Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

Interesting New Preview of Doom 3

Yep, another Doom III preview has been written. The author of this one is Thomas Monk of accelenation.com. The preview spans five pages, and while the contents are rather scarce on the gameplay side, there is a lot of tech talk. One interesting thing that the author mentions is his belief that a Doom III test will be released early next year:

"I for one will be paying close attention to shadowing when JC releases the Doom III test ""early next year"". However he will probably be more concerned with pinning down serious rendering glitches, than debating the aesthetic qualities of volumetric shadows."

The link to the site is:
http://accelenation.com/?ac.id.177.1

hey kickass article, thanks doomedout

oh oh, extra points, I think that screen shot of Doom is E1M3!

I think the birdman in that screenshot looked kick ass, in fact relative to all the other demons, it looks by far the most demonic and intimidating. If one watched the legacy video, the way it interacts with the environment is nothing short of sweet, and the way it walks is awesome too.
I hope we see this demon in the real thing.

Hell NO, birdman is way too small to be baron, isn't baron supposed to be more larger and tougher than hell knight? I don't think its the baron, although it does have horns that look similar.

doomedout said:

Hell NO, birdman is way too small to be baron,

It might be, but we haven't seen it in comparison with the marine yet. It might be a lot taller than you think.

The "birdman" looks wimpy in comparison with the Hell Knight - that's reason enough for me to dismiss it as being the Baron of Hell.
Also, the PC Gamer magazine vaguely revealed that the Baron was still being designed, which I'm ready to believe.

If this weakling of a demon turns out to be the new Baron, I'll shoot myself, because it has barely any of the traits that the old Baron had.
- The old Baron looked big and powerful, this thing doesn't
- The old Baron had a very goatish face, this thing doesn't and don't give me that crap about the new Hell Knight not looking goat-like, because the old Hell Knight was "invented" after the Baron and it's thus less important to have the new Hell Knight be similar to the old one.
- The old Baron had furry legs and hooves, this thing doesn't.

/Me awaits the counter attack.

Counter attack... not quite, all those points are valid, but I dunno. The birdman looks like he could be tall enough, but he doesnt look beefy enough.

Actually, looking back, I think the birdman is gonna be (not spoiling this for anyone, I know some people are real picky) that monster that was in the def file below the baron. You know which one I mean Shav.

AirRaid said:

Counter attack... not quite, all those points are valid, but I dunno. The birdman looks like he could be tall enough, but he doesnt look beefy enough.

Actually, looking back, I think the birdman is gonna be (not spoiling this for anyone, I know some people are real picky) that monster that was in the def file below the baron. You know which one I mean Shav.

Yeah. I think he is the new 'hell knight'.

I think people should remember that Doom3 is not a rehash, but a retelling. The hell-knight is not the littlebrother of the BOH anymore. I'd rather have Birdman as the new BOH, than a large pain-in-the-ass monster.

Shaviro said:

I think people should remember that Doom3 is not a rehash, but a retelling. The hell-knight is not the littlebrother of the BOH anymore. I'd rather have Birdman as the new BOH, than a large pain-in-the-ass monster.

If the Hell Knight is not inferior to the Baron, people like me would get extremely angry. Doom 3 may be a retelling, but it's still a Doom game and the monster hierarchy had better reflect this. So far, I'm pleased with the monsters because they seem to have the same feel as the old one - what would happen if the new Baron turned out to be a weakling? It would lose all the feel that the original had and that would SUCK.

I can't believe you guys.

i agree with dsm here. The Baron better be able to smoke the Hell Knight or this game will go down another notch...like when i found out there's no status bar or face indicator. damn i may be a nostalgic whore but i love my Doom and that's that.

Shaviro said:

Yeah. I think he is the new 'hell knight'.

No you fool. Theres a monster in there seperate from the Baron and the Hell Knight... I reckon it's that. I'm with DSM on the Baron vs HK thing - I wanna see a big badassed baron.

Just think about the name... Baron of Hell. You're definitely going to need considerable firepower to put one out of its misery.

dsm said:

If the Hell Knight is not inferior to the Baron, people like me would get extremely angry. Doom 3 may be a retelling, but it's still a Doom game and the monster hierarchy had better reflect this. So far, I'm pleased with the monsters because they seem to have the same feel as the old one - what would happen if the new Baron turned out to be a weakling? It would lose all the feel that the original had and that would SUCK.

