False starts?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. False starts?

• Never
    • Rarely
    • Sometimes
    • Often
    • Always

How often do you write a reply to a post in a thread, then look at what you've typed and think "I have nothing to add to this discussion"? How many new threads did you start to make, but decide against making?

It took me a few seconds to decide whether or not starting this thread was worthwhile. I'm having second thoughts. :|

yeah, I do that sometimes. I almost did it here. sometimes I'm not sure if my comments will be of any use. sometimes a comment will get me riled up and I decide to forgoe the rant I typed for fear of starting a flame war. other times I'm just to drunk or tired to make any sense.

This happens occasionally with me. There are also times when I think I do have a valid point to make, but decide against making the post since I judge it too likely to invite a pointless argument and/or sidetrack the discussion too much.

I guess that's why my post-count is so low.

Every so often I'd write a message at least a couple of paragraphs long. Then I change my mind right before I hit the Reply button. One time I did attempt to post a rather large comment, only to find that the whole thing was just sent to Hell not even thirty seconds before I hitthe Reply button.

The right time for any second thoughts is definitely before posting, rather than posting and then editing. If you opt for the latter approach, you can almost bet your life on it that some sod will have quoted the embarrassing part within a minute of it appearing.

IMJack said:

It took me a few seconds to decide whether or not starting this thread was worthwhile. I'm having second thoughts. :|

Well, then I can reassure you: This thread is interesting enough.

Yeah I do that sometimes. Especially when someone pisses me off. Then I begin to write a very aggressive counter reply, get halfway (or to the point where I'm about to hit 'reply') and realize that posting this will get me in trouble.

So to those who think I already seem too aggressive: Be glad that I don't always post what I feel.

I do that sometimes. I just can't think of anything to say that would really add to the current discussion, so I just hit the back button and go on with life.

IMJack, admit it. You intentionally make this poll so the poll results would give us all the finger.

It? Referring to yourself in the third person is odd enough, but referring to yourself as an it?

I don't recall starting any threads. Even when my account was still "Ike654" here on the forums, 'till I did something...I think I forgot my password, lost my AOL e-mail account, so couldn't get it back, or something.

Anyways, never I guess.

Grazza said:

Whoever it was who voted "Always" is presumably still a "Registered Lurker".

Not really. I usually think twice before saying things, and still make the wrong choice. Strange how I haven't offended anyone yet; I better try harder huh?

Surely someone who always decides against making posts never actually ends up making any? Unless their finger slips and they accidentally post, I suppose.

DOOM Anomaly said:

None that DOOM Anomaly is aware of, DOOM Anomaly takes full pride in what it does.

DooMBoy thinks Doom Anomaly should stop referring to itself in the third person, but that's DooMBoy's opinion on the matter :)

yeah, sometimes i'll write like 2 paragraphs of rambling rants and other glorious things... then i'll come to the conclusion that i have nothing valuable to add to the discussion (or the 2 paragraphs were so incoherent(sp?) that nobody would understand them)

kinda like this post :-D