Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

Doom challenge: Shotgun only speedrun

I've been considering to set myself my own Doom speedrun, with the only weapon being used is the shotgun. 

Any thoughts? Advice? 

Actually many levels can be done by this. If Shotgun only means regular Shotgun only, this would be a long run...

It seems TNT Map31 could be done.

13 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

My advice would be pointing the shotgun at stuff you need to kill, and only kill what you really have to kill.

Yeah, that is good advice. I plan on using the shotgun exclusively, without using other weapons except for barrels and monster infighting. On my test runs, it is particularly difficult on Ultra-Violence, where the shotgun is in a secret for E1M1. 

8 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Oh, you're not talking about UV Max. Well then.

It's like a mix between UV Tyson and UV Speed. 

21 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

On my test runs, it is particularly difficult on Ultra-Violence, where the shotgun is in a secret for E1M1.

there is no need to grab the shotgun in Doom2 Map 01 imo, also E1M1 (Doom 1) has no secret shotgun, you get it pretty much right at the start, so

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

there is no need to grab the shotgun in Doom2 Map 01 imo, also E1M1 (Doom 1) has no secret shotgun, you get it pretty much right at the start, so

Yeah, but too make it more of a challenge, I'm not killing any monsters with my fists and pistol. 

E1M1 does have the secret shotgun. It's especially notable on lower difficulties. 

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I've been considering to set myself my own Doom speedrun, with the only weapon being used is the shotgun. 

Any thoughts? Advice? 

Map02 of Doom II is actually the perfect choice for a map to speedrun via only the shotgun. There are so many shotgunners you almost can't run out of ammo!

19 minutes ago, superchargecacodemons800 said:

Map02 of Doom II is actually the perfect choice for a map to speedrun via only the shotgun. There are so many shotgunners you almost can't run out of ammo!

That's a good map to speed through. My speedrun playthrough is for Episode 1. Shotgun Guy's are abundant on UV, so ammo won't be a problem. 

Just for the sake of taking risks, should I stick to killing at least one of every monster in the level, or just run to the exit? 

15 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

That's a good map to speed through. My speedrun playthrough is for Episode 1. Shotgun Guy's are abundant on UV, so ammo won't be a problem. 

Just for the sake of taking risks, should I stick to killing at least one of every monster in the level, or just run to the exit? 

When I usually do shotgun only speedruns, I try to finish them under twice the par time and with 100% kills and 100% secrets.

13 minutes ago, superchargecacodemons800 said:

When I usually do shotgun only speedruns, I try to finish them under twice the par time and with 100% kills and 100% secrets.

That's not a speedrun, that 's a MAX

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

E1M1 does have the secret shotgun. It's especially notable on lower difficulties.  

If you mean the one that is hidden behind a wall that lowers from a walkover trigger, okay I forget that even exists and wasn't anywhere near aware there was a shotgun, but it's useless anyways, since you should already have a shotgun by that time, and speedruns do not require you to get 100% secrets.

So grabbing that shotty means effectively wasting time, which is not what a speedrun aims to do, even when there's "weird" rules in play.

EDIT: Also speedruns are usually done on UV difficulty or Nightmare

I would actually think if this is gonna include speed running, the difficulty should be set to Nightmare due to the double ammo pickups, the faster enemies which make friendly fire much easier to get started, and of course pretty much all Nightmare runs have to be speed runs to begin with or else the hit scan enemies will destroy you rather quickly if you stand around. 

^To be honest, you probably get hurt more and are in a much more dangerous situation since you're severely undergun in Nightmare!

19 minutes ago, Maser said:

if this is gonna include speed running, the difficulty should be set to Nightmare due to the double ammo pickups

Double Ammo is not a factor if the runner only ever kills what's the bare minimum to be able to finish the maps.

20 minutes ago, Maser said:

the faster enemies which make friendly fire much easier to get started

You don't really get as much infights going in iWAD maps so that it makes an actual difference. If anything, some infighting may be minor speed boosts when dealing with larger game cannot be avoided.

23 minutes ago, Maser said:

and of course pretty much all Nightmare runs have to be speed runs to begin with

Problem is, you're not gonna get past Doom II map 07 aka "dead simple" on nightmare if all you have is the shotgun. You're not gonna kill fast enough, and you're get blown to bits faster than you would think. The map can be done pacifist with some trickery, but that trickery is off limits, because shotgun only.

24 minutes ago, Maser said:

else the hit scan enemies will destroy you rather quickly if you stand around

Can't really dodge hitscans anyway, plus hitscanners are a much larger pain in the ass on nightmare than they are on UV.

Wouldn't using only a Shotgun make the idea of a speedrun kind of moot when you are pretty much not allowing yourself to use other weapons to clear crowds of monsters faster nor allowing some tricks like rocket jumps, especially in Doom 2 and Final Doom? There's also the existence of Icon of Sin maps, and besides having an Arch-Vile launching you near the head in Doom 2's MAP30, what good can a Shotgun do by that point unless you really want to save those shells?