I can't believe you guys.

how can you tell it's a weakling from a video?

Shaviro said:

how can you tell it's a weakling from a video?

Because it looks like one period - a Baron should look badass. It should be so that it really inspires fear and awe at the same time (like the old one did) - this pathetic imp lookalike isn't very scary compared to how I envision the Baron.

End of story.

End of story for you maybe.
I find none of the enemies from the old videos impressing at all. Not in those videos, but if you have a close encounter with them in the game itself, I get really scared. Imagine seeing Birdman, from up close, growling at you, and running towards your direction. I bet it's gonna be scary as hell, literally. I am very satisfied with the Demons so far. I just LOVE the way the Imp leaps at you, it's beautiful.

Uhhh guys as far as birdman is concerned, out of all the demons, IT looks the most KICKASS IMO...I mean seriously ID unleashed a truly demonic looking birdman, and they must incorporate it into the game.
Having said that NO I DO NOT WANT THE BIRDMAN TO BE BOH, in fact DSM is right, its physique is too weak. I would prefer it to be down in the peking order, below hell knight. But it still looks KICKASS.
What did u think of the article.
Test is coming out early next year...HEHEHEHEHH

doomedout said:

in fact DSM is right, its physique is too weak. I would prefer it to be down in the peking order, below hell knight.

How can you tell? You guys haven't seen it standing next to the Hellknight.

Of course birdman isn't the Baron, have you guys ever stopped to consider that it might just be a new monster? *gasp*

BigBadGangsta said:

Of course birdman isn't the Baron, have you guys ever stopped to consider that it might just be a new monster? *gasp*

Or one that won't even be used.

I really can't forget birdman.wad each time that is mentioned, with all those ripped Hexen and Heretic texture patches and the vast yet boring maps. Who knows, maybe Birdman is up to something better nowadays.

This article is pretty cool. I have issue with one part, though.

He talks about how maybe Doom 3 will split 3D accelerators into two separate camps - one for gaming and one for CAD-like 3D work. Uh, hello?! That happened when the first Voodoo Graphics card came out. He needs to do a bit more research on graphics hardware.

CHECK THIS SITE OUT NOW
http://www.optd.tk/
its new to me, has alot of interesting shit.
Operation : Takedown is a Single-Player modification for the upcoming and eagerly anticipated game, Doom III. As a Special Forces squad leader, you are immediately drawn into the ever-threatening world of terrorism. OpTD gives you a taste for real action; unlike other unrealistic action games that can allow for mid-air, gun-toting, rambo-style headshot killing sprees, OpTD focuses much more on gun and human physics, simulating the real action that today's elite counter-terrorist operatives face.

OpTD will feature :

- over 20 powerful weapons to choose from, including the HK-Mp5k and PSG-1
- maps range from the vast expanses of Neva to the bustling city life of Tokyo
- intense Single-Player gameplay driven by an immersive storyline
- ultra-realism; no HUD to rely on, various damage points, realistic stamina

OpTD is a revival of an old mod originally designed for Half-Life, and a few team members are still loyal to the project, which was designed in early 1999. Utilising the amazingly powerful Doom III engine, OpTD will be able to render beautiful maps and models and provide hours of realistic counter-terrorist action.

can news get any better?
GOTTA UPGRADE PC NOW!!!!!!

wow. People are already malking crap terrorist mods for it. How about...TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT JUST FOR ONCE?

Dismissing it already eh? Don't forget its going to have the doom3 engine...that sounds sweet.
But the whole terrorist, counter-terrorist thing is so cliche now.
They should come out with a game that involves role playing and team work similar to team fortress and RTCW, but like with new innovations. That, with the best engine in the industry will undoubtedly leave alot of jaws hanging and pockets getting empty.

What are they doing to develop the thing? Tooling around with the beta? Or just hashing stuff out on paper?

Shaviro said:

I'm just sick of the terrorist mods. Do people lack imagination or what?

I second the first sentence. And yes, people lack a shitload of imagination - they just think: Counter Strike = Cool, let's make a CS ripoff.

That article is full of bullshit. The "soft shadows" in the videos are nothing but projected .tga's. There's no shadow mapping in Doom.

Zaldron said:

That article is full of bullshit.

So are you.

"I'll have the boss ready next week" my ass.