Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jointritual

What do the different like / reaction buttons mean?

My current usage plan is:

- megasphere for high quality posts

- invulnerability for unwholesome posts

- invisibility for when a post makes me feel schadenfreude towards its author

I'm not sure exactly where i'm supposed to put this thread at, so forgive me if there is a more fitting board. (And sorry for any shitty grammar)

My thinking is for a "level" of liking a post, hence reaction, which can vary.

For me, I look at them like so:

Soulsphere = your standard like, everyone likes Soulspheres.

Blursphere = I guess I like it, in a way. Protects from hitscans but sucks for projectiles in Doom so kinda like a half-n-half like.

Invulnerability = Oh yea! Feels great! Solid idea, solid post, solid meme. You could do anything!

Megasphere = NOW WE ARE IN BUSINESS. Best thing ever! Full refill, full epicness. Thank you so much!

I think they should be formalized to mean Like, Agree, Thanks, and Funny, but which is which?

They all literally mean the same thing. "Like"

It just makes it so there has to be an extra click to like someone's post.

-Blursphere: I partially agree.

-Soulsphere: I like.

-Megasphere: Love it.

-Invulnerability: Godlike.

Whatever you imagine the soulspheres standing for, at least they get rid of (mostly) all those „+1“ or „Yeah, nice!“ posts. It‘s just easier and better to just like a post. The poster gets the feeling of „people actually read my post“ and the forums don‘t get spammed.

On that note I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised that the general behaviour in the DW forums is incredibly civil, friendly and especially productive. I am online since around 1994 and while a rather civil behaviour was standard back then, it rapidly declined around the time of ISDN and more people being able to join online communities. And let‘s not talk about Facebook. 

So, good on you, dear Doomworld members. Haven‘t seen this in a long while and really, really appreciate it. 

25 minutes ago, elend said:

Whatever you imagine the soulspheres standing for, at least they get rid of (mostly) all those „+1“ or „Yeah, nice!“ posts. It‘s just easier and better to just like a post. The poster gets the feeling of „people actually read my post“ and the forums don‘t get spammed.

On that note I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised that the general behaviour in the DW forums is incredibly civil, friendly and especially productive. I am online since around 1994 and while a rather civil behaviour was standard back then, it rapidly declined around the time of ISDN and more people being able to join online communities. And let‘s not talk about Facebook. 

So, good on you, dear Doomworld members. Haven‘t seen this in a long while and really, really appreciate it. 

The mods and admins deserve praise as well. Doomworld's bigwigs such as Linguica and Essel do a great job of shutting down uncivil behavior, kicking out toxic members, and drawing proper lines without being overbearing (except from the perspective of Neo-Nazis). I've seen a lot of forums with the potential to be decent, judged on the quality of many of the posters, turn out to be unpleasant because those in charge tolerate that.  

Edited by rdwpa

13 hours ago, Solmyr said:

-Blursphere: I partially agree.

-Soulsphere: I like.

-Megasphere: Love it.

-Invulnerability: Godlike.

I thought about this "rating" in the thread @Aquila linked above. However, @Doomkid's argument was pretty convincing. Of course one can rate a post, in a personal way, but it's still a "like", whatever icon one chooses, since we want to avoid discussions about why does my post deserve only a blur and that moron a mega. Meanwhile, I tend to click the soulsphere as the usual "agree with / thanks" and the other orbs rather for marking a post (I tend to notice that diabolical grinning invulnerability quickly)

16 minutes ago, Pirx said:

(I tend to notice that diabolical grinning invulnerability quickly)

Probably partly because of me. I always use the invul, as I detailed in the thread I linked.

Whichever powerup I use means I like the post - and I usually don't give out "likes" unless I feel it actually deserves one. Nothing more or nothing less.

I don't know why some of you guys actually bother to pick one. Chances are the author of the post you liked has no idea what your way of rating the like symbols is, thus rendering your efforts completely worthless.

5 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I don't know why some of you guys actually bother to pick one. Chances are the author of the post you liked has no idea what your way of rating the like symbols is, thus rendering your efforts completely worthless.

Maybe we should add a section somewhere in profiles that mentions the user's definition of the spheres????

Nah, thatm ; ight be too smart for this site.

14 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Maybe we should add a section somewhere in profiles that mentions the user's definition of the spheres????

Nah, thatm ; ight be too smart for this site.

Maybe @Linguica can either explain what they're supposed to mean or go back to having one.

i don't know why it matters so much, its just amusing to have them around. i guess if i had to attach any meaning to them, i'd pick the powerup most relevant to the thing i'm liking. a dangerous slaughter screenshot might get the invuln sphere, a megasphere for the guy posting their escape with 2 hp, and so on. heh

On 6/14/2018 at 10:40 PM, NeedHealth said:

Also I am an oldhat who prefers writing a post saying thank you instead of just pressing a button. 

That works as well, but personally, I like having a 'like' button, because sometimes I see a thread full of very useful, thought-provoking or just plain nice comments and since I don't have all the time in the world, it's just more expedient to hit a like button instead of writing a lengthy post, quoting about +20 people to say "thank you" to each of them.

Whenever a post doesn't have any reaction on it I like to use one of the other 3 powerups so it shows up as it just to screw with people because they're so used to seeing the standard soulsphere everywhere.

Some context with each icon would help a lot so people would know what to choose so it's not just aesthetics.

2 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

Whenever a post doesn't have any reaction on it I like to use one of the other 3 powerups so it shows up as it just to screw with people because they're so used to seeing the standard soulsphere everywhere.

It only shows up for you. 

TcCKVqF.png?1

Hello , just a random question because I'm curious and I've time to spare.

A lot of people use the like button for various reasons. You can like with different spheres in Doomworld (Invulnerability , Megasphere , Soulsphere and Invisibility). So , how do you use those features? Do you use the like button just for really interesting posts or maybe you have the compulsive desire to use it for all the messages you see ? Do you have a code with the different available spheres ? (For instance , soulsphere for cool post , invulnerability for really interesting projects like BTSX E3) Or maybe you just like using them for fun?

For my part , even if  seeing posts with tons of likes is cool , I almost never like posts. It's not a habit for me , whether on facebook, on doomworld or other sites with this system. I usually prefer to reply when a message really interests me.

You don't like things so much as sphere them. Just like Pokemon.

I do use the like system and i tend to just use it for posts that i agree with and/or really like. I usually tend to just use the regular Supercharge powerup (Soul Sphere) as it's the first one to click on (show's you how lazy i am most of the time haha).

I also tend to like posts that are quite old (usually without even realizing it) as i will come across a post that i really like or agree with while i'm randomly browsing the forums, so i'm just going to apologize ahead of time to everybody just in-case some of you end up getting a notification for an older post.

We already had like 4 other topics similar to this but whatever. I have no meaning to any of them but I usually select Partial Invisibility because I like this one the most (I guess) though sometimes I just directly press like and not wait for the rest of the icons to show up out of laziness or when there's a row of posts that I like but I don't want to spend time thinking which powerup is appropriate lol.

Soulsphere: Something I like/agree with.

Megasphere: Something better than that.

Invisibility: Something that isn't/wasn't/won't be, mentioned in the respective post.

Invulnerability: Good stuff.

59 minutes ago, Mister Xiado said:

All pickups from all DooM games should be added, just for the sake of madness.

"User so-and-so blue-key-carded your response"

Why stop there?

I wanna show my appreciation of someone's post with a 5 Skulls Shish Kebob.