Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ferk

Tweaking Freedoom guy's face

Greyscale? That is weird, have you tried to set the palette to Doom? I had no problems with SLADE. I should mention that there are many options to use in SLADE to help know what you are putting in a WAD, like aspect ratio correction, resolution, color depth, etc.

lZUcN4J.png

I haven't seen too many sacrifices in detail when converting the sprites to 8bpp Doom graphics, so overall it looks good in-game. As for compatibility, I haven't really noticed any problems with that.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, GuyNamedErick said:

Greyscale? That is weird, have you tried to set the palette to Doom? I had no problems with SLADE. I should mention that there are many options to use in SLADE to help know what you are putting in a WAD, like aspect ratio correction, resolution, color depth, etc.

lZUcN4J.png

I haven't seen too many sacrifices in detail when converting the sprites to 8bpp Doom graphics, so overall it looks good in-game. As for compatibility, I haven't really noticed any problems with that.

OK, I see. I made my own wad and it works in Chocolate Doom. Nice.

I uploaded my sprites to the github, or at least I think I did. I hope you guys see it on your end.

A bit off topic, I've been trying to mod the enemies and weapons. I don't know what I did wrong. I dumped the pngs into Slade, copied the offsets from the original sprites, and converted the pngs to Doom gfx. I loaded the wad up in Chocolate, but the modified frames are simply missing. However, the same process works for the HUD face.

Is there something special I have to do for weapons and enemies?

1 hour ago, Haaslok said:

I uploaded my sprites to the github, or at least I think I did. I hope you guys see it on your end.

A bit off topic, I've been trying to mod the enemies and weapons. I don't know what I did wrong. I dumped the pngs into Slade, copied the offsets from the original sprites, and converted the pngs to Doom gfx. I loaded the wad up in Chocolate, but the modified frames are simply missing. However, the same process works for the HUD face.

Is there something special I have to do for weapons and enemies?

Have you made a repository and uploaded the files online? There should be a commit with 42 changed files, which should be all the head sprites. You could link your fork here, though if the files uploaded successfully, you can make a pull request to the official Freedoom repository and try to merge that commit.

About those weapons and monsters, have you added some start and end marks? To add these marks, there should something to add a new entry on the top of the window, from there it'll prompt up a window to type a name for the lump. For sprites, it would be SS_START and SS_END. All sprites should go between those marks. You can use the up and down arrows to move these marks to where you want them to be. You would also need to use the -merge parameter since they are sprites in a PWAD.

24 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Have you made a repository and uploaded the files online? There should be a commit with 42 changed files, which should be all the head sprites. You could link your fork here, though if the files uploaded successfully, you can make a pull request to the official Freedoom repository and try to merge that commit. 

I made a fork, uploaded the files, and made a pull request. Here's the link

I believe that should do it. I was afraid of overwriting anything I shouldn't have.

28 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

About those weapons and monsters, have you added some start and end marks? To add these marks, there should something to add a new entry on the top of the window, from there it'll prompt up a window to type a name for the lump. For sprites, it would be SS_START and SS_END. All sprites should go between those marks. You can use the up and down arrows to move these marks to where you want them to be. You would also need to use the -merge parameter since they are sprites in a PWAD. 

OK, I am am not familiar with this. Is there a resource that elaborates on this further?

33 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

I made a fork, uploaded the files, and made a pull request. Here's the link

You uploaded them to the root directory.

They should not be there, but in "/graphics/", replacing the existing ones: https://github.com/Haaslok/freedoom/tree/Haaslok-HUDface/graphics

Remove that branch and create a new one with the files in the right place.

Also I don't think you created the pull request, it should be showing up here with the other pull requests: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pulls

In your branch there should be a "Create pull request" button, you need to press there, then write some short description and finally submit it.

Edited by Ferk

38 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

OK, I am am not familiar with this. Is there a resource that elaborates on this further?

Ferk responded to the Pull Request part so I don't have anything to add there. With SLADE, there is an "Online Documentation" under the Help tab (or you can go here), though you could mess around with SLADE to know your options. Now about those marks, you'll need them so that source ports can display the sprites in-game. It should look something like this.

WSKJb4d.png

There are icons above obviously, one of them is to add a new entry and pop up a window to type in the name, that way you can add those marks.

I was uploading the sprites through my web browser.