16 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Wouldn't using only a Shotgun make the idea of a speedrun kind of moot when you are pretty much not allowing yourself to use other weapons to clear crowds of monsters faster nor allowing some tricks like rocket jumps, especially in Doom 2 and Final Doom? There's also the existence of Icon of Sin maps, and besides having an Arch-Vile launching you near the head in Doom 2's MAP30, what good can a Shotgun do by that point unless you really want to save those shells?

There probably will be some exceptions if I attempt on Doom 2 and Final Doom. I'm making this challenge more exclusive in Ultimate Doom, where there is few constraints for me, such as the lack of the Icon of Sin and levels in episode format. 

It certainly seems like I'm playing through Alien Vendetta with only a shotgun, or atleast it seems like it for the first few levels in UV (Haven't played it any other difficulty). I sure love it when like 25 Hell Knights spawn out of no where and I only have a shotgun with 15 shells ._.

9 hours ago, Starkiller said:

There probably will be some exceptions if I attempt on Doom 2 and Final Doom. I'm making this challenge more exclusive in Ultimate Doom, where there is few constraints for me, such as the lack of the Icon of Sin and levels in episode format. 

I imagine that there would be some bad stops like a Demon getting in the way and needs three shots to be killed, although with the enemy roster being not as diverse as Doom 2, it could be easily possible. You'll probably have to slow down and rack up some shells before E2M8 and E3M8 however as I don't think either map have shells to pick up.

Basically pacifist where you can shoot any annoying stuff out of the way with the shotgun. Not very exciting, TBH.

Or are you not even allowed to punch the air? That would mean you have to stay silent until you have picked up a shotgun, and every wake-up shot uses ammo. Regardless, I suspect there are dozens of little-played categories that offer more interesting and varied gameplay.

(BTW: This thread should be in the Demos forum.)

22 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Vile surf to the brain and crouch in so you can shoot the BossBrain.

Which leads to the question: are you allowing yourself jumping and crouching?

16 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Since your stated goal is a speedrun, without worrying about maxing the level, just get to the exit.

20 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

My advice would be pointing the shotgun at stuff you need to kill, and only kill what you really have to kill.

Protip from NIH.

16 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you mean the one that is hidden behind a wall that lowers from a walkover trigger, okay I forget that even exists and wasn't anywhere near aware there was a shotgun, but it's useless anyways, since you should already have a shotgun by that time, and speedruns do not require you to get 100% secrets.

So grabbing that shotty means effectively wasting time, which is not what a speedrun aims to do, even when there's "weird" rules in play.

Except that without the shotgun to kill the imp in the exit room of E1M1, you'd have to open the door, draw it out, and then run around it, which would effectively waste time. And since Starkiller set the rule of no fists or pistol, the only way to get the shotgun in E1M1 is the hidden one.

11 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Except that without the shotgun to kill the imp in the exit room of E1M1, you'd have to open the door, draw it out, and then run around it, which would effectively waste time. And since Starkiller set the rule of no fists or pistol, the only way to get the shotgun in E1M1 is the hidden one.

You don't need to kill that imp or draw it out. Watch my E1M1 UV-speed demo. I didn't kill anything in it.

And you don't have to go for the secret shotgun either. On UV, it's easy enough to get a shotgun by making the first shotgunners infight. You can see that in my E1M1 UV-max.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Even if that were correct, which it is not, you get a shotgun in E1M1 (E1M1 implying "DOOM 1") right at the start "for free".

As for Doom 2, see above. You save too much time by wiggling past the imp to make going for Doom II map 01 secret shotgun desireable. Also it's the first map, and if it doesn't work well, you can just reset straight away, because the few seconds you need to get back to map 01 exit again are equal to an "absolute zero effort" as far as speedrunning is considered.

This remember me a challenge I created called: HardCore

Consists in play any megawad or pwads, but the difficulty is here, you have only a one life, if you died, you have restard all megawad :P

(can be playable with gameplay mods)

4 hours ago, cybdmn said:

I want to see you beating map30 with shotgun only.

Tyson run of that level exists and shotgun-only run would be pretty much exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

You don't need to kill that imp or draw it out. Watch my E1M1 UV-speed demo. I didn't kill anything in it.

And you don't have to go for the secret shotgun either. On UV, it's easy enough to get a shotgun by making the first shotgunners infight. You can see that in my E1M1 UV-max.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Even if that were correct, which it is not, you get a shotgun in E1M1 (E1M1 implying "DOOM 1") right at the start "for free".

Of course E1M1 implies Doom 1. I didn't mean to comment on anything about the first map of Doom 2.

As for the imp in E1M1, I stand corrected. I recalled the imp being closer to the door than it actually was. So, yes, it's relatively simple to avoid the imp and hit the exit switch.

As for getting the shotgun "for free," while yes, I concede that having the sergeants infight is a way to get the shotgun without having to fire a shot, I would not characterize it as "for free." To me, "for free" implies that it is just lying there for the relative taking without effort, like the green armor or the blue armor in E1M1.