Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Alien Vendetta

Close to a year after its first releas I've decided to put up a polished version of Alien Vendetta. I've been considering this for some time since quite a few minor and more serious bugs have been reported the past year. This and the fact that AV is gonna be implented in the compet-N tables makes now a good time for a final version.

So, naturally I'dd be interested in any opinions on stuff that could need improvement/changes in the wad; be it gameplay, architecture or bugs.

On a related note, I've got a very interesting map offering for a possible replacement of an existing level. A very attractive piece of work. Because of this, getting some thoughts on what the most expendable level is would be greatly appriciated.

Any particular AV map you hate? And why? Any rants on this would be of interest. Thanks.

Current bug list includes:
-Misc texture fuckups in map06
-Map 12 have a false exit after blue door
-Map 27 redkey is useless
-Missing torch in map23
-A few missing lower-textures in map11
-Extra outdated exit line trigger in map20
-Stuck monsters in map20
-Missing torch in map20
-Possible to get stuck in a map22 bookcase secret
-It possible to archi-jump through a window in map27 and get stuck.
-Menu graphics are messed up when running ports

Well... If you are interested, I've made a boom compatible dehacked lmp file so that the map names appear in the auto map under boom compatible source ports (I've only tested it on Boom and zdoom, but they both work fine).

I've also made one that jdoom can read, so when you start a map, the correct title appears, along with the correct name in the auto map.

Andy Johnsen said:
Any particular AV map you hate? And why? Any rants on this would be of interest. Thanks.

Since you asked, I really disliked Map26: Dark Dome. this map stopped me from finishing AV altogether. there are just Whay to many monsters at once. not only was it frustatingly hard, but it was unplayable under Jdoom. it just choked on it. I switched over to zdoom, which did improve performance, but it’s still to smegging hard. I don't know what you can do to fix this, but you asked...

Well. The music doesn't work in EDGE. I just get these weird errors in the console about the midi player, IIRC. The music works fine in Zdoom though.

This all sounds like a great idea. I hope to give you some more considered thoughts in due course, but off the top of my head:

I don't like map 21. It just seemed boring, and rather contentless. It looked pretty and had a cool name, but that's all.

I felt the secret needed to reach the exit on map 01 could easily put people off the wad as a whole. Of course, probably everyone knows about it now, but I think it would make sense to remove a possible (and completely untypical) source of annoyance that appears so early on.

I think the shortcuts on map 26 and map 24 should be blocked off. It shouldn't be possible to beat these maps in under 2 minutes! And I'd like to see map 26 made a bit tougher generally. :p

Ct_red_pants said:

Well... If you are interested, I've made a boom compatible dehacked lmp file so that the map names appear in the auto map under boom compatible source ports (I've only tested it on Boom and zdoom, but they both work fine).

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/utils/exe_edit/patches/avdeh.txt
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/utils/exe_edit/patches/avdeh.zip

This is the DEH that is used for the custom engine in the AV ZIP. It contains map names as well as the ingame story.

Andy, you may want to mention the exact URL of the DEH for source engine users in the TXT, or even include it along with the engine in the ZIP this time. Don't forget to place the little automap "0" font that I put in avdeh.zip in the WAD.

I agree with Grazza about map21, it just feels out of place. Also, the disappearing monster syndrome kind of ruins the experience in a couple of maps (I recall 24 and 32 particularly), practically making them source engine-only maps (I know this kind of thing happens in HR as well, but still.) Nonethless I don't think this can be helped (not that I know), and the maps themselves aren't bad. Actually, maybe you shouldn't fix the map24 fence bug Grazza mentions because of this. Unless I'm forgetting something I have no problems with the other maps.

myk said:
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/utils/exe_edit/patches/avdeh.txt
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/utils/exe_edit/patches/avdeh.zip

This is the DEH that is used for the custom engine in the AV ZIP. It contains map names as well as the ingame story.

Oh well. The jdoom level names are still relevant. give me enough time, and I can make it so that the level names appear in all of the source ports.

Andy Johnsen said:

-Misc texture fuckups in map06

Yes those were annoying, and NOT my fault :). There's also some bad looking sector light levels, If I had the chance to fix stuff i'd never finish.

You do have a chance to fix them... at least to point out the more obvious ones.

