Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - RELEASED

8 hours ago, Darox said:

I did find one issue in map 28. The door leading to the yellow key switch can be opened from the other side by monsters, so if you open it and then do something else like check on your cyberbuddy the imps can wander out of the room and lock the door behind them.

I noticed this as well and had to noclip my way through. Only bug I've encountered so far.

Thanks for reporting that, just fixed that bug. Keep 'em coming if you find them.

I've started actually playing it, too.

I got to Dragonfly's Agent Spork map and nearly finished when my computer died.

I hate my computer now. It died three times when I was trying to finish up E1M4 in my wad and now it dies here.

I've been doing UV and not saving very much (I saved in MTrop's Mr Touchy's Basement), so I have to redo that level.

These must be the easier maps I'm playing (I'm using the original version, not the updated one) so far, because I'm not having too much trouble yet.

alright, progress report.

so far, 21 maps in on UV playing saveless and it's been great, hardest maps so far have been 07 and 20. 20 in particular was incredibly rough because the AVs completely surround you, combine that with the damaging floors and confusing layout and you have one hell of a challenge. i've also beaten the secret maps (with the exception of 31, that's gonna take a while).

so far it's really just been uphill quality and it's been a fantastic experience! once again made in less than 24 hours which bewilders me.

probably gonna post 1 'final thoughts' dealio once i get through everything and that should wrap it up! great job guys! :)

Map 32 is a ton of fun. I don't know if it qualifies as being a slaughter map (certainly doesn't feel like one), but as someone that doesn't really like or dislike slaughter maps, I found this to be highly enjoyable.

Precision platforming isn't something I enjoy in Doom, so I skipped map 33. 

I had a blast playing through this WAD. My personal favourite maps are maps 10, 13 and 32. I really hope this project receives some kind of mention at the Cacowards, as I certainly think it deserves it. Cheers to all the mappers and contributors! 

Edited by Ajora

I'm still playing, I got to Dragonfly's little stone map. That is, the one he started with in the stream.

I'm probably going to be crucified for saying this, but @floatRand, that plasma can go, I think. I had already maxed the map by the time I got to the exit.

See, I did what it looked like no one else thought to: kill the cyber with the SSG after he killed everything else.

And MAP07 was pretty cool. I actually managed a Tyson run on that one, and that was fun, though GZDoom makes it easier, so...

Edit: I finished 1-30 and, surprisingly, didn't have too much trouble with 29. I think my favorites of the set were Dragonfly's Acceleration (<3 rockets), Jimmy's This Is Your Afterlife, and MTrop's Snow Problem. Skidding around on that ice like a maniac was so much fun, dodging fireballs and shooting rockets like crazy. MAP21 gave me the most trouble because I'd bounce off a zombie or imp or, in one case, get blasted off into the lava by the cyberdemon and die right before the exit.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

@Dragonfly He doesn't seem to care if I put down in the thread :/  Probably I should ask in Discord or something?

Map08:

It's sort of rare to see @floatRand has a simple map like this. Most of the time, floatRand's maps are highly detailed, like those in Disjunction. This time, it's a speedmap, it has less time for details, I guess. Overall, even though it's simple (relatively), it's still a very nice and interesting map. The open port area looks very nice and I like it a lot. The main point is to make infights between monsters and finish the Cyber afterwards.

Is running from the MegaArmor pillar the intended way to jump to the Soulsphere? It seems that I can't find another way to do that.

- Some stuff

> There is a weird box of shells stuck in the wall:

Spoiler

trocket08.jpg.b9e4e8808aece1ea59271859eae89ea7.jpg

> The Arch-vile is triggered by using your weapons. Otherwise, it doesn't teleport in.

Demos (contains: UV Max in 2:47; UV Pacifist in 0:34)

trocket08.zip

Basically it's a casual Max with a very "good" ending.

Edited by GarrettChan

Glad you liked it, it is something I don't usually do, but it is something I have really wanted to make - the more open, chaotic one where you can zipzoom, incite infighting, grab equipment, carve breathing space and so on. I kinda performed poorly while making it, getting bit too stuck with some details, but then decided to quickly just finish it. I liked how the monster placement worked out.

Yeah, soulsphere is simple jump from the pillar - I haven't watched demo yet, but my best UV-max was around 3:25, wasting plenty of time tracking a stray demon.

Map07:

Well, have to play AD's map whenever I see it. Personally I'm not a fan of Tyson maps mainly because I am really bad at it. I would say this map is a little bit unforgiving for not-so-good Tyson players. The main difficulty is those 2 Arch-viles because they are both in open spaces and you have to react to most of the stuff in order to deal with them. Overall, it's a pretty fun challenge to me.

Demo (UV Tyson in 4:45):

trocket07t445.zip

Obviously I'm not good at punching, so I decided to shoot stuff at the last few parts... and those Chaingunners are deadly...

17 hours ago, Repugnus said:

Just wondering, will the stream be uploaded to youtube?

I have plans on sorting this out, yes. :)

Good demos, Garrett! 

Map21:

I would say it's very nice to see this type of map where you need to platform in the certain amount of time. Besides I enjoy the map quite a bit, I have nothing else to say, and I think probably Heels would like this map.

