same results.

If any more info is needed, let me know.

Any help would b very appreciated :)

Sounds like zdoomgl is trying to run in 8 bit mode. Open up the file "zdoom.cfg" in notepad or something and change the line "vid_defbits 8" to "vid_defbits 16" (or 32, if you want 32 bit color).

The in-development version of zdoomgl (based on ZDoom 2.0 pre13 code now) deals with the software bitdepth and OpenGL bitdepth seperately, so this problem has been fixed :)

Also, it looks like the md2s are not gonna decide to load on your machine :/ (hopefully when timmie gets around to md2 support they won't crash upon loading any more ;)). I'll add the 8/16bit thing to the installation instructions now...

I've got a couple of questions in relation to installing and setting up zdoomgl, firstly i was wondering if there's a way to put the savegames in a different folder or something to save me have zdoom installed however many times so i can have a full set of save's for each game. I was also wondering how to get tc's and the like to work, but I can't work out how to get 2 wad's to load properly, it either crash's with fatal error "W_GetNumForName: STCFN033 not found!" which i'm guessing is because it's only loading the TC's wad file and not doom2's wad file as well. Or ZdoomGL just loads up with standard doom2. Any help would be appreciated as I love doom but i don't have much hard drive space to be throwing around at the moment (300 megs free) Thanks for making doom so much cooler again and I can't wait for the next release. Goodwork all round by everyone involved.

RailGunner said:

it's zdoom.ini not zdoom.cfg

Uhhh. In ZDoom(GL) v1.22 it is. It was changed to zdoom.ini sometime during the v1.23 betas... ZDoomGL is based on 1.22, so it uses zdoom.cfg.

I tried to install ZDoomGl how you described but i dont get it to run.
it stopped with a error message like (ive got the german version of windows 2000)
can´t can´t read 0x0044dec to memory 0x.......

my configuration is a
athlon 1533 Mhz
Nvidia Tnt2
Windows 2000
DirectX 8.1

id be grateful for a suggestion

thanks

Heh, the new ZDoomGL should be out fairly soon, so just wait for that ;)

Try running it with the -nomd2 parameter if you haven't already.

i have problems playing zdoomgl - then i run the game, weapons r drawn in the center of screen, not in the buttom.. is there anything i can do with that?

i have PIII + GF 2MX 400 under Win2k

thanks

This is a quite common bug, and it's cause is still unknown :/

Download the model pack, the 3d hud weapons don't float in the air (although most of them look rather crappy :S)

Sephiroth said:

its too bad when i click the link i get a 404. new link or mirror please

Yep, my page is gone. I told Slayer about it 2 months before it went down though ;)

zdoom crashes at start. i have it all set up and everything is in the correct dir. it just crashes, i am useing the new lights.ini, could that have something to do with it

boris said:

Yep, my page is gone. I told Slayer about it 2 months before it went down though ;)

Hehe, oops, that kinda slipped my mind... :P

Sephiroth said:

zdoom crashes at start. i have it all set up and everything is in the correct dir. it just crashes, i am useing the new lights.ini, could that have something to do with it

Hmmm, have you tried it with the -nomd2 parameter? Also, try it with different IWADs...

Can anyone tell me where to get:

3) Next, the ZDoomGL v0.66.2 patch, here. Extract it into the Doom/ZDoomGL folder, and overwrite any existing files.

4) Next, get my latest lights.ini here, and extract it into the Doom/ZDoomGL folder.

from above, since the LINKS are knackered. :(

Cheers!! That works now.

One thing tho. If I try to execute zdoomgl (with or without the -paltex switch) it displays all the loading models in the console but bombs back to desktop afterwards.

After getting very pi$$ed off, I found that the game runs if the config file is set to load in 640x480. Then afterwards you can change it to the res you want. A bit annoying tho.

Well done on this mod tho!! It brought a tear to my eye playing! Ah memories!! lol

P.S. That corona effect is rubbish.

Yep - I did! :P

Any idea why zdoomgl crashes to desktop after loading all the models when set to 1600x1200x32?

If you load the game in a lower res, you can set it to 1600x1200 from the menu, so I know it works. Got the spec of my pc if interested.

That's a known bug in v0.66.2. If it bothers you that much, get 0.7, but 0.7 doesn't have md2 or dynamic lighting support yet though...

I have ran this think Befor about a month or 2 ago. When I start it it loads like normal, The screen flickers a bit, in a couple of seconds the menu shows up, looks like the blurred type in OPENGL and when I start the first level there is no special lighting, no MD2 3D models, none at all, no special reflecting our flares. I mean come on, I just got a realy nice PC and wanted to shoot up some IMP's!!

SPECS:
Gforce 4 MX 420
1.2GHZ Compaq WINXP HOME
256MB RAM
120 GB hard Drive

PLEASE HELP!!!
Wintergunner@msn.com

I will keep in touch with this form!