Andy, congratulations on AV being implemented at Compet-N, great news.
Map20 boring? No way. Now let me see, most expendable map? I'll have a quick look...:)

Ok a few things in map06

sector
345 light->128, ceiling->ceil5_2
159 light->128, ceiling->ceil5_2
344 RROCK09->floor
396 sector 407 cuts into TLITE6_6 texture on ceiling (looks bad)
217 light->128

linedef 381 make monster block? the revenants pass through the walkway but they shouldn't (ceiling should be too low)

give doors ceiling texture FLAT20

Make telefrag cybie more repeatable?

remove redundant sectors (control sectors for lift thats been removed)

Pack sidedefs, saves ~50k

myk said:

Actually, maybe you shouldn't fix the map24 fence bug Grazza mentions because of this.

It's not just the fence bug (making a "glide" possible). It is possible to jump over the fence (quite easy too - even I can manage it!), and there is an AV-jump that skips even more of the map later on. These tricks enabled Selim 'Bastard' Benabdelkhalek to do a 1:27 NM run and others.

Map 20 was great, of course. And I thought map 06 was a masterpiece.

EDIT: If source-port compatibility is any sort of priority this time around, then I should mention that the voodoo doll ideas in map 24 don't work in Legacy (since it doesn't support voodoo dolls at all). It works fine in Zdoom and jDoom (I've just tested them).

I must have spent three days total in map20. It's a great map, but quite difficult with all the backtracking.

I wasn't aware of some of these problems with AV mentioned here, but i've only been through the wad once, and loved it. So many good things to say about this megawad, it's one of the best i've played, really appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it. when i get back from work I'm gonna play it again..on Hurt Me Plenty of course ;)

magikal said:

Andy, congratulations on AV being implemented at Compet-N, great news.
Map20 boring? No way. Now let me see, most expendable map? I'll have a quick look...:)

Expendable? Hell no. Expansive. Hell yeah. Fucker was huge. Took more than 3 or 4 days of backtracking to get to the end. I EVEN DID THIS ON UV NO CHEAT!!! Hard as hell, quite fun. That, and something about egypt just gets to me...

Shaviro said:

One of the best level design jobs...ever.

I have to agree on that, but it was just too long.

Do NOT kick any maps! ahem...

Other than the item, monster, and texture bugs, its fine IMHO.

Map20 is awesome man! Long and hard just the way i like em!
(cough cough) :P

Well not really, but I see no reason to kick any of the maps at all.

I had better see another complete run-through of the new version or I'll be rather miffed. :)

/me = Alien Vendetta fanboy

/me see an upcoming subject for DOOM radio.

Back to AV:

(I'm using zdoom BTW)

- some pixels are missing on the status bar

Mr. NobodX said:

- some pixels are missing on the status bar

Let me guess, the few on the bottom left? That's for the debugger's FPS counter.

It was made for the doom exe origionally.

Some of the hell levels that didn't offer as much architecturally and were just crammed with monsters were a bit annoying...but I'd have to see the new map before I make my opinion on whether or not to replace an existing one with it.

ravage said:

Map 26, do you actually expect us to beat that?!??

Well I couldn't make a better map; could you? :p

Seriously, read the hints in AJ's text, and learn your way around the map (play with nomo, look at it in an editor, play in Godmode if you must...) and try again. It is possible to complete this map using normal methods (clear area, restock with supplies, extend the area you have cleared, repeat). One safe way to get started (and make quite a dent in the population figures) is to run backwards and to your left from the start position, round to the bit where there is a teleporter that leads to you telefragging a series of Archviles and picking up an invulnerability. While invulnerable, you can clear quite a large area with your BFG (I'd suggest killing some mancubuses, a spider mastermind and a few pain elementals, and returning to the area you ran through on the way to the teleporter). Then play normally and carefully. If you've beaten map 20 (for instance), it shouldn't be beyond you.

Deathman said:

I have to agree on that, but it was just too long.

nah, I think it was a nice break from the many small maps we see these days.

ravage said:

Let me guess, the few on the bottom left? That's for the debugger's FPS counter.

Nope. I've meant these's:

Everything yellow is missing pixels

Grazza said:

Well I couldn't make a better map; could you? :p

Meh, that level was probably the weakest architecturally, IMO.

IMO, map 26 would be better if there weren't so many damn revnants! Honestly, do you really need that many monsters in 1 room?

Map 26 is one of DOOM Anomaly's fav maps on Av...along with Map 32....ahh gotta love that carnage. :D

ravage said:

Map 26, do you actually expect us to beat that?!??

Bah, DOOM Anomaly beat it on first try. :P