Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

FPS Playback Demo Site

I had resisted posting this shameless self-promotion, but it is tangentially relevant; and perhaps someone somewhere is actually interested in the content...

I decided to start this site because so many demosites have disappeared in the last 5 years.

Cheers.

http://opulentdemos.us/ofda/ofda.htm

There's too much here to go through in a lifetime, but, awesome. Cheers to preservation efforts o/

Thanks guys.

And Adam, I always thought you and NC were the two most underrated players.   I guess that is a bit subjective... but certainly the demos speak for themselves.

Cheers.

For historical preservation it might actually be interesting to see if you could get something like archive.org to hold a collection of these. At least from QW onwards it's kinda the early prehistory of modern esports, so really should be preserved professionally somehow.

I lost all my old Doom and Quake stuff in a hard disk erasure accident in 2004, sadly...

20 hours ago, AdamW said:

For historical preservation it might actually be interesting to see if you could get something like archive.org to hold a collection of these. At least from QW onwards it's kinda the early prehistory of modern esports, so really should be preserved professionally somehow.

I lost all my old Doom and Quake stuff in a hard disk erasure accident in 2004, sadly...

I think it's possible, maybe @Opulent should see this.

Alternatively, IFPS might also be great.

Edited by mun

4 hours ago, AdamW said:

BTW, opulent, does your site include all the demos that can be found at http://www.doom2.net/history/history.html ? There's some neat stuff there.

No, it doesn't.  I don't wish to step on Bahdko's toes either.  Her awesome site has been one of the very best internet sites for decades.  I don't wish to undermine her efforts.

As I say on my site, what's posted is only top quality demos... and is about 1/50th of all the FPS demos I have.  

Now that a lot of time has passed, there is a fair portion that isn't online anymore... but I held little magic in obtaining most of these.  Someone else offered most of them online at one time or another....  There is, of course, a small percentage that were obtained by less than publicly accessible means.

Oh, I see. I guess I figured it'd be most useful just to have as many demos as possible in one place, rather than people having to find different stashes of them around the place...

19 hours ago, Opulent said:

No, it doesn't.  I don't wish to step on Bahdko's toes either.  Her awesome site has been one of the very best internet sites for decades.  I don't wish to undermine her efforts.

I don't think archiving those demos would be undermining her efforts, it's just safekeeping.

I admire your zeal for demos, gentlemen.  You know I do.  But there isn't enough interest in FPS demos to warrant any action.  Outside of DOOM, there isn't a single game that has an active replay community that counts.(excluding the RTS games, which are mostly CJK-based)  Well..., to my knowledge anyway.