Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Did anyone get stuck in the first room of Map18?

The idea of shooting a switch must have been quite surprising back then. Are there any stories of people getting stuck there for a really long time?

Not map18 so much.. but there is an area in map27 that I noclipped out of the first time I was there. It like an arena fight then eventually you have to shoot a wall to leave the area. Had absolutely no clue I had to shoot a wall to leave.

My moment of surrender came exactly ten maps later when I was asked to shoot a wall of flayed skin.

No, but I do recall getting stuck in MAP19 back in the day.

Oh yeah, I remember getting stuck in that level lol

Same for the downtown one too, finding that key door was really hard for me

I don't remember hearing any stories about it. I assume that people just see an angry face with its mouth open and shoot. A Duke Nuk'em game would be totally different.

Admittedly, yes. As a young kid, I thought the developers just got really lazy and needed to throw a breather map in there, but I was still confused about why the exit door was locked. I would just IDKFA and immediately exit. Now I know better... it's just Sandy being Sandy.

You can???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

*Me looks at you people*

tenor.gif?itemid=5682454

The first time I ran through Map18, I did admittedly have to look up the Doom Wiki to find out how to progress.

2 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

My moment of surrender came exactly ten maps later when I was asked to shoot a wall of flayed skin.

And who was responsible for both of these questionable design choices?

sandy-grin.jpg

The ending of the spirit world is much dumber. At least that entire area in the courtyard is optional so you never have to step foot in it. 

I never did. The Spirit World was a very strange design choice, but it's what made me start attempting to punch everything that I thought I could activate if I couldn't use it.

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

You can???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

*Me looks at you people*

tenor.gif?itemid=5682454

I have the same answer as catpho

i never get stuck in that level, my instinct say, hit the door, and worked :U

No, not really. Maybe for a few moments. There is not much going on in that little starting room to get you stuck there for too long to be honest. You have two basic game mechanics that you as a player can perform and it's either pressing the use key or shooting so if one of them is not working, might as well try the other.

God I hate shoot-switches. It just leaves me confused, making me wander a level seemingly endlessly until I stupidly figure it out.

Well it isn't like Tricks N Traps didn't have shoot switches around. Map18 isn't the map that introduced them, and they are still optional so it only hurts if you go to the stupid maze area.

Not really. Got stuck in some other levels but really, what option do you have in that starting area?

If humping it won't work, then shoot.

Nope, never got stuck in Doom 2, neither in MAP18 or 28. Didn't surprise me that the door had to be shot, either. It's the little things that make you remember a map sometimes...

I did get stuck once, but it happened because of a really stupid reason: I tried to open it with the Plasma Rifle, and since I didn't know that that weapon doesn't trigger that kind of line I just ended up getting stuck.

58 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I did get stuck once, but it happened because of a really stupid reason: I tried to open it with the Plasma Rifle, and since I didn't know that that weapon doesn't trigger that kind of line I just ended up getting stuck.

I never had to experience anything like this as, as far as I can discern, modern source ports like GZDoom allow projectile weapons to open doors, and I only really got into Doom starting last year.

For me it was "Downtown" that stumped me the most my first time through. 

43 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

I never had to experience anything like this as, as far as I can discern, modern source ports like GZDoom allow projectile weapons to open doors, and I only really got into Doom starting last year.

Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, and PRBoom replicate the vanilla behavior, so only hitscans can active shoot switches in those ports.

Ah, the younger days of me playing Doom 2....

I see i wasn't the only one that didn't get how to get out from that room back then, so...

There were multiple PWADs that used "shoot to open" switches and doors, so it was not really an issue.

The Sandyism that always trips me up is his teleporter shenanigans. "Oh yeah, teleport to this pad, then go backwards off it, and then get back on it again to go somewhere new.  That's the only way to progress, because if you walk forwards, and then come back onto it, it just goes back where it came from."

MAP18 wasn't an issue but I remember being stuck on Tenements for what felt like months, and I have no idea why.

10 hours ago, Odal said:

And who was responsible for both of these questionable design choices?

sandy-grin.jpg

Sandy, you tricky devil. 

3 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

MAP18 wasn't an issue but I remember being stuck on Tenements for what felt like months, and I have no idea why.

tenements, i remember get stuck in that level, but i cant remember why  I think it was because I could not find a switch

I never got stuck in Map 18 maybe that's because i played Quake I and II before Doom II so i got acquainted with triggering switches by shooting at them, but i remember getting stuck in Map 12, 13, and 19th.