Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NeptunesTyrant

[WIP] Technopath: Dark Frontiers

Living dead, malevolent spirits and monstrous horrors. Just another day at the office right?

Except this time you're not a bad-ass space marine. You're just some schmuck with a torch and a large Fire Axe hoping the guards left something useful lying around.

Can You get out alive and stay sane at the same time?

Demo Level: Technopath.7z

STATS:

IWAD: DooM II

New Enemies, Weapons and Textures

Currently 1 Survival Horror Themed Map

Built with DoomBuilder and SLADE

Tested with both Zandronum and GZDoom

GL Rendering required for Torch and Flare effects.

Screenshot_Doom_20180719_004028.png.3cec9e720c26456db45e4153d5061ae5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180718_161530.png.d0543af9044065804bcc7dc79119f48e.png

I'm guessing this is a map for GZDoom?

You should always state the target source port, and in GZDoom's case the version number isn't a bad shout either. 

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

I'm guessing this is a map for GZDoom?

You should always state the target source port, and in GZDoom's case the version number isn't a bad shout either. 

3 hours ago, NeptunesTyrant said:

Tested with both Zandronum and GZDoom

GL Rendering required for Torch and Flare effects.

I did. Though I suppose I should state GZDoom 3.4.1 then.

1 hour ago, NeptunesTyrant said:

I did. Though I suppose I should state GZDoom 3.4.1 then.

What you tested on and what you designed the map for are not necessarily the same thing.

Just to explain, typically someone designs a map for a specific format (vanilla, limit-removing, Boom etc.).

Everyone has their own preferred source port to play on though, so in addition to listing which source port they originally designed the map for, mappers also test other source ports to see if it works. 

GZDoom tends to play Zandronum SP maps, but Zandronum can't necessarily play GZDoom maps (if you utilized more of the advanced features). So it sounds like you either targeted Zandronum, or accidently made a GZDoom map that works on it.

When you loaded up GZDoomBuilder, what format did you select? E.g. GZDoom (Doom) Doom 2, or Zandronum (Hexen) Doom. That's an easy way of knowing which source port you targeted. 

Very creepy map.. The flashlight, enemies and weapons all meshed well together. I really liked it up until towards the end. My hp got low and I got lost and with that red tint and heartbeat it became to annoying to finish. If the map was a bit harder (some monsters being faster maybe?) and the screen effects were reduced heavily I'd like it a lot more. That's not to say I didn't like it -it really nailed the creepy and slow paced atmosphere - but other parts sorta let it down a bit.

Here's where I got to until I quit due to screen effects

Edited by xvertigox

Fine map, however, screen effects are annoying, and my sanity hasnt dropped even once. What causes it?

37 minutes ago, DoodGuy said:

Fine map, however, screen effects are annoying, and my sanity hasnt dropped even once. What causes it?

Certain enemy's attacks cause it, mainly the zombies (to represent them slowly zombiefying you) and the Blots (Who attempt to possess you).

There are some warning messages at startup about invalid data for textures  TX_ANIM and TX_SKIES. I suppose they are simply marker lumps that could be removed?

Also about truncation of floating point constant in  DWEAPONS line 179. I suppose you use a float value (7.5 in this case) for a parameter that only accepts integers?

I've finished the map. Six monsters escaped me, looking at it more closely they were the monsters from the blue skull closet. For some reason, they never woke up and so they didn't move to the teleport line. Ammo was tight, despite using the axe for all melee-only monsters, I also had to use it for some projectile monsters, including to finish off one of the scrags. (The first had been polite enough to move to the line of barrel and so was economically dispatched, but the second ate all my ammo and then some.) On the other hand, I now realize I had picked up a sentry gun and never used it. It could have helped me quite a bit I suppose.

Overall, pretty good work, a bit short perhaps?

Edited by Gez

Similar to resident evil I think the concept of this game. Dark type game for I thinks it's less scary. If you've completed this game??

<a href="https://darktechnopath.blogspot.com/">Dark Technopath</a>

there is a bug in dmonster, line 412: you forgot sound name argument for `A_CustomMeleeAttack(random(3, 9) * 5, "", "Melee", true)` -- `true` is 5th argument, not 4th.