Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Harlan Ellison Dead at 84

Oh, is the guy who made that story? I knew it because there's a videogame iirc based upon that...

RIP

It's an incredible shame to see him go. Few stories I've read have been filled with as much dread and horror as his most famous 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream'. He also seemed to be quite an interesting person from his interviews. Guess playing through the game and hearing him as AM is a fitting way to honor the memory of the legend.

And I played I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream recently. Quite a dark story and I enjoyed it all the way through. Plus, I knew it was based on a book, but I didn't know much about the author.

Regardless, rest in peace.

:3 there's more to him than I Have No Mouth hee

a prolific editor, curator and compiler and someone who wrote many brilliant short stories himself

deathbird stories should be on yr shelf tbh

53 minutes ago, yakfak said:

:3 there's more to him than I Have No Mouth hee

Now i feel bad because "I have no mouth and i must scream" is the only Harlan Ellison story i've ever read :(

May he rest in piece

Harlan Ellison was a huge jerk who alienated tons of people in the sci-fi writer community, but he was also that sort of magnetic personality that became a vortex of creative energy influencing the entire workgroup. His editorial and organizational work during the 60's and 70's was probably more important than his own writing, so to say. And I say that as a big fan of I have no mouth. A hugely controversial figure, and famously lawsuit-happy. He forced James Cameron add a credit to Terminator admitting it's inspired by his works. He got famously butthurt about the changes made to his script for The City at the Edge of Eternity and kept denouncing Star Trek for decades. But he's also the person that saved Star Trek when it sucked.

He was talented, flawed, full of contradictions and very much unique.

He was a creative consultant for Babylon 5 too. The best sci fi tv series ever, at least in my opinion.

what a legend, sad to see him go

you know i was thinking the only crumb of comfort is a lot more people will try and read some of his stories now that he's in the news for the worst reason

Babylon 5's a strange one. I love it but at the same time I have no idea why. Even although I worked on the show for a time. Talk about rampant cocaine use!