Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Popular/highly rated WAD's you're not a fan of?

31 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Partially agreed, but I dunno, I think the layout is fine most of the time, although there are a few levels with a somewhat cryptic progression such as Shore Dream, and MAP29 or 28, don't remember exactly which level it was, involve a lot of backtracking which can easily lead to confusion.

I worded myself horribly, I just think that at some points in E2 the layout focuses itself more on creating an atmosphere, which is great if you're into that but sometimes hallways and rooms are comically large and progression can come to a standstill.

The only one i can think off is hell revealed. As for few others here, im not fan of the gameplay as well

Partially agreed, but I dunno, I think the layout is fine most of the time, although there are a few levels with a somewhat cryptic progression such as Shore Dream, and MAP29 or 28, don't remember exactly which level it was, involve a lot of backtracking which can easily lead to confusion.

You're thinking of MAP28 which is based off of Eternal Doom's MAP12.

I actually really like Epic 2 except Eternal loves to put required switches in corners a lot. I take the time to memorize where each and every switch is on every map and what they do, regardless of what wad I'm playing.

Hell Revealed, Scythe I and II, Memento Mori 2, and Ancient Aliens. Not that I regard any of them as 'bad' mapsets, I just don't gel with the gameplay (Ancient Aliens, Scythe series), the map design and aesthetics (Memento Mori 2), or both (Hell Revealed).

Two wads stand out for me here:

1) Epic 2 after map 13 iirc, when it has totally given up on the Egyptian theme, in order to go to space, with those invisible hitscanners and the rest. I believe that this wad shouldn't have been here, because of how excellent it's first 11 maps were. I had never seen an Egyptian themed wad being so perfect, both in gameplay and aesthetics (I still think that no other wad has nailed this Egyptian setting so much) and it was a real shame that the theme didn't last until the very end of the wad.

2) Scythe 2 after map 15 I think. I loved the first Scythe and I had great fun with Scythe 2 in the beginning, since it kept changing the setting every so often, plus the gameplay was as challenging as it should be, but I feel like the Revenant spam at the last levels I played made me quit the wad.

No End in Sight. Have tried several times to get into it. Cacowards winner or not, but its abstract level design feels more of a nuisance to me, rather than something that supposed to make it stand out.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, NuMetalManiak said:

Valiant, Beyond Reality, and any other wad I can think of with custom content that is more annoying than fun. Ancient Aliens and Struggle are fairly balanced overall and are exceptions to this.

I liked Valiant's custom monsters more than the ones from Struggle. When I played Valiant I liked all the customs (Except for maybe the Arachnorb), but whenever I saw Anafriests or Anaterasians or whatever they were called, I always thought "God Damn it, not more of these". Maybe it's just because they seemed kind of bullet-spongey (Anaterasians would have been much better if they were garunteed to go go down in two SSG shots). Also, the Valiant monsters seemed to fit in better with Doom, probably because they're all modified versions of Doom monsters, rather than Heretic reskins. This is why I like the Sprectrocaco from Struggle more than the others: It was a modified Doom monster, not a modified Heretic one. 

The weapons in Struggle were amazing though. Not sure how a drill machine is a better weapon than a chainsaw, but it was. Take down an archie with that drill in five seconds, no blasts taken.

8 hours ago, R4L said:

KDiZD. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I kept getting stuck way too often, with not enough ammo.

Yeah, this would be my answer, too. I don’t think there was anything appealing about this wad to me. Maybe the intermissions...

Edited by Dragonsbrethren

I'm not really a fan of anything that replaces the vanilla monsters and/or weapons with DeHacked variants so stuff like Valiant pre-Vaccinated Edition and STRAIN never sat well with me. I find the vanilla monsters and weapons to be damn near perfect so to muck with them is, at least for me, kind of sacrilege. I'll still give it a shot and some WADs that fall under this managed to surprise me (like Temple of the Lizardmen/2/3/4 though I think that's actually Decorate, correct me if that's the case) so there are exceptions to the rule. However, generally speaking, if it has some form of DeHacked, I just kind of brace myself with a sigh and try to keep a somewhat open mind despite my own biases. I just like and prefer for the use of custom enemies/weapons to be a choice made by the player.

Also, anything with death exits puts me in a bad mood so there goes the entire Scythe series.

I also ain't a fan of most puzzle WAD's so Artifact is a huge miss for me. Ironically, about the only WAD series I tolerate to even like the use of puzzles is Eternal Doom.

Finally, I've never been a real fan of anything kristus has put out. Everything I've played by him has been (for me) an unfun slog, like wading waste deep in sludge levels of progression in terms of feeling like I'm getting anywhere. I forgot what his Heretic release was but that was pretty much the epitome of unfun for me.

Edited by Nems

Scythe 2(mind you I love Scythe 1), Memento Mori, Alien Vendetta. Had to be there when they came out I guess.

