Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2018 Mentionation Thread (don't toot your own horn ffs)

Just now, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I would like to nominate the mapset built in the Team Rocket Endurance Speedmapping stream yesterday.

Haha, ok bro, just wait until you have played it first! Though that event is gonna worth some kind of mention.

5 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I would like to nominate the mapset built in the Team Rocket Endurance Speedmapping stream yesterday.

What, did you have the foresight to play it before they compiled it?

I mean I'm sure it's a good mapset but I ain't jumpin' the shark that early.

I'm playing it now. It's a fun mapset, definitely. There was an explicitly stated emphasis on quantity over quality, but they are legitimately creative and quirkily designed maps. Given the circumstances that went into making it, I think it's a prime candidate for receiving at least an honourable mention at the Cacowards.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

I'm playing it now. It's a fun mapset, definitely. There was an explicitly stated emphasis on quantity over quality, but they are legitimately creative and quirkily designed maps. Given the circumstances that went into making it, I think it's a prime candidate for receiving at least an honourable mention at the Cacowards.

Got a download link to it?

Alright, now that I've gotten a chance to play it, I'd mentionate the Team Rocket mapset for either the Machaward or a top 10 mention, if not a honourable mention.

Why the Machaward? It's really incredible that (give-or-take) 4 people were able to make a 34-map megawad in just 20 hours, breaking a record. Not to mention all of the maps are at least entertaining to play, if not on-par with a lengthy community project.

It's never too late for a fire-breathing mother flipping dragon! Brutal Doom won its own Cacoward on its second year, so why can't Guncaster win on its fifth? That is not to say that this thread spells "mentionation", not the freaking "nomination" :)

Was Brutal Doom released in late 2010? Probably during that time the Cacowards article was being written, so any good mods that were released late were pushed to next year's Cacowards.

Brutal Doom had a lot of versions, and it's one of these particular versions that got the Cacowards, not the previous and not the next.

If Guncaster had a new release this year which changed things significantly compared to previous versions, then it'd be eligible.

30 minutes ago, Gez said:

a new release this year which changed things significantly

As vague as it sounds, I mean, how much is significant and how little is not enough, the latest Guncaster update is a hefty one. With some parts of the code being rewritten, and other - translated to zscript; with new gameplay features added and old ones being rebalanced, the 3.0 update is a beast and probably the most popular mod on ZDoom forums right now.

42 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

As vague as it sounds, I mean, how much is significant and how little is not enough, the latest Guncaster update is a hefty one. With some parts of the code being rewritten, and other - translated to zscript; with new gameplay features added and old ones being rebalanced, the 3.0 update is a beast and probably the most popular mod on ZDoom forums right now.

Sounds like it could qualify!

I haven't yet played it myself, but Abort looks like an incredibly fun gameplay mod. Hearts of Demons also looks pretty sweet.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:21 PM, FrancisT18 said:

+++antares031 Mapper of the Year

we need a modder of the year award, and only Batandy deserves it.

Maybe another award an go to someone who simply maps, but his mods truly show what the GZDoom engine is capable of.

Consider bringing the Mordeth award back for this issue of Cacowards, simply to give it to Slaughterfest 3 and silence all the related jokes that aren't even jokes anymore. The end of an era!

++REKKR

HOLY FUCK

Deserves it. Such a well-produced thing the team have made right there.