Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apaul27

Any bad games/mods you want to put in defense?

Although I didn't play any bad games, or mods, but what are you going to defend, and why?

Pit Fighter and Guardians of the Hood are both pretty fun if you go into them with the right mindset. I usually don't care for drinking when I'm playing video games, but a bit of booze helps with these two.

Edited by Ajora

This is going to be an interesting thread. 

I'll defend Daikatana. Sure, it's pretty crappy and has a terrible first episode, but it's alright by the second. If you go in not expecting much, you can find some stupid fun in there. I played and finished it twice. If John Romero hired better programmers and didn't hype the game up so much, it would've been at least decent. 

Duke Nukem Forever is a great game, but just came out at the wrong time. It would have been way better received if it came out years before it actually did. I love it and will always defend it.

Blood II: The Chosen, it's a dumb fun run-n-gun shooter with the same dark humor, gore and the lovable Caleb as the original. It just also happens to be rushed in time for Halloween by the-then GT, resulting in what could've been a decent game into an atrocious one.

14 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Blood II: The Chosen, it's a dumb fun run-n-gun shooter with the same dark humor, gore and the lovable Caleb as the original. It just also happens to be rushed in time for Halloween by the-then GT, resulting in what could've been a decent game into an atrocious one.

I've played the demo of Blood 2 before. While I loved Caleb's new quotes and his dark humorous persona, and some cool features here and there, the difficulty balancing is horrifying. And I wished some of the weapons weren't shitty to use. 

5 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Blood 2 had a unique, great soundtrack also.

I thought it was great also. Not as ambient or full of dread as original Blood, but fits well.  

Witchaven / Witchaven II.  Buggy (game breakingly so in many ways for the second one) and the first one had some pretty questionable level designs, but there was something good trying to shine through under there.

Hesperian Wars and Rival Realms both suffered a double whammy of being seen as two-bit Warcraft II clones and being unable to run without problems on anything beyond the Windows 9x series, but each had some interesting aspects.

Castle of Dragon for the NES.  Could've been better, but trashed excessively by people who don't know how to play it effectively.  (Which is a bit of a running theme with "bad" NES games in many cases...)

I already mentioned Daemon Vector in another recent thread.  It may have been a bit basic compared to its contemporaries and badly translated, but it wasn't really bad beyond that.

Contra Force happens to be one of the only "bad" games I've played (since I prefer avoiding them altogether) that I actually find one of the best.

It's usually seen as the worst in the series due to deviating drastically from the already established formula and suffering from various technical issues, such as random texture flickering and slowdowns, but hey, you can exploit these slowdowns to your advantage so I really don't mind them, and the flickering isn't too bad either. I find that game solid as it is, similar or not to its predecessors.

Does a amateur early access game count? I feel like I'm doing a disservice mentioning this game on this thread but it's very rough with some very questional design choices.

The game is called Witch Hunt. Personally I quite enjoyed it despite some terrible frustrations.

Edited by Chezza

I will mainly talk about 2 reboots.

The first is Thief. I definitely had fun playing it, stealthing around, exploring the city and the asylum level was great and very spooky. It may be one of the worst Thiefs out there, if not the worst, but as a game it is not that bad. The ending was kinda meh though and unfortunately the great sound system of the original games was gone.

The second is the Devil May Cry reboot. This is also one of the worst DMC games, contesting with DMC 2 for last place imo, but as a game it can be really fun. The combat isn't necessarily bad (felt pretty smooth to me, while I felt combat in other DMCs is more precise), you have a reworked story and cool weapons. Unfortunately, Dante is a hipster and Vergil doesn't seem like the honorable Vergil he was in previous games.

Then I also played Watch Dogs. I mean, it is a fun sandbox. The only problems for me are the driving being kinda weird (you drive with the motorcycle, crashing on the bus stop and tear it apart, without falling from the bike and without damaging the bike...) and the story was a typical revenge plot, so not all that interesting.

For games, I'd defend Halo 5. It's actually an okay game.

