Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Eternal is a game, that exists

13 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

Id had to send programmers to fix the net code, and it's still way below the level of Q3A's net code and Q3A is a 18 year old game.

I get so pissed off when my shots literally don't register in QC.

RAGE 2 uses Apex not just because that engine is better suited to open worlds, but also that Avalanche is doing the majority of the games development, Id mostly has supervisory and support roles. It was probably much easier for Avalanche to use their own engine rather than trying to use id Tech.

As for Quake Champions, I remember seeing somewhere that Tim Willits said that the parts of Id Tech in the game are actually from an older iteration of the engine (presumably id Tech 3) and are just used to try and replicate Q3A's movement, the rest of the engine's code is Saber's own stuff. They probably didn't want to bother with Id Tech much with that game because the team at Id working on QC is rather small and having a third-party company with their own manpower that can alter their own established engine to the game's needs probably allows for faster development that they otherwise couldn't achieve.

Edited by chemo

9 hours ago, Shaviro said:

I think a lot of people today seem to be under the impression that a game engine is something that can only be made by Carmack and 3 other guys - and the more games use this engine, the better the engine. Like they're some sort of sacred, mystical and magical piece of technology dreamt up by only the best of the best computer scientists. Yes, the technology that goes into a game engine gets really complicated in many places and there is a fuckload of problems and caveats no matter which road you pursue. That said, information, research, tools, knowledge and experience is SO much more accessible today and there are much more different viable paths you can go with an engine and sacrifice a little performance for features, development speed or anything else you have in mind.

Id Tech 6 was built and optimized for Doom 2016. It isn't a general purpose engine and that allows for a much more narrow focus. It does what it does extremely well. RAGE 2 is a completely different beast and uses an engine that was most likely built for that sort of game.

Carmack is a genius, and given that an engine (mostly netcode (Q3A)) he wrote 18 years ago still can't be beat by a modern engine(QC), I'd say he did pretty well.

2 hours ago, MrGlide said:

I get so pissed off when my shots literally don't register in QC.

Lol yea or getting railed around a corner.

The Q3A engine is super slick, agreed. 

I wonder what's gonna happen to QLive once QC is out though. Is id planning to keep supporting both games, or will they force a transition to QC? I'd kinda like to try the latter out, but I did buy QL on Steam and all, so it would feel a bit weird.

5 hours ago, Xfing said:

or will they force a transition to QC?

this is speculation, but I think thats what they where prepping up for with making Quake live cost money. lucky me I played it before the price hike.

I'm still a bit annoyed that they dropped Mac support in addition to forcing payment. It was a double "fuck you" for players like me.

Quake Live is as good as dead, they deemed it a failure when they put it on Steam.  They've fucked Quake Champions by allowing Saber to have anything to do with it.  There's still problems with the game.  Hitreg is off again in the new patch, and there's still unresolved problems that have been there since EA launch—especially with this gaming generation.  They play the game and crash, or whatever, then rage on the forums about it.  It's already bad enough when the majority of noobs that got the game during the two free weeks would claim cheaters when they lost, it's even worse if you make them wait forever in queue to join a game.

And in the dev stream the two ID employees look tired, probably from trying to fix all the shit.  Who knows.

I really just face palm thinking about ID allowing console developers to touch their games: Doom's MP and QC.

They're completely inept. 

I'm still playing the hell out of QC, but it's ridiculous.  There's nothing like beating the shit out of someone in a duel and them raging because they can't handle losing, so they'll talk shit and blame you for their insecurities..  It's glorious.  In some kind of fucked way, it reveals much about human nature.

At least we still have Q2/Q3A still kicking and open source.  The communities are still fragging and the servers are always a good time.

Edited by Flesh420

I'm enjoying QC, but the latest patch has me confused about the games balance. the Lighting gun didn't need a buff, and keel needs to be toned down a bit. a bunch of champions got overbuffed imo. Y a, nothing like going for a good ol dual, then last match to have someone tell me to kill myself. lol.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, GoatLord said:

I'm still a bit annoyed that they dropped Mac support in addition to forcing payment. It was a double "fuck you" for players like me.

Not to mention the browser version and Linux...

On 6/11/2018 at 4:50 AM, Marcaek said:

"This game is NOTHING like the original Eternal Doom, Id fucked up!"

2nd that.THIS one is forever:

et3logo.jpg

(TEAM TNT's ETERNAL DOOM)

The other one will as quickly be forgotten as 
'Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.'