Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Does jumping/crouching help during fights?

What kind of use does jumping/crouching have in combat? Do you rely on these features to dodge fireballs, maneuver around the monsters, etc?

it helps a lot and makes fighting much easier than in classic, example:

-if you are stuck against a corner by monsters firing aimed shots at you, it is possible to crouch under, or misdirect shot into the air and then run under them.

-you can crouch under objects that would be too short in vanilla to avoid hitscanners,

-you can jump and then crouch to lead homing projectiles into the ground (i have fight some DECORATE bosses with homing attack that require this to dodge, because turning and forward speed max is too high to outrun or sidestep)

If your port lets you  jump high enough, you can jump over pinkies and even surf on them so they can't box you in. Jumping obviously  helps getting stuff that is harder to reach. As for ducking under a projectile... I guess it works, it's useful in duke3d for example, but I'm more used to just strafing.

I think you can dodge Revenant's rockets by crouching in the right moment lol

If you're using ZDoom or any of it's child ports you can hold down your jump key and bounce on actors (including monsters), you can easily gain serious speed using this, especially on levels crowded with monsters lol.

You can avoid extra damage on fights that take place on damaging floor by keeping jumping, not to mention on zdoom ports if you jump on the right enemies from an elevated height, you can jump and land above the enemy and monster surf on huge crowds... so yeah, it can help a lot on fights

I find jumping very useful when there's a multi-level area during a fight. Hop between levels to avoid projectiles :D

I found that crouching makes you nearly invulnerable to revenant rockets, even the homing ones. Everytime I've crouched, I have never been hit. heh

As for jumping, I don't really use it tbh

Crouching really helps to avoid enemy projectiles to the point that i've seen many folks abuse it in coop, just crouch, move around and keep firing at waves and waves of enemies that uses projectiles 'till the end of time, jumping works best when you are cornered by a massive wave of pinkies and you for whatever reason don't want to fight them, just jump avobe one and surf trough the rest.

There is no bunnyhopping in DOOM and - as someone else said a long time ago: A hero does not crouch.

You must be talking about some other game, But not about DOOM.

Crouching makes hitscanners way worse at hitting you, a good middle finger to chaingunner snipers. It also renders you practically invulnerable to elevated monsters be it higher or lower than you. You get to also hide behind short ledges and turn stairs into walls on demand. Bonus cool points for crouching past a closing door with a million projectile hitting the door afterwards.  

Jumping allows bunny hopping and rocket jumping to skip entire areas or even get into cheese spots used for decoration in otherwise vanilla maps.  Not to mention going turbo makes it practically impossible for projectile enemies to hit you, even revenants. Not to mention the all powerful invulnerability sphere giving extreme mobility with the rocket launcher.

With both enabled you can just alternate jump and crouch vs monsters and never get hit when timed correctly unless there is an army of them. Most decorations do nothing anymore to block the player and open maps turn into cheesing glory with multiple players and friendly fire off. (The reason many wads disable rocket jumping off ally projectiles)