Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

And after a couple of weeks, GooberMan uploads a new tech demo

Download for the latest tech demo. Because I couldn't get any art for a Keen game, I shifted focus to a Warhammer 40000 game. Which managed to get a couple of other people interested in the project. I've done all the coding so far and the currently playable map, and the art was done by someone else. You can now run around the map as a Space Marine. Yeah, there's a few bugs in there, but hey, I started work on the engine 4 weeks ago to the day, so it's not too bad for the amount of time I've spent on it. Leave comments here as usual.

EDIT: heh, controls... arrow keys do the usual, shift enables run, space is jump. F12 brings up the console, "quit" at the console does just that.

You're right, not too bad at all. The clipping isn't all that it should be and there appears to be a lot of texture artifacting in the distance (how about trilinear filtering ?), but overall I'd say it's pretty neat.

It is pretty slow, though - about 15-20fps on my Pentium III 900Mhz with 256MB RAM a GeForce4 ti4200 64MB.

Hmm ran pretty dang fast on mine, really well for a matter of fact, and my puter is a hunk of junk, a heaping pile. Exelent work GooberMan!!

Lord FlatHead said:

It is pretty slow, though - about 15-20fps on my Pentium III 900Mhz with 256MB RAM a GeForce4 ti4200 64MB.

Weirdness, I can pull 60fps+ on a PIII 733mhz GF2MX... 640x480 resolution if that makes any difference... if not, I'm not quite sure what would be causing that.

I am getting around the same FPS as Flathead...weird.

P4 2GHz
256MB RAM
GF2MX400 64MB

Hrm, it's fullscreen @ 640x480...weird. Oh well...I didn't really notice anyhow :P

Level editor = teh ultimate in balls. It doesn't account for user stupidity at all (it was written in about 4 days and the code is an absolute fucking mess), and you need to make it your bitch to get it to do anything. In other words, no editor.

And I'm not really sure why it runs better on lower end systems than those. Quite weird, I shall have to look in to it after end of year presentation (I'll probably be rewriting from scratch after that anyway, so I can do it right from the start)

GooberMan said:

Because I couldn't get any art for a Keen game...

http://www.thisstrife.com/sluggy/ Check the archives, I can get you into contact with the artist.

I can't get it to run.

I got this:

475mhz
256mb ram
geforce2 64mb video
a shtty hardrive (6gb) (soon to change to 20gb)

Hope that helps.

Trasher: yeah, that's not 3D artwork though... I've posted requests on the Public Commander Keen Forums for help in the art department and haven't gotten any yet, so for now the Keen game has been delayed.

ravage: Do you have DirectX 8.1 and compatible drivers installed?