Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seed

PrBoom+ and aspect ratios

Alright, so I was trying to make PrBoom+ run with the vanilla 4:3 aspect ratio, but didn't have much luck with it so I figured I should make a topic and ask for help.

More specifically, what I fail to achieve is making the black bars appear vertically, but setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 and using the -width and -height commands doesn't make this happen. I also tried changing the Screen Multiple Factor to 2 and combined with the previous settings I got closer to what I want, except for the fact that the bars appear horizontally.

Both Chocolate and Crispy get this right, so I suppose I'm missing something, but what?

If you're using an nvidia card, right click your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". Once open, click "Adjust desktop size and position" on the left, select the "Aspect ratio" scaling mode, set "Perform scaling on:" to GPU, and check off "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs". I think.

10 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Both Chocolate and Crispy get this right, so I suppose I'm missing something, but what?

Your monitor isn't taking a 4:3 resolution as is and is instead stretching it out. Both chocolate and crispy are doing the fixed aspect ratio themselves, but are in reality drawing to a much wider screen resolution. PRBoom+ doesn't do this sort of thing (it's not designed for virtual screen rendering, was never meant for it) so your monitor has to do it instead with the real resolution, but your monitor doesn't seem to be designed to do this as expected. Bonnies steps will presumably rectify this by making your GPU do it instead.