For mods, I'd defend nuts.wad because it is a useful benchmark to test the quality of my hardware. Ryzen 5 1600 and it still lags.

18 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

For games, I'd defend Halo 5. It's actually an okay game.

For mods, I'd defend nuts.wad because it is a useful benchmark to test the quality of my hardware. Ryzen 5 1600 and it still lags.

yeah ya know, halo 5, i hated it at launch, but now the online runs 4k60fps and its smooth as silk, the competitive multi is awesome.

It's not a game, but I'll defend the movie Batman and Robin.

An absolutely campy, corny as hell action movie where everyone makes the dumbest dad-joke style puns with Schwarzenegger making the dumbest ones of all with some wooden acting, even from some otherwise respected actors.

And yet it is more entertaining than most crap out there today. I can honestly say I'd rather watch it than half the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies that, yes they are all pretty well made, but they are so cookie cutter and generic. Plus the set designs and the city are great, its this abstract art deco style that just looks really really cool. It's also more entertaining than the DC movies coming out currently (though I haven't watched Wonder Woman to know if its more entertaining than that).

So many people crap on it and call it the worst super hero/comic book movie and yet its more fun than most everything else.

My pick is the Gamecube version of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. The game itself is pretty braindead: hack and slash (or shoot) your way through thousands of cookie cutter enemies and maybe visit a few optional side areas. Collect crystals, golden animal parts and runestones to unlock new areas with reskins of the same damn enemies. Shoot gigantic bosses until they drop dead and relinquish their part of a portal to the final boss. Repeat with the seven other characters (plus bonus ones) that don't really play all that differently from each other. Gauntlet is mediocre when solo, but man the few times I've played this with others is stupidly dumb fun. The following gripes I have are mostly directed at this port.

• The item inventory. Unlike the arcade, DC and PS2 versions, the GC and Xbox versions allow you to store items for later use instead of instantly using them. That's all well and good and frankly makes the game a lot less difficult when you can employ each item to its greatest effect. But there are so many bugs involved with it. A major one is that the 10th item in your inventory is always bugged and never accessible; woe is you if it happens to be a powerful item like the 3-way shot or x-ray glasses. The in-game trader is seemingly random in which items can be sold, and the sell price doesn't scale with the amount sold, so grinding early levels for items to sell doesn't work. I really wish the game had the unfucked inventory system from the N64 incarnation of the earlier Gauntlet Legends. It also makes me shake my head when I watch a playthrough and see the players not even realize their items are inactive.
  • The melee system. It's a really simple thing, just move the character towards an enemy to hack and slash. Or you can spice it up by tapping the quick and strong attack buttons in short sequence for a knockdown, AoE sweep or a power strike. Pretty ameboid compared to DMC, Ninja Gaiden or Dynasty Warriors.
  • The UI is a bit janky. Earlier copies of the game don't show the life bar of the bigger enemies including bosses. Sure, you can just keep hitting and shooting until they fall, but it still helps to know how much health is left and how much more to deplete it. The inventory only tells you if you have an item and if it is on/off, it doesn't tell you how much of an item is left so you hope it doesn't run out at a critical time. Finally, when loading in a character, you have to re-activate each item in your inventory so that it shows up in the UI. I guess that last bit is the reason most people don't realize they have items.
  • Hint scrolls. Some are pretty helpful later on for runestones and a few switch puzzles, but I sure as hell won't touch them when there's a chance it might hardlock the game.
  • Later levels can take up to a half hour without any autosave in sight. Combined with the tedium of clearing away the hordes of cloned enemies, it makes for a slog that makes me give up on the game.

And yet, even with all the complaints I have of the game, I still have some fun playing it. I still have a Dolphin installation set up for this game only, complete with higher resolution, widescreen view and improved framerate. I want to make a longplay of this game and add optional annotations (can you add annotations to youtube videos anymore?) and get as many views as I have thumbs.

35 minutes ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

And yet, even with all the complaints I have of the game, I still have some fun playing it. I still have a Dolphin installation set up for this game only, complete with higher resolution, widescreen view and improved framerate. I want to make a longplay of this game and add optional annotations (can you add annotations to youtube videos anymore?) and get as many views as I have thumbs.

