Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ferk

Tweaking Freedoom guy's face

Well, this way one can rationalize everything away. Take any badly drawn game and say that it is great that the monsters don't look stereotypical, and the physics of the game suck, but it's a great backstory, since everyone as some party is always drunk, etc.

At the end of the day nobody cares about some party's backstory, which is also not very original (yes, people get drunk at parties). People would care whether a game is good or not.

Doom is a classic FPS. Freedoom is obviously part of that tradition. It is Doom with free content. So, stay true to the concept, me thinks.

There was a thread consisting of proposed backstories for Freedoom, although I don't think we'll see any changes to what is currently here anytime soon. Of course, I remain curious as to how the current project of reworking on Freedoom levels is going, been a while since anything was said about it.

Seeing as some people have suggested redoing face, would you guys would want this as face?  STFST01.png.67f4b52fc7aea143ac3c71c196d0a586.png

No, I like @Ferk's version of the Karl Urban inspired face. Although I'm not completely happy with the eyes, it's certainly better than many of the other graphics/sprites.

And I'm generally not in favour of throwing something that is good (not perfect) away and starting over again and again without a good reason. There are so many sprites of questionable quality that need touching up/editing/redoing without anyone capable and willing on the horizon after @raymoohawk disappeared. It's sad. Until then there was so much visible progress that it felt like it was only a short time till all sprites would be in an acceptable state.

3 hours ago, Haaslok said:

I would overhaul his entire face.

I'd prefer something like this

Freedoomguy2_hi.png.a739a4501c7bc0b3caf2ee032e11d4f3.png        Freedoomguy2.png.7b7841d342b0a04cb1a61b0b5aebfc39.png

Oh wow that looks very nice!

That looks great, please go ahead!

I'd personally prefer the chin to not be so round, but it's overall a big improvement, I love the hair.

On 7/13/2018 at 12:28 AM, Haaslok said:

Please go ahead, that's very nice! Just make sure it looks just as well in-game with aspect ratio correction on.

Thanks, glad everybody likes it. I suppose I can offer something towards the project. I am very new to Doom modding so I am not familiar with the tools. I just downloaded Slade like two days ago. So feel free to talk to me as if I'm an idiot.

I hardened his face a bit

Old Freedoomguy and Doomguy for comparison.

Freedoomguy3_hi.png

It looks a bit like he has a very light shaded beard. Does he have a beard? Whatever it is, it looks very nice indeed, but I almost prefer the previous overhauls of the face.

5 minutes ago, elend said:

It looks a bit like he has a very light shaded beard. Does he have a beard? Whatever it is, it looks very nice indeed, but I almost prefer the previous overhauls of the face.

No beard, just scruff. That's what I always assumed it was.

Due to the face being so pixelated I had to lightened up his facial hair. There was too much contrast between his facial hair and mouth. The viewer can get easily confused when they initially look at it.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:28 PM, Haaslok said:

I'd prefer something like this

Freedoomguy2_hi.png.a739a4501c7bc0b3caf2ee032e11d4f3.png        Freedoomguy2.png.7b7841d342b0a04cb1a61b0b5aebfc39.png

So far I feel this one is the best, by a long margin.

3 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

That is brilliant!

Thanks, I like that one too but not everybody feels the same apparently.

Here is a lineup of all my versions

First is the hardened version, middle is a bit softer, and last is a bearded version. I am not the fond of the last one because the beard actually softens his cheeks.

Freedoomguy-lineup.png

Yet, I do like that dark line under his chin, it's kind of a good contrast to indicate "where is face ends". At least it looks good on the forum's background color. Other than that, great work.

8 minutes ago, elend said:

Yet, I do like that dark line under his chin, it's kind of a good contrast to indicate "where is face ends". At least it looks good on the forum's background color. Other than that, great work.

Here's how it looks against the color I pluck from the hud

I find the black line distracting because it leads the viewer's attention away from the important part of his portrait - his eyes.

Freedoomguy-lineup_bg.png

1 hour ago, Haaslok said:

Here's how it looks against the color I pluck from the hud

I find the black line distracting because it leads the viewer's attention away from the important part of his portrait - his eyes.

I'd go with the second one.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:27 AM, Haaslok said:

I'd go with the second one too but I'd define more the outline (without making it black though). The touch of asymmetry is good but maybe the highlights should be more symmetric. Like this:

Freedoomguy-lineup_bg.png.3fdff359622743180c4221cfd602709e.png

To me, that already looks great.

This is how it looks stretched by the engine (+20% height):

Freedoomguy-lineup_bg-stretched.png.2cfdaa53a15c305f8bcd2a7362bc2693.png

Edited by Ferk

19 hours ago, Ferk said:

Thanks, I also wanted to point out that Haaslok's face seems to not take aspect correction into account (it's quite noticeable on the comparison pic where Doomguy's face looks definitely wrong without correction.

5 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

Thanks, I also wanted to point out that Haaslok's face seems to not take aspect correction into account (it's quite noticeable on the comparison pic where Doomguy's face looks definitely wrong without correction.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, Ferk said:

I knew it was going to be stretched and I'm fine with the way it looks. I probably should have posted modified versions instead.

Here's a select update. Original on top, stretched on the bottom. Tell me what you guys think.

I have most of the heads done now. I still have to do the turned heads.

Freedoomguyupdate-lineup2.png

This is a dumb newbie question for sure, but...

I tried testing the portraits in-game and the position is off.

I threw the pngs into Slade and simply save it as a wad. Where did I go wrong?

4ea020b1-f0e6-4333-b5f1-e787dea948d6.png.a68a76a2a237107baee63656ae988f53.png

Might be preferable to fork the Freedoom repository, upload your files to the graphics folder (replacing the current head sprites), and make a pull request. That way you can get your changes to merge. I have compressed the sprites if you want to upload to Github and I also made a WAD with the sprites converted as a "Doom Graphic." Played through Chocolate Doom and it looks good, the 20% extra height didn't cause much of a problem for the sprites at least.

WAD Download: 8bithead.zip

Compressed PNG Sprites: compressed_head_sprites.zip

13 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Might be preferable to fork the Freedoom repository, upload your files to the graphics folder (replacing the current head sprites), and make a pull request. That way you can get your changes to merge. I have compressed the sprites if you want to upload to Github and I also made a WAD with the sprites converted as a "Doom Graphic." Played through Chocolate Doom and it looks good, the 20% extra height didn't cause much of a problem for the sprites at least.

WAD Download: 8bithead.zip

Compressed PNG Sprites: compressed_head_sprites.zip

Thanks. I still have much to learn, apparently.

Is this what you mean by "converted as a Doom Graphic"? It looks like its turning it into a greyscale image.hmm.jpg.8ddc2fcbdd113d99a07729915290cd47.jpg

I just tested it in Chocolate Doom. It looks like how I wanted it to look. I used all of the same colors I found on the original head sprites. I figured that would keep it compatible. I guessed wrong, I suppose.