Should I commit them through the desktop app instead from now on? I was initially going to do that, but I was worried about messing with other's work.

github_commit.jpg.5dca9501f13bee7facc6616b80c523e0.jpg

15 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Ferk responded to the Pull Request part so I don't have anything to add there. With SLADE, there is an "Online Documentation" under the Help tab (or you can go here), though you could mess around with SLADE to know your options. Now about those marks, you'll need them so that source ports can know they are monster and weapon sprites. It should look something like this.

WSKJb4d.png

There are icons above obviously, one of them is to add a new entry and pop up a window to type in the name, that way you can add those marks.

Thanks. The documentation was right there, I should have been more observant.

Alternatively, if you don't mind the tinkering and you are gonna keep contributing, you can follow this guide:

That way you can build the freedoom.wad from the sources and you could just change the PNG files directly and rebuild the entire wad which should automatically take care of the start-end marks, offsets, etc. That's what I was doing... although that's also why I didn't provide a smaller wad.

EDIT: ow.. I think we posted almost at the same time... I didn't see you had just commented about that

You are not gonna mess up other people's work just by using the Github app.

Honestly using the web browser probably would be fine. But I think it would be preferable to use the desktop app if you plan to continue following the project, because that way you can update your fork (ie. you can "pull" from the main upstream version of freedoom), so your version is up to date before you make further changes to it in case there are conflicting changes. I don't think you can do that from the web (someone correct me if wrong), so your fork will remain in the version it was when you forked.

Edited by Ferk

35 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

I was uploading the sprites through my web browser.

Should I commit them through the desktop app instead from now on? I was initially going to do that, but I was worried about messing with other's work.

Ferk already explained quite a bit, but one thing I should mention is that the Github desktop app would show if you are replacing files rather than adding (which you'll be doing to replace the current head). From what I can see in the image, you added them to the sprites folder but didn't replace the the current head on the graphics folder (which is where it should be). It'll be important to know what files you'll be replacing and where they would be found. It'll look something like this.

c78slT5.png

Best to start a new branch over as mentioned and have the commit you need to make a pull request.

9 hours ago, Ferk said:

You uploaded them to the root directory.

They should not be there, but in "/graphics/", replacing the existing ones: https://github.com/Haaslok/freedoom/tree/Haaslok-HUDface/graphics

Remove that branch and create a new one with the files in the right place.

OK, I see how to make a pull request, but my "pull" is full of these commits that I don't want. It looks like a mess. Can I still make the request? Can you just discard my bad commits?

1011935626_itsamess.jpg.30327c7f1198567ba11d7b235f52a012.jpg

Graphics: New HUD faces should be the one you want

You could remove your past commits entirely and try again if you insist on using the branch you're using. If you have something like Git Bash installed, you can go to your local repository, go to the branch with the commits, and delete them entirely so you can the commit you wanted in again. Though as mentioned, deleting the branch, starting a new one, and cleaning up the local repository would be much easier.

For Git Bash, this is what I find myself doing (though there are probably better options):

cd Documents/GitHub/freedoom
git checkout [your-branch]
git reset --hard HEAD~# (# being the number of commits you want to remove)
git push origin +[your-branch]

2 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

For Git Bash, this is what I find myself doing (though there are probably better options):

An interactive rebase is safer than a hard reset.

Use:

git rebase --interactive HEAD~#

Then you should see an editor with a list of the commits. Replace the pick with squash for every line except the first line.

Edited by Manuel-K : last -> first

Thanks for the help guys. I took GuyNamedErick's advice and simply nuked my entire branch and started over.

The pull request looks like its up. I made some changes to the faces and I optimized the images using PNGGuantlet.

I was was thinking of starting my own art thread; similar to Raymoohawk. I'll also make some pretty heavy criticisms of the game's creative direction as well. It will all be done in good faith, I promise.

Is there an agreed upon story for Freedoom yet?

Anyways, I've been messing around with the pickups. Here's the clip, small armor, and small health.

items.png

The pull request looks like its up. I made some changes to the faces and I optimized the images using PNGGuantlet.

I was was thinking of starting my own art thread; similar to Raymoohawk. I'll also make some pretty heavy criticisms of the game's creative direction as well. It will all be done in good faith, I promise.

Yep, the pull request is up and everything seems good. Should be able to merge without any hiccups. As for the art thread, you're welcomed to do so as there aren't many who are willing to tackle the current sprites ever since Raymoohawk seemingly disappeared. There are many sprites that could be touched on, so go as you please if you see improvements to be made.