Of course, there are some problems, or something I found (I hope it's not too late)

> You can SR40 straight to the exit; (I used SR50 in my demo, but I went back and check, and I found out SR40 is enough)

> The edge of the MegaSphere pillar secret is not damaging;

> It seems the Plasma Rifle secret can't be tagged if it's completely lowered.

Now,@Dragonfly, make me a longer and harder one please. Wait, that doesn't sound right ;P

Demos (NM Speed in 0:55 [not intended way]; NM Speed in 0:56):

trocket21.zip

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

make me a longer and harder one please.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But seriously, I do want to revisit this concept but in a secret area of a map perhaps. As for the 'skip', that is known. I could have easily done something about it, but figured that I'd leave it in in the interest of 'helping people' who don't enjoy that gameplay, and also in the interest of speedmapping. :P

If I remade such a concept the exit wouldn't be pre-emptively accessible, and wouldn't be timed. Currently, you can't beat the map quicker than 0:55 (unless you use non-intended mechanics such as freelook & jumping to perform a rocket jump)

Map10:

This map gives me some impression of 50mon Map18, also some Map07. I would say AD's map is quite recognizable after playing 50 Monsters (in a good way). The player can freely choose to open everything up or slowly kill everything and proceed. It's fun to take risk and run around the Cyberdemon and invoke infights.

> It seems there's a one-time teleporter in front of the Yellow Keycard as a trap, but it doesn't trigger most of the time unless you walk totally in the middle.

Probably there's no particular reason why I ran this on Nightmare!. I cheesed the Boom behavior to knock that Cyber off. Otherwise, it seems it blocks the Yellow Keycard most of the time. I was going for the intended route, but the map goes a little bit too crazy at the end. May try UV Max later.

Demo (NM Speed in 1:03)

trocket10n103.zip

Thanks for playing! That teleporter should probably be monsters-only. I've noticed some people like to be lame kill the cybie before he gets an opportunity to use it. Never tried it with the player or even considered the possibility beforehand.

1 minute ago, AD_79 said:

Thanks for playing! That teleporter should probably be monsters-only. I've noticed some people like to be lame kill the cybie before he gets an opportunity to use it. Never tried it with the player or even considered the possibility beforehand.

Ah, that makes sense now. I first time I played the map, the Cyber just walked through the bridge. Now I went back and check, I think probably there's something blocked the destination of teleporter. The thing is that even by normal infight, the Cyber could be knocked off the platform, which could make so hilarious outcome of the map.

The final version v3 is out and this will be on /idgames very soon.

Again, many many thanks to the donators, guest mappers, and the players who've been testing this thing! :D We'll see you when we Blast Off Again.

Got a few FDA's for you from the latest version

@floatRand - TRocket-08-AC - UV-max in 6:06

This was a good run, I was proud of it. Again, I didn't need the plasma at the end, but that's just me.

@Dragonfly - TRocket-09-AC - UV-max in 4:20

Took a few attempts for this one, and autoaim really had a problem with me early on. Didn't help that sometimes I'd run into my own rockets.

@Jimmy - TRocket-26-AC - UV-max in 5:32

One of my favorite maps, I had it in my first attempt, but it turns out I wasn't recording, much to my dismay. There was a small node builder error it looked like near the end. I punched in its direct when I got to it at around 5:15.

@MTrop - TRocket-27-AC - UV-max in 5:29

Another of my favorite maps, I thought I was recording this one, but I wasn't so I had to do it again. I really liked skidding around on the ice with the launcher.

I'll try to record a UV-max of 29, I have the strategy down, I just need RNG to cut me just a little bit of a break.

7 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

UV-max in 4:20

Blazing speed. Heh.

I'll watch the demo(s) later on when I get a chance. Thanks a bunch! :)

On 7/11/2018 at 4:47 PM, Bryan T said:

A full megawad made up of small levels.  This is what I like.  Good job bros.  Full playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQb-iKvQxo

Nice, feels like its rare to see a Trailblazer run...

Out of interest, though, why do several weapons have different costs to upgrade in your version? It's 110 for Chrome Justice, and 50ish for the HMG in my version, and the Nutcracker and Bitchmaker are almost certainly more too; did you tweak them?

I should get around to finishing this, still only done up to Map03. XD

5 hours ago, eharper256 said:

did you tweak them?

Yep.  Per description: "I made changes to the mods."

Map10 NM Speed in 1:17

trocket10n117.zip

@AD_79I think you put a monster block around the Cyberdemon? Since the demo get desynced, I wanted to do it again, but I found out I can't employ the same strategy. Anyways, it's fun to run the intended route though.

It seems I have a texture issue. Some textures keep changing from one to another constantly. I can see this happen on the Helipad of Map01, the floor of Map08 etc.

Spoiler

text1.jpg.30950654654c602f0c9587bae4cb0e73.jpg

text2.jpg.1f3d6ea4711f5f405cb8108a5ec80a61.jpg

I have this issue on PrBoom+ 2.514. I tried to load it with GZDoom, and this doesn't happen. Also, I tried to load the V2 WAD file, this doesn't happen either.

Does anybody else have this one? Or what am I missing?

Edited by GarrettChan