Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

Doom Expanded vs Smooth Doom

Which one do you prefer for eye candy? Are they compatible with each other, or has any effort been made by their creators to make them cross-compatible or at least combinable with no conflicts? I've played Doom Expanded and I was very happy with it, and only just now saw a trailer for Smooth Doom, so I'm asking :P

I also heard about something called Beautiful Doom and someting like "Particle Enhancer" or something. So overall, which would you recommend for regular play? 

Edited by Xfing

Doom Expanded saw its last update five years ago. Particle Enhancer is an even older mod that has never reached version 1.0, it's also pretty stressful on older hardware. Both Smooth Doom and Beautiful Doom are stable and regularly updated. The best way to decide on which mod will work better for you is to, actually, try those for yourself.

Soooo, tried both mods and I gotta say Beautiful Doom is better, at least in the death sprite department. The variety is staggering. I wish there were a way to toggle between traditional explosions and the new ones, though. Smooth Doom is better for its simplicity and predictability and more focused though - I'd probably go with it if it had more alternative death sequences like those that DE and BD have.

Edited by Xfing

Personally I'd try to fuse some mods with SLADE or just load them together, I myself have made a mod that combines a few and fixes up bugs from them. EDIT: Noticed you said you'd like death sequences and stuff, that's actually the reason I made mine, I could share the link if you want.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:49 AM, ModdedT said:

Personally I'd try to fuse some mods with SLADE or just load them together, I myself have made a mod that combines a few and fixes up bugs from them. EDIT: Noticed you said you'd like death sequences and stuff, that's actually the reason I made mine, I could share the link if you want.

Well, the more the better! BD has some that SD doesn't have and vice versa. If yours has all of them, then it'd be my preferred way of playing :P

On 6/25/2018 at 12:49 AM, ModdedT said:

I'd be very grateful too if fusing beautiful and smooth is so simple. 

3 hours ago, Pirx said:

I'd be very grateful too if fusing beautiful and smooth is so simple. 

I also wish so, Beautiful is part game play mod, which is why it's so hard to fuse.

BD and SD both have their advocates. Personally I prefer BD as I like the balance touch-ups to the original arsenal (though I actually normally play megawads with Argent, The Brutal 20c fork, and The Trailblazer anyway [which goes from balanced to OP in that order depending on my mood]). If you do like cool death animations, don't forget to pick up something like Universal Gibs as well, and as maligned as it is generally, Brutal Doom.

Fusing BD and SD is a logistical nightmare though due to how each of them modifies the same things in different ways. I'm sure a skilled modder might be able to do it, but its not a quick SLADE job, for sure, looking at the scripts and pk3's.

Well I'd be happy just with basic Smooth Doom + more Pinky and Baron death anims, like those from Expanded. I know Gifty likes the pure ID style the most, but I'd say most of those sprites fit in just fine.