Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

Random HOMs

Question

So, Im building a map for DMP2018, and when I tested it with PrBoom, I noticed some random HOMs where they're not supposed to be.

This only happens with PrBoom. I tested with GlBoom and GZDoom and everything is fine.

HOM.png.f8438a645cabc1e0d87315a15a98a71c.png

All linedefs has textures, so I dont know why this happens.

4 answers to this question

GL ports render levels differently than ports using software renderers, hiding some problems, and amplifying others. Perhaps try another engine with a software renderer, and see what happens.

As to reasons you see HOM: Are all sectors closed? Could there be a line with the wrong sector number in your room's walls? Have you tried to rebuild the map with a different node builder? Again, GL ports typically rebuild nodes on map load, using a very different process than the normal map build. So, rebuilding standard nodes may help software renderers, but not affect GL renderers.

Also, try to cut and paste the offending area into a new map, and see what happens: The problem may become revealed. But, if the problem persists in the small new map, you can submit that map to the forums without revealing your new map, and the experts here can find what's wrong.

@kb1 I'll try that tomorrow, thanks for replying!

EDIT:

I copy-pasted the area into another map and in the new map there's no problem.

The problem persists in the original map.

Edited by DanielAlexander

Not sure if you've fixed it yet but when you copy n' pasted it into a new map, the issue might have fixed its self when the vertices snapped to grid.

Check your original map, zoom in and make sure your lines and vertices in the given area are all closed/connected as needed. ~ then run your node builder.   

On 7/20/2018 at 10:11 PM, DanielAlexander said:

@kb1 I'll try that tomorrow, thanks for replying!

EDIT:

I copy-pasted the area into another map and in the new map there's no problem.

The problem persists in the original map.

Try to cut and paste the area from the test back to the original map.

EDIT: 2018/07/27:

@DanielAlexander So, did you try this last test, and did it work (Or did you figure it out anyway?). Cut and Paste often has a 'cleansing' effect on connections between what was and was not cut. Placing it into an intermediate map forces such connections to be severed from both maps, so it can be pasted back without any dangling references. In theory :) This is true of many programs, so it's worth a shot.

Please let me know if it works. Good luck.

Edited by kb1