Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

On 12/14/2016 at 10:49 AM, illuknisaa said:

lPrk5Wk.gif

I love this. However, the map I'm making needed a COMP variant so I knocked one up. It's different from the original COMP texture as it keeps the silver panelling but still tiles in with the COMP framework. This is a 32-bit PNG of just the frame itself, that can be pasted over these as necessary.

compillZ.png

Cross-pasting this here since my Blasphemer/Heretic/Hexen pack has also now been paletted for Doom:

Not all of it will be useful for Doom, since it's more medieval-themed, but some bits are universally handy.  Still slightly work-in-progress, but feel free to use anything you like the look of.  Credit again to Dragonfly and Fuzzball for some of the bits I borrowed from their contributions earlier in this thread.

Bumping this thread with some skies I made in Gimp.

Seamless variations of the E4 sky in various colors.

Not concrete of whether they work with the base palette, unfortunately.

Blue:

ACSKYBLU.png.9f70d9a6dd2d9fd0d7dd2030012ba878.png

Brown:

ACSKYBRO.png.f9e78fe6a22a7343c93372092d33728e.png

Grey:

ACSKYGRY.png.7e949e35ae1c27b2d0761653e0ad551e.png

Orange:

ACSKYORG.png.006204e67d7845330e9fa8a5d639dd7c.png

Red:

ACSKYRED.png.01c94c723960cf21ca098f93d3fd282d.png

Edit:

If you want to use these skies, feel free.

Also, they do render properly in PRBoom, so Boom projects can use these.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

@Aquila Chrysaetos hey, look, blue sample was perfect for these two sky recolours:

HazS82n.png

D0yIRmn.png

Well, here, I'm leaving this custom palette as contribution to this thread. Feel free use it, tweak it and change colours. It replaces blue and green ranges. I generated this randomly as example for one person. Zip contains main palette and colormap. Don't forget about credits ;)
NzQOG3c.png

custom palette.zip

Some more variants of a couple stock Doom textures.

Ever wanted the WOODMET textures to have caco or knight blood on it?

If so, then here you go.

Blue:

oj2Dtw2.png

f0jXZHH.png

Green:

nDY5igB.png

092jo6d.png

Made in Gimp in about 20 minutes.

Disclaimer: I don't know yet if these are compatible with the base Doom palette.

These will not render properly in the base Doom palette, you will need a truecolor port.

All textures I post here are always for public use.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Made in Gimp in about 20 minutes.

Why do you waste all that time? Slade has a color remap function that allows you to do those kind of simple recolors in less than 1 minute, and the result is compatible with the Doom palette.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:15 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

@gaspe, because Slade doesn't work on my machine (missing MSVCP120.dll).

And I like Gimp anyway, I'll probably start making new textures soon.

this isn't to say that Gimp or some other editing program wouldn't have a place in your editing workflow - but I think things will be unquestionably harder if you don't have slade working. I have encountered the same dll errors as you before and I am pretty sure I fixed it by just finding the right dlls on the web and placing them inside my slade directory, and then the problem went away

cky3.png.cf34b5e949c994854c36895213d31ade.png I had made quite a few cartoony textures for my personal Doom wads for awhile, so I'd show you some of my highlights. Keep in mind that nothing is in the DOOM palatte.

crismaswood1.png

GOLDSTONE.png

marbi15.png

marbi16.png

marbi17.png

marbi18.png

STARSTR1.png

On 7/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

@gaspe, because Slade doesn't work on my machine (missing MSVCP120.dll).

And I like Gimp anyway, I'll probably start making new textures soon.

@Aquila Chrysaetos you can manualy download all needed dll.

@Gabenslair  I like that city background as a sky, because its pixels seem well sorted. Especially the gradient in the sky using dithering, etc. Well done, any ingame screenshots of that?

@elend 

Delivered. I have plenty of variants of the same image in-case your looking for a more "Vibrant" city or a "Doomy" city, but I have a truckload of made textures in a bag along with other textures i stole borrowed from various threads, games, and Torment0r666 packs. The textures i made below it were made in the mind of making another holiday themed wad, but i haven't gotten around to using them.

Screenshot_230.png

Screenshot_233.png

chistswitch1.png

chistswitch2.png

sie3.png

@Gabenslair Oh yes! That looks indeed very nice. Really, a little bit of manual touch up and in most cases dithering really helps a lot. It's a pity that most sky textures are just resized photos crammed into Doom's Palette. Hmm... maybe I should try some on my own.

Is anyone attempting to compile this threads content into a useful texture .wad? There is some nice stuff in here.

I don't think I'd assume that was a door. It looks very similar to a typical wall decoration; but it depends how it's done in game. If you 'force' the player to have to use this as a door then they'd understand it's a door.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

I don't think I'd assume that was a door. It looks very similar to a typical wall decoration; but it depends how it's done in game. If you 'force' the player to have to use this as a door then they'd understand it's a door.

Any way to make it seem more... door-like?

52 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Any way to make it seem more... door-like?

Add some corner pieces to the bottom or handles. 

Yeah or maybe a switch in the wall that is always next to the said door texture.

Otherwise as rf' suggested or maybe even some support2 like textures on the sides of the door texture to give it the impression that it actually moves up and down.

Looks good though!