Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Your Guilty Doom Pleasure

Sometimes when i feel annoyed with a level from any wad, but specially slaugther map wads, i just IDDQD and IDKFA for several levels until i feel better.

I enjoy facing tons of hitscanners and killing at least 3 or 5 of them with one shotgun blast, while their death sound plays at the same time. I enjoy this more with the single shotgun, but the SSG is good too.

One of my silly habits after exiting map01 in a single map custom WAD is gibbing the three former humans at the start of map02 before I quit the game.

Attempting to take on a horde of enemies with the plasma rifle despite owning the BFG and having enough ammo to use it excessively.

Me and the plasma rifle will be together forever :D

I've already mentioned this before, but I guess it'll be okay to reinstate it?

A strange habit of mine is to load up a slaughtermap with a gameplay mod that has a currency/score/upgrade/dynamic spawn system (i.e. MetaDoom, Guncaster, HXRTC Project, etc.), turn on notarget, use the "mdk" command on everyone, and see how many items I can rack up before I get bored.

Guilty pleasure? Kinda crappy 1994-esque maps, especially ones where you can see what the author was going for, but the end product was not up to scratch with their artistic vision. Something about them seems 'innocent' and I find myself easily charmed by them so long as the gameplay is half decent and they don't overstay their welcome. Products of a different time and a different mapping mentality.

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Kinda crappy 1994-esque maps, especially ones where you can see what the author was going for, but the end product was not up to scratch with their artistic vision.

Josh recommended something that 100% to me meets this.  There were a lot of interesting lighting effects(for the time) with lots of bland combat and strange, cryptic progression.  I could feel Time of Death and Eternal vibes from a mile away but the gameplay didn't hold up.  I'd like to see what a mapper from the mid 90's could do with GZDB or other modern tools.

a guilty pleasure I've found myself indulging in is just going back and replaying all my old maps (many unreleased, some released). Most of them are not good. They are blocky maps I made when I was learning, and yet there's still something i like about them since I still have vivid memories of working on them and all the ideas I had for them.

Plowing through Slaughtermaps with sv_fastweapons 2, sv_infiniteammo true and the Shotgun only.

It's effectively the deadliest railgun and it's so damn satisfying.

18 hours ago, Polaris said:

i'm gonna have to say: getting a shotgun guy to kill himself with a barrel.

Or punching a barrel into someone's face.

Unloading rockets/firing plasma balls into a archvile and killing it before it can finish its attack. 

Always a rush every time. 

Replaying the entirety of Ultimate Doom with RetroShader and jiggly PS1 style textures. It's stupid, but also kind of great.

2 hours ago, elend said:

Replaying the entirety of Ultimate Doom with RetroShader and jiggly PS1 style textures. It's stupid, but also kind of great.

RetroShader can simulate the effect of PS1 vertex-snapping?

1. Finding out an unintended way of tackling a monster encounter that makes the otherwise challenging encounter a cakewalk (or much easier). In other words, cheesing a map. Example: Player is supposed to step on a platform that lowers into an arena full of monsters he has to fight through. Instead I step on the platform just enough to get it to lower and then I jump/quickly dash backwards to get off it. Platform lowers. I then proceed to kill a bunch of the monsters from high ground using free look and crouching before I go down. (Easier if the map gives me a grenade launcher)

2. Fighting lots of monsters in extremely large areas (too large compared to the amount of monsters present) by circle strafing and holding down the fire button of the plasma rifle. There has too be a crap ton of health, armor and ammo lying around all over the place.

I still think that the mandatory 1994 PWAD "Isolated chainsaw pickup - room fills with pinkies - patiently chainsaw them one by one while backed in a corner" is pretty good Doomin'.

Also, I do all of this stuff just to spite speedrunners/UV-MAXers/"competitive" players/level designers.

4 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

RetroShader can simulate the effect of PS1 vertex-snapping?

Yeah, although you have to manually add a snippet of code to the gzdoom.pk3, which is easy enough.

I found that snippet on the first page here. The most recent version of retro shader (with ingame option menu!) is on the thread‘s last page. 

Not sure anything would fit in that category, but I do find it especially entertaining when infights get really brutal, particularly in regards to gibs. Also, lower-tier enemies being gibbed so aggressively they go flying about. There's something very comical and satisfying about those interactions.

I really like to kill bosses or tough monsters with a weak weapon.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, Terminus said:

Plowing through Slaughtermaps with sv_fastweapons 2, sv_infiniteammo true and the Shotgun only.

It's effectively the deadliest railgun and it's so damn satisfying.

and that...  yes, yes, yesss! YESSSSSS!!!

Killing every monster in a map except one little imp. I know that leaving any amount of Hellspawn alive is a sin for which I will have to answer to my Creator, but I am a prideful marine and the only way to let my legend spread among the enemy is to leave behind survivors to tell the tale.

sometimes when I get to MAP30 in DOOM II, sometimes I only kill the Icon of Sin without killing any other monsters, like, at all

Hanging around in Mt. Erebus and The Crusher longer than is strictly necessary in PSX Doom because Lamentation is just the greatest piece of dark ambient evil ever created.

Hitting Lost Souls mid-charge with a rocket.

It's not actually gotten me killed as much as one would think.

Triggering all the monster alcoves in Mt. Erebus, then making a run to the "water canyon" and fighting all those Cacos and Lost Souls to death, sort of Gladiator-style. I think I got inspired by the Registered Doom demo, though in that, the one controlling the marine severely got the lower hand.