Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

7 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Any help? Still need it :(

I know it may be an iconic map but you didn't say what map it is, nor did you say what wad it's in. Sometimes you've got to help the helpers help you.

20 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I know it may be an iconic map but you didn't say what map it is, nor did you say what wad it's in. Sometimes you've got to help the helpers help you.

Slaughterfest 3 MAP16 (Nibblet).

Figured people who played the megawad already know the area, so I didn't feel it was needed to mention where is this from.

10 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Slaughterfest 3 MAP16 (Nibblet).

Figured people who played the megawad already know the area, so I didn't feel it was needed to mention where is this from.

If you didn't make the wad, you should always list where it's from. It's just good etiquette on this thread.

But really this isn't even the right place to ask advice. I'd suggest trying over on the Slaughterfest 3 thread itself.

18 minutes ago, Bauul said:

If you didn't make the wad, you should always list where it's from. It's just good etiquette on this thread.

But really this isn't even the right place to ask advice. I'd suggest trying over on the Slaughterfest 3 thread itself.

I guess you're right, I just didn't want to ruin that thread with my dumb questions.

And yeah my gut's telling me it is indeed a stupid question, almost every single time I get stuck somewhere it's because I do what I do best, miss the obvious. Not proud of it but can't do much to change that fact...

Feels pretty bad though, throwing the same question everywhere... first a few people, and now topics -__- .

@Agent6 Haven't you tried taking a look at it in Doom Builder? That's what I usually do when I get stuck in a WAD.

If you don't have the program, I encourage you to download it anyway, it can be fun to mess around with even if you don't want to get into serious mapping.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

@Agent6 Haven't you tried taking a look at it in Doom Builder? That's what I usually do when I get stuck in a WAD.

If you don't have the program, I encourage you to download it anyway, it can be fun to mess around with even if you don't want to get into serious mapping.

I have it.

Didn't think about that though, ultimately I decided to just -warp to MAP17 and pistol start from there. Still, I'd like to know how you reach the exit in MAP16 legitimately, so if someone could tell me in the SF3 thread or privately I'd appreciate.

Opening it in DB won't help, I think, since I don't know how many things work there, or where to look.

30 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

Someone remember this? 

I'm guessing it's Doom Wars on the Stratagus engine?

But at first I thought about GSC Game World's DoomCraft project but that was never completed IIRC.

25 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I'm guessing it's Doom Wars on the Stratagus engine?

But at first I thought about GSC Game World's DoomCraft project but that was never completed IIRC.

yes is that :"v, never finished project

y0RYN8G.png

From the latest shop v3.5 !

What are these scientists doing?!

Some more shots of Betelgeuse.

V4x1bAn.png

SCy1SaV.png

That mastermind was originally going to be a cyberdemon, but I decided a mastermind would be more threatening, given her powerful hitscan attack.

Have an automap view.

VmubPYK.jpg

Only 309 sectors so far. Very simple. Should be very short, too.

Simple hit the switches, kill the monsters, exit the map sort of deal here.

2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

but I decided a mastermind would be more threatening

:v .

In general, not really, but depends on how you use them, just like everything. That boxes do seem rather small, so a Cyb might've been deadlier given the splash damage of his rockets.

Not when he never decides to shoot, he isn't. I threw that mastermind there because, again, of her powerful hitscan attack and she doesn't stop shooting until you hurt her, hide, or one of you dies.

And rockets are possible to dodge (which ties into the hitscan attack).

The only available weapons at the moment are 'zerk, SSG, and launcher, and I won't be generous with ammo (I'll probably make the previous map more stringent on ammo) here so going toe-to-toe with the mastermind won't exactly be on the figurative table.

And testing has suggested so far that this was the right move, that the cyber was too easy to avoid and didn't add any real threat to the level. Change may come in the future, but I'm sticking to it at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Not when he never decides to shoot, he isn't. I threw that mastermind there because, again, of her powerful hitscan attack and she doesn't stop shooting until you hurt her, hide, or one of you dies.

And rockets are possible to dodge (which ties into the hitscan attack).

The only available weapons at the moment are 'zerk, SSG, and launcher, and I won't be generous with ammo (I'll probably make the previous map more stringent on ammo) here so going toe-to-toe with the mastermind won't exactly be on the figurative table.

And testing has suggested so far that this was the right move, that the cyber was too easy to avoid and didn't add any real threat to the level. Change may come in the future, but I'm sticking to it at the moment.

Yeah, but he never shoots only when the enemy is not in his sight :v .

Do be careful with how much emphasis you put on resource starvation throughout the levels though. Designed for continuous or pistol starts? That's gonna play a lot in terms of balance. Or, should that be the case, suicide exits could get rid of that problem.

I was apparently under the false impression that the proper feedback came after the map was released for playtesting, not before.

These are my decisions, so leave them to me. Wait until I release this to second guess me, and I will consider changing things.

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Some more shots of Betelgeuse.

Teal pillar looks a bit out of place, other than that, cool..

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I was apparently under the false impression that the proper feedback came after the map was released for playtesting, not before.

These are my decisions, so leave them to me. Wait until I release this to second guess me, and I will consider changing things.

He wasn't being aggressive, christ. Masterminds are a tricky beast to handle properly, Agent6's throwin' out some legit concerns.

A platforming maze with little cover is exactly where a mastermind is dangerous, because you can't rush toward it for point-blank attacks then hide and repeat.

On the other hand, a cyberdemon is most threatening in a walled maze, so that there's lot of opportunities for its rockets to splash on a wall next to you. Whereas in a platforming maze, you dodge the rocket and the continue on their merry way, eventually disappearing harmlessly in a sky wall.

In short, you need to make a tall, two-level maze, with a cybie patrolling the ground and a spidey ruling the roof. Plus a few caged archviles that are there to knock the player back down to the cybie's den.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:10 PM, GoatLord said:

Added some rebar, kept some of the floor unfinished, tried to make it really look like it's an incomplete section.

Screenshot_Doom_20180711_130831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180711_130836.png

';,,;'

3nc9hWg.jpg

15 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Of course, it was just a suggestion, a Cybie worked better in my mind, but I suppose that might not be the case here.

Either way, we'll live to see how it turns out :v .

Shortly after completing work on my vanilla episode 2 replacement The Becoming, I'd actually made one map of an episode 1 replacement (again, targeting vanilla). Just the one map.

Dug it out today for a quick spin in GZDoom and am pleasantly-surprised that it's really good. Perhaps I should make an e1 after all!

Screenshot_Doom_20180718_121825.png.ad2b59dcce1e55d0cf540deb138cb0f8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180718_121935.png.9e505d7cd95db54fc3b8c2ac3a14d50a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180718_122040.png.e81b884006d9f3fca4f56371dbc8e8f6.png

5 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Are the ceiling lamps broken? :(

Flashing sectors. It's just a pain sometimes to grab screens showing that.

Also, I'd like to add; when targeting vanilla sometimes it's better not to change light levels so much, as they add visplanes. Although that's not what I'm doing here, it's always a thing I am considering. Lighting is nice, but it'll be one of the first casualties should I need to fix a scene that bombs Chocolate Doom.