I completed KdiZD recently and thought it was ok. Never really read anything that got my expectations up before playing it though. I will say it has too much key and switch hunting for my liking.

Edited by pulkmees

On 7/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wanderer said:

No End in Sight. Have tried several times to get into it. Cacowards winner or not, but its abstract level design feels more of a nuisance to me, rather than something that supposed to make it stand out.

This reminds me so much about why I hate Xaser's maps. Super-abstract design coupled with hard secrets and shotgun guys everywhere. Or just lack of where I need to go without suffering horribly.

Hell Revealed 2.

Not the difficulty, because it is intentional. However, the maps, save for a few, either get super crampy, or humongous, unbarren and sandbox-y. The constant, sweat-smellingly exaggerated "hard metal" that makes about 70-80 per cent of the soundtrack is unappealing and cacophonic - and when they're only part of an otherwise beautiful music (MAP14, MAP25) it sure makes me want to break something. The architecture can get neat here and there, but most of the time, it is cheap and forgettable. Oh, and the absolute worst are stacked big ammo pickups on the exact same spot. I don't know how, but I get irritated every time 58 shells get rounded up to 100 just for the fun of it.

Most of the classic 90's wads really. I had a bit of fun with MM1 and 2, but most of the other releases were a big miss for me.

Sunder, mostly in the 2nd half. The first 7 maps were a nice progression of various visual and gameplay ideas, and after peaking with the macro-slaughter of map07, it's mostly downhill from there. While the latter maps still look cool, monster placement and encounters feel a lot more phoned-in and untested. map14 is a pretty good finale, but the facerolling Viles while invul shtick is repeated 3 times, which is at least 2 too many. 

I'm going to sound like a treasonous heathen, but BTSX. I dunno, all the maps seem a little too homogenous and start to blur after a few maps.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, R4L said:

KDiZD. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I kept getting stuck way too often, with not enough ammo.

In my opinion biggest problem about KDIZD is the lack of visual languages. With the amount of unnecessarily detail you can easily overlook place where to go and get stuck and frustrated fast.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard made me want to tear my hair out. Its the only wad I've ever outright deleted from my computer. The difficulty is wack since the first map is wayyyyyyy harder than the following maps. Between the teleporter puzzle on map 8 and the mandatory secret key in map 11, I was ready to chuck my computer out the window.

• Ancient Aliens (too hard for me, and when played with Trailblazer, still got confused and lost interest by 11-12)
  • Plutonia 2 (That goddamn green maze full of Archies made me want to throw my PC out the window)
  • Valiant VE/Sunlust (see AA; its a shame, I love the prettiness of the levels, just not the combat and flow)
  • Scythe II (Scythe 1 is vastly better from my perspective, though I do like the Egyptian levels on this)
  • D2wIDd (I find DwIDd to be very good, but the Doom 2 version doesn't click for me)

I'm quite a heathen I guess.

7 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Plutonia 2 (That goddamn green maze full of Archies made me want to throw my PC out the window)

Oh god, i remember how i rage in this level. one of the worst doom level i played mostly because of arch-viles, though.

8 minutes ago, eharper256 said:
  • D2wIDd (I find DwIDd to be very good, but the Doom 2 version doesn't click for me)

Yeah, same, I think some levels in D2TWID are of impossible ugliness.

Oh well, at least it plays well in general, but DTWID is superior to the sequel.

Doom 2 design is overral worse than doom 1so im not that surprise that D2twid is turned out to be worse. They made it in ID style and ID failed in some d2 levels.

I'm probably in the minority here, but Speed of Doom is just far too frustrating for me to like. I did enjoy it on HNTR though. I personally loved Scythe 1 and 2, Sunlust, Valiant and Ancient Aliens (at least the first 2 episodes, third episode is a bit of a mixed bag when the levels aren't by Skillsaw, except that well cool sky/cloud level!) so I don't hate slaughter fests, but I just don't see why SoD is so highly regarded.

Alien Vendetta starts off really good, but then get's really inconsistent after the first episode for me.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:51 AM, Nems said:

I'm not really a fan of anything that replaces the vanilla monsters and/or weapons with DeHacked variants so stuff like Valiant pre-Vaccinated Edition and STRAIN never sat well with me.

I also never liked Vaccinated Edition stuff. If I have to play a megawad that uses DEHACKED with ZDoom gameplay mods, I take a look for a patch first. Otherwise, I play it normally. The reason why I don't like Vaccinated Edition stuff is that they are, for the most part, stripped-down versions of the megawads and that they change gameplay into something less original.

ancient aliens

cyberdreams - its a good puzzle type thing but it isn't really doom-like

brutal doom - I know this isn't a level wad but I need people to know that brutal doom is pointless and does basically nothing