Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

bullets hitting lost souls act like bullets hitting walls. 

i found this out while playing Winter's Fury. (it has custom sounds for bullets hitting walls)

2 hours ago, Polaris said:

no, it's just a short "woof"

That's one of the former human sight noises.

8 hours ago, Polaris said:

there's a sound effect for a dog barking in Doom 2 (it's one of the "quit game" sounds)

The closest thing that comes to mind it's a strange "woooaaaoo" sound, it doesn't sound quite like a dog, sounds more like a wave or something like that.

8 hours ago, Polaris said:

there's a sound effect for a dog barking in Doom 2 (it's one of the "quit game" sounds)

From the gzdoom.pk3 sndinfo.txt:

$random menu/quit1 { player/male/death1 demon/pain grunt/pain misc/gibbed misc/teleport grunt/sight1 grunt/sight3 demon/melee }
$random menu/quit2 { vile/active misc/p_pkup brain/cube misc/gibbed skeleton/swing knight/death baby/active demon/melee  }

Those are all the sounds that play when you quit the game. Most likely the sound being referenced here is skeleton/swing, which is the revenant's melee attack sound.

To define the others in the list:

menu/quit1: player death, demon/knight/caco pain, zombie/imp pain, XDeath gib sound, teleport, zombie sighted 1, zombie sighted 3, pinky attack

menu/quit2: vile active, powerup pickup, BossEye cube fired, XDeath again, revenant melee, knight death, arachnotron active, pinky attack again

In E3M4, in the blood-filled room on the western side of the map (the one you can look in and see the tortured bodies on pillars), on the right side of the room, the walls on either side of the two windows are all GSTFONT1 (the gargoyle head spouting blood). The other three walls of the room are regular green stone. I may have known this way back in the mid-90's, but, if so, I'd forgotten it and only found out again a couple days ago.

There is no way for the players to see this wall and there is no way to enter the room without no-clipping. It would have been a simple matter for Petersen to continue wrapping green stone around all 4 walls, but he chose to put a different texture on those walls that no player will ever see in the course of regular play. I find it an interesting bit of detail that was completely unnecessary, but is a nice touch.

on E1M1, there's a secret elevator in the shotgun room that has armor bonuses, and a box of shotgun shells.

2 hours ago, Polaris said:

on E1M1, there's a secret elevator in the shotgun room that has armor bonuses, and a box of shotgun shells.

And, in the PSX Doom version, a pain elemental!

On 7/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Polaris said:

Also this elevator/tunnel isn’t present in v1.0/1.1, it was added in 1.2.

The games have several "impossible" areas. Another good example is the bar doors on e4m3. Quake also has similar areas.

the sound for the shotgun firing, and pumping are one sound. i found this out from the heavy weapons dudes in doom 2.

In the "A Visit to id Software" video you can see that when Romero is noclipping, the screen doesn't have HOM like it does in the final game, suggesting that a month before launch it was still using plain mode 13h and not the triple-buffered "Mode Y" it used in the release code.

Also when the crusher hurts him, the game shows an ouch face, not the usual pain face.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

In the "A Visit to id Software" video you can see that when Romero is noclipping, the screen doesn't have HOM like it does in the final game, suggesting that a month before launch it was still using plain mode 13h and not the triple-buffered "Mode Y" it used in the release code.

I wonder if he's playing on the NeXT instead of a PC? It's not clear due to the editing of the video. The resolution *could* be a bit better than 320x200, (240), not sure.

Quite interested in the changes in the armour area of e1m1, I haven't seen that before!

When the game crashes, it's pretty clearly DOS - you can see stuff about Watcom, DOS/4GW, etc. Also the EXE filename appears to be "ddtdoom" so I guess this was during a period when Dave Taylor was pounding on it to get the automap, status bar, menus etc sorted out.

TIL that Episode 4 reuses the already existing MUS files for its songs instead of its own, e.g. replacing D_E3M4 also changes the song that plays on E4M1.

Not about Doom, but about myself when playing Doom: I just realised that at some point in time I got used to always back up after opening a door.

The Spider Mastermind was once intended to have a secondary magical attack, but id scrapped the idea because they couldn't decide what to make it.

I can imagine her summoning a firestorm or something on the player. That would've been cool.

Not necessarily Doom, but it is Doom related.

TIL that, in Rise of the Triad: Dark War, the first secret level (Turn of The Screw) can be found in E1M3 (Burned and Amazed), the exact same level slot as Doom's (Military Base found in Toxin Refinery).

The Mancubus fireball sprites are sprite edits from the frames of charging lost souls.

6 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The Spider Mastermind was once intended to have a secondary magical attack, but id scrapped the idea because they couldn't decide what to make it.

I can imagine her summoning a firestorm or something on the player. That would've been cool.

Been thinking about a telepathic attack, that would've been interesting.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:04 AM, Agent6 said:

Been thinking about a telepathic attack, that would've been interesting.

That's what the skull in the Doom Pre-release Beta used. I guess id didn't care for it - I thought it was pretty cool. Don't know why they scrapped the sprites, though - they were sweet.

8 hours ago, kb1 said:

That's what the skull in the Doom Pre-release Beta used. I guess id didn't care for it - I thought it was pretty cool.

They brought it back with the Archvile though -sorta.

10 hours ago, Maes said:

They brought it back with the Archvile though -sorta.

You're kinda right about that - didn't think about it that way. Good point!

e3m4.png.732be2db88521031a5d207995d6983f6.png 

I haven't noticed this misalignment on E3M4 before, and now I'm just baffled. How do you horizontally misalign a 16-wide door border texture on a 16-wide linedef? I'd suspect a rogue autoalign feature, but this is an iwad map, meaning Sandy had to manually set the texture offset to 8 for some reason. In a similar vein, on E3M2 two one-sided lines adjacent to a lowering wall (and only those) are lower unpegged, causing a visual error. Force of habit, I guess!

I guess this E3M4 thing now counts as the "weirdest iwad texture misalignment" in my book, surpassing MAP31 which actually has texture misalignments in rooms that are completely orthagonal and aligned to a 128x128 grid.

E3m4 might have had the episode 1 tech style bars, and it looked fine back then. Maybe later the map was changed to be more hellish, and we ended up with this oddity. Who knows. E3m4 is one of the maps I think Sandy designed from the ground up, it's not a design originally started by Tom Hall judging by the look of the map.

In Map 27, DooM II, there was a mapping error on the big room with lots of corpses.

I discovered it with a friend while playing Real Guns Hardcore 

3 hours ago, Archanhell said:

In Map 27, DooM II, there was a mapping error on the big room with lots of corpses.

What kind of error?