I approve! Though if the GC version is so janky and broken would it not be worth pursuing one of the other, more stable ports of the game? All complaints I understand, though I had the PS2 version so some of the complaints are one's I've not fully experienced. I do get the vibe the QA on that game was limited and also feel like most gameplay tests they did were done multiplayer, as sometimes singleplayer just feels off. Still, glad to see a fellow gamer enjoy that title.

Now, what were your thoughts on the 2014 Gauntlet game? I feel that while the game is great (It's one of the few games I've managed to get my fiancee to play with me, heh) it was WAYYYY too short. The gameplay itself felt a little on the uninspired side - since it was already deviating from the classic gauntlet formula they could have deviated further and created more interesting setpieces and scenarios.

i have to admit, i don't... hate Shadow the Hedgehog. it is not a good game by any means, with the story being a perfect example of edgy cringe that's meant to appeal to teenagers, but doesn't make a lot of sense with what it sets out to do, the controls being really slippery, which isn't accommodating Shadow's high speeds very well, and the mission-based gameplay being flawed as well. 

but i can't hate the game, because it can still be fun to play. the gun-based gameplay makes the enemies having health bars make a lot more sense than the mess that was in Sonic Heroes, some of the unlockable guns are kind of fun to play around with, and the music isn't terrible. really, it's not an absolute disaster of a game, as it's fairly playable to me, and when people say it's a worse game than Sonic 06, i just kind of shrug my head off, as that game is far more of a technical disaster than Shadow is, and the story is just as bad for different reasons.

i suppose people are just nostalgic for crappy Sonic games. :P

3 hours ago, LobsterBoy said:

I'm here because we have no control where we will end up.

There are two major variables in life: things you can't control and things you can.

You can't really control whether you'll like a specific video game.

You can control whether you play it.

You can also control whether you decide to join a forum about said video game.

So you're here why if you think video games are a detriment to society?

Ever since that new Friday The 13th game came out, I been hearing nothing but bad things about the original NES game and of course AVGN did a vid on it.  Personally I like that game a lot.  And it's not that I'm biased over it due to me being a huge Friday The 13th movie fan and my real first name being Jason, it's just I like the game as a quick time waster because it's a solid game and it can be completed rather quick. 

There's a single room in Aliens Colonial Marines, bathed in crimson where you're faced with a single sneaky alien which actually makes the overall mediocre to cringy experience worth it. Doesn't ake all that long to play through but truly worthy of the license.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:34 AM, Agent6 said:

Contra Force happens to be one of the only "bad" games I've played (since I prefer avoiding them altogether) that I actually find one of the best.

It's usually seen as the worst in the series due to deviating drastically from the already established formula and suffering from various technical issues, such as random texture flickering and slowdowns, but hey, you can exploit these slowdowns to your advantage so I really don't mind them, and the flickering isn't too bad either. I find that game solid as it is, similar or not to its predecessors.

Mate.....that's one hell of a game from my childhood. I still remember that game, especially the first 2 levels.....good times

Redneck Rampage has good levels designed by the talented Sverre Kvernmo of Doom fame, buried under an otherwise mediocre shooting game with a central theme that practically damns itself to a joke game.

Only thing that comes to mind right away would be Battle Squadron. It's a game published by Electronic Arts... I know what you're thinking, probably an MTX platform made to look like a video game, but this vertical scrolling shmup was released in 1989 for the amiga and got ported to Sega Genesis in 1990. So it predates all these diseases that would turn EA into the company it is nowadays.

I stumbled upon this game when I was looking for really old shmups some years ago, and the reviews that I found of it didn't quite seem to indicate that the game was "good", but I tried it anyways, and I really didn't feel like it was that bad. If anything, its greatest downside was that it only ever had one ingame MIDI playing a very repetitive kind of tune (the genesis version does that), but other than that I liked playing that game for a while before moving on to other shmups of roughly the same era.

If you have a chance to try that game, and you like old shmups, maybe it's something you enjoy.