Is there an agreed upon story for Freedoom yet?

There were story proposals in the past, but nothing really advanced beyond that. You could find some of the past threads and take a look at what was given, though I guess the text screens are there at least.

Anyways, I've been messing around with the pickups. Here's the clip, small armor, and small health.

Might be better to make said thread and show your artwork from there so they don't go unnoticed in other threads (such as this one). I do like the pistol sprite there.

I really like those sprites, but I feel like they may be too close to id's designs for Freedoom. From left to right, they look a lot like the Doom 64 clip, the Doom 4 armor shard, and Doom 3's adrenaline. I'm not sure how much of that was intentional though.

3 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I really like those sprites, but I feel like they may be too close to id's designs for Freedoom. From left to right, they look a lot like the Doom 64 clip, the Doom 4 armor shard, and Doom 3's adrenaline. I'm not sure how much of that was intentional though.

I understand your concern.

For the "clip", I did take some inspiration from D64. However, with that said, I don't believe Doom has a monopoly on the video game representations of pistol magazines. I made the effort to make it distinct from the D64 sprite (red band, witness holes on the side, flipped the direction that the magazine is facing).

I feel like your case holds even less water with the other two sprites. You're drawing parallels with fully 3D items. The small armor is meant to be a military battery (It has a pulsing white light). I suppose I did take some inspiration from it, but again your comparing a 2d sprite to a 3d model. 

The small health is indeed supposed to be an injector of sorts. However making the comparison between the D3 injector never crossed my mind. Does Doom have a monopoly on red/white medical injectors? I don't believe so. I just wanted to make a smaller version of the medium health.

Pretty sure I've seen someone vaping from something that looks identical to item 3.

12 hours ago, Haaslok said:

items.png

I'm probably overreacting after a discussion I started here made me realize that the do's and don't's of this project were more strict than I'd thought until then. My main concern (which, like a lot of concerns in general, sounds a lot sillier when finally expressed out loud) is that someone at Zenimax might also overreact, and while I wouldn't be in agreement with them in such a situation, they'd still get the last word.

I like the clip. The other two are also nice but I think Raymoohawk's armour and health pickups don't need replacement.

I had to look up what the Doom 64 pistol clip ammo looks like because I don't remember, and honestly I don't think there's such a strong resemblance that we should get concerned.

I noticed your PR for the new face seems to be stuck in limbo: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/542

It'd be a pity to leave it at that. If you don't mind, I could take the hair and some of the eye expression from your art and improve the current face to reach a compromise without losing the expressiveness of the old one:

stfst01_scaled.png.7169fcd60cde4d2231d0f08b35a01091.pngstfkill0_scaled.png.42bbd6cd45dbc074ca4b84a77b3ce618.png

Edited by Ferk

On 9/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, Ferk said:

I noticed your PR for the new face seems to be stuck in limbo: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/542

It'd be a pity to leave it at that. If you don't mind, I could take the hair and some of the eye expression from your art and improve the current face to reach a compromise without losing the expressiveness of the old one:

stfst01_scaled.png.7169fcd60cde4d2231d0f08b35a01091.pngstfkill0_scaled.png.42bbd6cd45dbc074ca4b84a77b3ce618.png

I kinda preferred my own. I put a lot of effort into defining every little detail within a small canvas of pixels. Not easy to do. There's a lot of information in the old one that is unclear or misleading on the structure of his face.

Also his face feels kinda fat and I prefer my version's cheekbones.

Sorry I haven't been updating my thread lately, I have other personal projects as well as my job.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:33 AM, Haaslok said:

I kinda preferred my own. I put a lot of effort into defining every little detail within a small canvas of pixels. Not easy to do. There's a lot of information in the old one that is unclear or misleading on the structure of his face.

Also his face feels kinda fat and I prefer my version's cheekbones.

Sorry I haven't been updating my thread lately, I have other personal projects as well as my job.

I have to agree here, Your version of the face does look much better, It's keeps the look but improves on it a lot more.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, Ferk said:

I really like this one, more than the other one, just looks so much more "alive" if that makes sense.

I was about to say that at least the angry face should be more like that since before that he looks like he has the not-angry-guy face
Though I do like the faces we have in the game itself though. They look more good and original, but the only ones I WOULD edit are the looking faces since they look a little creepy.